3Y-E to 22RE swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at some YN65 and YN107 series JDM hiluxes.

The Y-series gas engines are terrible. Gutless and fuel pump has issues. Has anyone successfully thrown a 22RE in place of one of these engines? I can't imagine it's very difficult.

The 3Y-E uses a G52 transmission.

Also since the trucks are RHD this might cause issues???

Thoughts?

Not sure I'd want to go through all of that trouble for a 22RE.
There are newer, better motors available, that aren't 20 years old and tired.

3RZ, 2TR, 1UZ, 5VZ, R2.8 come to mind.

Use one of those motors and adapt an R150/R151 transmission to the transfer case behind The G52.

Not sure I'd want to go through all of that trouble for a 22RE.
There are newer, better motors available, that aren't 20 years old and tired.

3RZ, 2TR, 1UZ, 5VZ, R2.8 come to mind.

Use one of those motors and adapt an R150/R151 transmission to the transfer case behind The G52.
Thought of doing a 1UZ or 5VZ. I have experience working on the 5VZ, it's a good motor, but man it gets horrible fuel economy for what it is.

Thought of doing a 1UZ or 5VZ. I have experience working on the 5VZ, it's a good motor, but man it gets horrible fuel economy for what it is.
after going 5v swap, there's simply no way to take a 22RE seriously anymore.
the mpg is a joke but the RE hp is a bigger joke. especially with big rubber etc.
if i stay under 70 i pull down 15mpg on 37s/4.30s
my stock truck with 22RE never saw over 20, typically 17ish. so for over double the hp, ill take the mpg hit.

Considering that you'd have to regear to get the 22RE into the power band if you go larger than stock tires, at $5k after it's all said and done (I know, you found the gear sets and bearings for $50 on craigs list, and you've got a buddy who can put the diffs together for a case of beer) you can buy a lot of fuel for that money.

But really if you're concerned about fuel economy, swapping a motor isn't your most cost effective solution. Best thing to do is to repair the fuel pump issue with the motor you've got, and drive like grandma is sitting in the in the passengers seat with an uncovered punchbowl full of her special party punch.

As for big wheels and general abuse, my LN106 hilux gets hit with that. It's diesel and SFA.

The gas Hilux would serve as a winter commute vehicle, with a large portion of the driving being highway driving, where the speed limit is 70. On snowy days maybe I'll be doing 50 or 60. And, its over 100 miles roundtrip each day, four days a week. In the middle of buttfuck nowhere. Roads are pretty bad especially in the winter as I get closer to the work site. But majority is highway.

The truck I was looking at is a 95 YN107, so it's four door, IFS front. I'd pick it up cheap (under 10grand) because it is not running. Body and interior are nearly flawless. Right hand drive.

This isn't something I am going to wheel, I love my other Hilux for that.

Also the other consideration here is the engine output:

(From Wikipedia)

22RE
Output 78 kW (105 hp; 106 PS) at 4,800 rpm and 185 N⋅m (136 lb⋅ft) at 2,800 rpm

3Y-E
Output 65 kW (88 PS) at 4,800 rpm, 155 N⋅m; 114 lbf⋅ft) at 3,400 rpm

Not amazing power level difference and honestly, I don't think it would be worthwhile to do the work for those power outputs, especially with the time involved with building your own wiring harness OR buying one. I'd just rebuild the 3Y-E and have your machinist do a port/polish job on the head with oversized valves, and see if you could source a header.

Now, lets take a look at the 3RZ and 2TR.

3RZ-FE (95-2004 Tacoma, 4Runner, T100)
Output is 150 hp (112 kW; 152 PS) at 4800 rpm with 177 lb⋅ft (240 N⋅m) of torque at 4000 rpm.

2TR-FE (2004-present Tacoma)
Power is 118 kW (158 hp; 160 PS) at 5,200 rpm, and 25.1 kg⋅m (246 N⋅m; 182 lbf⋅ft) of torque at 3,800 rpm

3RZs came bolted to the W59 transmissions, which IIRC is the same bellhousing pattern as the G52 (you might call MarlinCrawler to verify).

If it were me and I was looking for a reliable, fuel efficient DD pickup, I'd look for a 4cyl Tacoma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom