Tranny Cooler Upgrade Planning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also PWR make a twin cooler kit, it’s pricey and I’m searching for pics, but the details are here:

Of course if the transmission was designed properly the torque converter would be locked much earlier, eliminating the heating issues which are common here on the VDJ’s when towing.

Also PWR make a twin cooler kit, it’s pricey and I’m searching for pics, but the details are here:

Of course if the transmission was designed properly the torque converter would be locked much earlier, eliminating the heating issues which are common here on the VDJ’s when towing.
I'd have to find it again but there is an aftermarket kit in Australia which includes a firmware change for the transmission that can change the lockup, shift points, and some other stuff, and can be configured differently between ECO and PWR settings. No idea if it works with the US models.

That's a good point. The threshold that I hit at 266°F engages the more aggressive factory lockup logic where it locks in 3rd gear and even into 2nd gear. From the dashboard, I can see that it immediately lowers the temps at the torque converter by 30°F, then tracking closer to the pan temps. However at my weight level, pan temps still continue to creep and with a long enough hill, will still get into higher temps. I've seen the pan temps get into 240°F+ on medium grades so lockup will only go so far.

It's arguable whether the factory logic is improper. I'd say that it's good. Automatics have more effective gear ratios than just the gears as the system uses the torque converter outside of lockup as additional dynamic gearing. It's why it unlocks when hitting mild grades to provide the engine just a bit more gearing. Then it'll downshift when it really needs more gearing. It also smooths out transitions. To your point, lockup does reduce heat and may eek a bit more MPG, but it's all a trade and I think the factory programming does walk a reasonable balance.

Last edited:
To your point, lockup does reduce heat and may eek a bit more MPG, but it's all a trade and I think the factory programming does walk a reasonable balance.
I’ve not yet used my URJ enough, let alone when towing, to comment on the trans behaviour to be honest, however there are plenty of local companies offering torque converter lockup kits and remaps for the VDJ200’s (Richard’s, Wholesale Automatics, etc) as trans temps and “loose converters” (heat generators) are a known weakness. No doubt drivers who think lugging in a higher gear rather than downshifting don’t help.

As a side note (and to add substance to my programming comment), there is another local company who have just started offering ZF 8HP70 - 8 speed auto conversion kits for the VDJ7* series. One of their initial prototype VDJ79 dual cab pick ups running a very tuned engine and 37” tyres could only manage to generate 51 degC trans temp when playing hard in the sand on a beach, due to the fact the TC locks after take off in first gear by design. This made them redesign their trans cooler system to include a thermostat.

www.8speed.au (no affiliation, just interested in what they have achieved!)

Just saw this thread. Subbed.

I put a GCS Hayden kit on my '21 Tundra. It works great, and the process is simple enough. Interested to see what people come up with for stateside 200s.

Doing this. Expecting 110*F+ temps during the next road trip.

1688181637350.png

1688180920811.png

Aux aux cooler is in. Decided to augment the stock cooler with another sequentially mounted cooler. Fit great and the plumbing worked out nicely.

Still need to bleed the system and put it to a real test before I vouch for this setup.

1688270518766.png

1688270659616.png

Anxiously waiting to see the results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom