Tranny Rebuild -Shadetree Mechanic Style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW...talk about DIY Jimmy.

So, is your rig going to be ready for Toys for Tots? :grinpimp:

I assume 'no write up needed' on this one, as the tranny rebuild text is a good one?

What's your time frame for this?

Really nice.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Jim it looks like you are well on your way.it I can be of any help let me know and I will come up.

absurdum80 said:
Great pics, keep us posted.

One question - doesn't the tranny weigh a ton?
How'd you get it in your workspace to begin with?

g.

Yes, the tranny does weigh a lot but i managed.
I've got a small storage room off the garage that is an ideal place for controlling dust. I closed the heater vent and used that space.

Rich,
Thanks for the info. I noticed they are in Warren, MI so I assumed Toyota may farm this out.

Onur,
I am planning to be finished before Thanksgiving, with testing and all. By next weekend I should have it back together and at least under the rig.

Larry,
Thanks for the offer, but don't take time away from your engine problem.

baxter650 said:
3 years on a rebuild, i hope you at least gave them a call to tell them they suck at rebuilding.

Well, most of the problem is my fault. I was persistent with a couple hills in the past years that I would not let them beat me. :D

But the most satisfaction I'll get is that I rebuilt a auto tranny myself. :cheers:

cruiserdan said:
If it's the 09350-36010-01 yes, it is discoutinued.

So does this mean we won't be able to get our trannies rebuilt?

One thing that bugs me about the thought of owning my 93 80 for the next 30 years is the prospect that I could need a tranny rebuilt and not be able to find a competent person to do it. After all, the tranny in my 80 was only available in the US for two years. So how many could have been sold? How much experiance is out there?

Compared to the turbo 350 in my FJ55 anyway. I will always be able to find someone to rebuild one of those.

Jared

I just got off the phone with SPX OTC and individual parts are available for order. I only asked about two parts (pricing next to them). I went ahead and ordered the 06060-01 part. The other parts (Check ball spring compressor) I will be fabricating at home with are peice of bar stock.

Info below is for future search requests:

1991 1992 A440F Transmission Special Service Tools:

Part Number____Description
09350-36010-01 Master Kit for A440F Tranny SST.
09350-06010-01 NO. 2 PISTON SPRING COMPRESSOR
09350-06020-01 NO. 3 PISTON SPRING COMPRESSOR
09350-06030-01 NO. 1 PISTON SPRING COMPRESSOR
09350-06040-01 OIL SEAL REPLACER
09350-06050-01 HANDLE
09350-06060-01 TRANSMISSION REAR BEARING REPLACER $31
09350-06070-01 EXTENSION HOUSING BEARING REMOVER
09350-06080-01 EXTENSION HOUSING BEARING REPLACER
09350-06090-01 PLATE
09350-06100-01 CHECK BALL SPRING COMPRESSOR $75.24
09350-06110-01 NO. 1 MEASURING TERMINAL
09350-06120-01 NO. 2 MEASURING TERMINAL
09350-06130-01 EXTENSION BAR
09350-06140-01 OIL PUMP PULLER
09350-06150-01 OIL SEAL REPLACER

How to order:
Phone 1-800-933-8335
Business Hours:
8:00 am - 6:00 pm EST
Fax 1-800-578-7375
or
1-586-578-7375
Mail SPX Corporation, OTC
28635 Mound Road
Warren, MI 48092-3499

Last edited:
Jared,

Serious maintanance on your rig will prevent the need for a rebuild. My bro in law's got 293,000 miles on his untouched tranny. I think JK's being too kind to his rebuilder. With the smaller engine in his FJ80 and the heavy duty transmission, there's just about no way he should have been able to damage it in proper shape. This exact tranny was used for years in a 30,000lb GVW city bus in Japan. It's tough as nails, but can be defeated with poor maintenance just like any mechanical device from a bicycle to an Abrams tank.

DougM

Got the following information from this web site HowStuffworks

"Automatic Transmission Fluid Oxidation
Automatic transmission fluid will provide 100,000 miles of service before oxidation occurs under normal operating temperatures of about 170°F. Above normal operating temperatures, the oxidation rate doubles (useful life of fluid is cut in half) with each 20° increase in temperature.

The approximate life expectancy at various temperatures is as follows:

175°F 100,000 miles
195°F 50,000 miles
212°F 25,000 miles
235°F 12,000 miles
255°F 6,250 miles
275°F 3,000 miles
295°F 1,500 miles
315°F 750 miles
335°F 325 miles
355°F 160 miles
375°F 80 miles
390°F 40 miles
415°F Less than 30 minutes

This information clearly shows why transmission oil coolers and the various maintenance intervals are recommended for severe usage.

Above 300°F, the metals inside the transmission will warp and distort in varying degrees depending on the severity of overheat. Because this damage occurs and fluid life is so seriously impaired, rocking out of snow, mud or sand should never exceed a very few minutes
."

Well, the FSM states that the A/T oil light will come on after the temp is raised above 150ºC (302ºF). The light goes off when the temperature falls below 120ºC (248ºF).

Last edited:
jklubens said:
Got the following information from this web site HowStuffworks

Tech Tip Corner
Transmission Fluid

"Automatic Transmission Fluid Oxidation
Automatic transmission fluid will provide 100,000 miles of service before oxidation occurs under normal operating temperatures of about 170°F. Above normal operating temperatures, the oxidation rate doubles (useful life of fluid is cut in half) with each 20° increase in temperature.

The approximate life expectancy at various temperatures is as follows:

175°F 100,000 miles
195°F 50,000 miles
212°F 25,000 miles
235°F 12,000 miles
255°F 6,250 miles
275°F 3,000 miles
295°F 1,500 miles
315°F 750 miles
335°F 325 miles
355°F 160 miles
375°F 80 miles
390°F 40 miles
415°F Less than 30 minutes

This information clearly shows why transmission oil coolers and the various maintenance intervals are recommended for severe usage.

Above 300°F, the metals inside the transmission will warp and distort in varying degrees depending on the severity of overheat. Because this damage occurs and fluid life is so seriously impaired, rocking out of snow, mud or sand should never exceed a very few minutes."

Well, the FSM states that the A/T oil light will come on after the temp is raised above 150ºC (302ºF). The light goes off when the temperature falls below 120ºC (248ºF).

Hey, great post. :cheers:

THanks,

Got the rebuild kit on order from Axiom on Friday.

Here are some pics of the oil pump disassembled.

Enjoy
DSCF0593mud.jpg
DSCF0592mud.jpg
DSCF0591mud.jpg

Here's the drive gear of the oil pump
DSCF0588mud.jpg
DSCF0590mud.jpg

Yor are doing great Jim Keep up the work.And very good post to.

Seeing all those complex parts apart gives me the heebie-jeebies. Makes my head gasket project seem like an oil change by comparison - amazing pictures.

DougM

Thanks guys,

If anything is going to take the longest time it's going to be the analysis the oil pump and the stack up height of the transmission. If the stack up height is out of spec then you have to disassemble ( to a certain point) and use a thick/thinner trust bearing. That's my only two concerns with this project.

I'm self taught on everything else on a vehicle. The tranny was the last component to understand.

This is definately a :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: job.

Last edited:
Still very impressive Jim...very.

I assume you are basically following the ATF manual for the rebuild?

At the end of this, do you think you can give us a parts total, parts list, and hours put in?

THis should be a FAQ.... ;)

Wait..you can just give me all of those things at Toys for Tots....

-onur

Have you determine the root cause of the clutch failure? Is it fair to presume some other component failed first, resulting in insufficient pressure on the clutch plates?

beno said:
Still very impressive Jim...very.

I assume you are basically following the ATF manual for the rebuild?

At the end of this, do you think you can give us a parts total, parts list, and hours put in?

THis should be a FAQ.... ;)

Wait..you can just give me all of those things at Toys for Tots....

-onur

O-,
Purchase 1: A440F repair manual = $15.00 + shipping.

I would never attempt to do this without the manual, it's just too complex.

I can give the details at the end with parts that I replaced and the time that I spent on the rebuilt.

But what I don't want to do is to give someone the impression that this is an easy procedure. The results that ultimately killed the tranny was known from my past history an input from others, and knowing that this tranny was inferior to it's successor. I just pushed it too hard.
The bottom line, don't let the tranny be an "easy bake oven" :flipoff2:

I haven't drivin the cruiser for about a month, I can't wait for TFT :bounce2:

Last edited:
Rich said:
Have you determine the root cause of the clutch failure? Is it fair to presume some other component failed first, resulting in insufficient pressure on the clutch plates?

Rich,
With 95% accuracy I can say that the last time wheelin was the kicker. Going uphil in very loose sand lead to the failure.

With the shift lever position in Drive, The rear clutch (C2) is responsible for holding 3rd and overdrive gears. In the pictures the clutches that are burnt up is C2.

Well, while going up hill, the tranny kicked into 3rd for all 3 attempts I tried to go up the sandy hill.

The five clutches were the only items that were that bad. All the other clutch would have failed after C2. Nothing else failed that I have measures so far.

Last edited:
Well, I got the 'banner kit' yesterday and had a chance to click off some pictures of the kit.

This kit does not include the steels that sandwich in between the clutches which I needed.
I ordered a master kit from the head office, but the company sent it out via UPS ground. It's not going to arrive until tomorrow 11/18/05. Therefore, I'll be picking the steels up tomorrow and the guys at Axiom were kind enough to break the order up.

Enjoy

Edit 12-29-05:

When you order a rebuild kit for the tranny, you get replacement gaskets for all the A44XF variations. For example I got valve body rebuilt gaskets for an A440F, A440F w/o cruise control, A442F, A442F Turbo Diesel.
DSCF0595mud.jpg
DSCF0596mud.JPG
DSCF0598mud.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom