Tranny help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I were you , You would drop the transmission cover and clean it you never know all that nasty gunk buildup and stuck inside .

Doing an oil flush with regular tranny oil then drain and refill. That should do it. Now have to wait for a radiator.

When you say "Oil Flush", what exactly do you mean?

A simple drain a refill will only change the fluid that's in the pan (4-5 quarts), so it would actually take many drain/refills to clean up what you've got going on there :oops:

A bucket flush will allow the trans to pump out all the muck from the converter as you pump in fresh fluid :cool:

When you say "Oil Flush", what exactly do you mean?

A simple drain a refill will only change the fluid that's in the pan (4-5 quarts), so it would actually take many drain/refills to clean up what you've got going on there :oops:

A bucket flush will allow the trans to pump out all the muck from the converter as you pump in fresh fluid :cool:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-fluid-exchange-writeup.19299/ this is what I mean, I am just going to do it myself like in this thread seems simple enough, right?

Thanks, what do you recommend running through there?

Regular conventional ATF for the bucket flush.

I'm not a fan of switching to Synthetic on a high mileage motor/trans that has been using conventional due to seal swelling and whatnot, so I'd suggest doing a simple drain/refill with conventional ATF about every engine oil change just to keep it fresh.

I'm currently at 371,xxx miles on the original HG and original trans running conventional in everything and I do a simple drain/refill every other oil change (~10k miles)

Water in a trans is not good, coolant is worse, needs to be completely flushed out, ASAP. To flush it fully clean will take ~22-24qts of ATF.

Update... I did a tranny fluid exchange and about 95% of the milkshake came out. Now I'm waiting on my new radiator should come in next week and then she'll be all done.

...via IH8MUD app

Update... I did a tranny fluid exchange and about 95% of the milkshake came out. Now I'm waiting on my new radiator should come in next week and then she'll be all done.

...via IH8MUD app

Since you're mixing ATF and coolant while running with your current radiator, I would do a bucket flush once more with the new radiator and flush the coolant again as well.

Since you're mixing ATF and coolant while running with your current radiator, I would do a bucket flush once more with the new radiator and flush the coolant again as well.
I took out the old radiator out and put the fan back on and ran water through the engine to keep cool while doing the bucket flush for the tranny and I have no coolant in engine any more and the 2nd oil cooler for the tranny was flushed out. I threw in some Lucas fix it tranny fluid in the tranny. When I say 5% left it's probably residue. I ran 6 gallons through the tranny after draining it completely. I want to do a cycle for 4k miles to get the Lucas stuff a chance to break it all down before another bucket flush.

...via IH8MUD app

I took out the old radiator out and put the fan back on and ran water through the engine to keep cool while doing the bucket flush for the tranny and I have no coolant in engine any more and the 2nd oil cooler for the tranny was flushed out. I threw in some Lucas fix it tranny fluid in the tranny. When I say 5% left it's probably residue. I ran 6 gallons through the tranny after draining it completely. I want to do a cycle for 4k miles to get the Lucas stuff a chance to break it all down before another bucket flush.

...via IH8MUD app

... Now I'm waiting on my new radiator should come in next week ...

Why do you think that it's the radiator, is there any ATF in the coolant?

Why do you think that it's the radiator, is there any ATF in the coolant?
The old radiator leaked into the tranny cooler that sits under neath the radiator and that's how coolant got into the tranny.. There might have been tranny fluid in the radiator because of this causing the thick milkshake causing it to bubble from heating thus over flowing the radiator. And oozing into the radiator overflowing into radiator reservoir?

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom