Trailer Wiring harness bolt size (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know thread and bolt size for the traiker wiring harness bracket on a 2013 lexus lx570? I didn't thinknit would be threaded already and it is. I have the OEM harness and bracket I am putting on.

Anyone know thread and bolt size for the traiker wiring harness bracket on a 2013 lexus lx570? I didn't thinknit would be threaded already and it is. I have the OEM harness and bracket I am putting on.
M8x1.25 is a very common size for this kind of thing on our frames, though I haven’t checked those bolts specifically. I’m pretty confident that will be a good start.

Can confirm @bloc is on point and it is indeed an M8x1.25

I have some m8x1.25 and they were not it. I am rebuilding a 74 fj40 and have plenty of those.

I have some m8x1.25 and they were not it. I am rebuilding a 74 fj40 and have plenty of those.
Too big? If so M6x1.0 is the next step down. I can’t recall the common pitch for M10 on our vehicles, on top of that seeming like a very big bolt in that application

It's m8 just didn't have another pitch on hand. Went ahead and ordered the bolts from the dealership since they were the same cost from lowes

I just confirmed my 2013 LC is M8x.125. It was rough and I had to run a tap through it to clean it up though.

The bolt had a weird dual thread thing going on that I haven't seen before. The top 1/8" or so looked like a smaller thread.

It's indeed an M8 as I also verified not too long ago for someone else.

I just confirmed my 2013 LC is M8x.125. It was rough and I had to run a tap through it to clean it up though.

The bolt had a weird dual thread thing going on that I haven't seen before. The top 1/8" or so looked like a smaller thread.
Toyota often uses those into lower torque frame inserts that got painted with the rest of the frame. It is just a way to have the bolt avoid cross-threading when being installed quickly.

Hmmm. Alright my m8x1.25 just comes to a stop. Ill try running one in then.

Run a tap through first if you can.

Are the taps any good from harbor freight? I do not own any.

No not really but may work fine in a pinch for that. I have an older Craftsman set that is ok, but not sure what's good these days.

Give them a close look and make sure the threads are clean from where they cut the flutes (the notches). If they do a bad job there the sharp edges of the thread where they stop at the flute will be mushroomed out and do a very bad job of cutting/cleaning threads. That was the primary issue I’ve dealt with on cheap taps before. I threw them away or I’d post a picture of what to look for.

Alternately just go to an auto parts store. They usually have a few common sizes and will typically be much higher quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom