Trail tool kit for ATV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
I know there's an ATV section, but very little activity there, so I'm trying here.

My Step-son has a Honda Pioneer 1000 side-by-side, just got it this Spring. They use it often, there are tons of trails within 1/4 mile to their house. I'm concerned that they don't carry any tools or repair capabilities with them. A couple of weeks ago they were out coming home late at night and popped a tire, had no choice but the limp it home since they had their 3YO daughter with them (my grand-daughter). Any time I went off-road I always had lots of tools and parts with me, and often needed them, so this is not too cool with me.

Wondering about a set of tools to get them for Christmas. I've never worked on one of these things, do they have special tools? Is it realistic to, say, change a CV shaft out on the trail? Or should I just look for an assortment? What about an air compressor? Obviously space is an issue.

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Windzone Tool Kit could go with something like that , i dont know what they would need for the axle but depending on what their doing i would doubt they would break a cv axle.

Metric Tool Kits - CruzTOOLS i carry the kit listed on the bottom as well as the tool kits that came with the dirt bikes that i have

My buddy from high school and college is starting to make kits like that - but more geared toward flats/patch kits.

The Kitchen Sink 1.0

Speaking more from the motorcycle touring point of view - I'm not familiar with side X side at all. But the good advice I got is to do all your own maintenance and use the tools you will carry. That way you don't buy things you don't need. I'm guessing they have tons of carrying capability (especially compared to a single cylinder motorcycle) so they don't have to go ultralight.

I carry a small 12V air compressor that I stripped the plastic case off of. CO2 cartridge inflators work too but are obviously of limited capacity. ATVs often require unique tools (like surprising large sockets/wrenches for low torque fasteners like the nut in the Toyota solid front axle.)

My advice would be to get them in the garage turning wrenches, buy the required tools and carry them. For sure I'd want to be able to plug and inflate a tire, read an electrical schematic and be able to perform some tests (multimeter, fuses). If you really break something you're pretty much screwed, although I could see replacing a CV axle on my quad trail side if I was carrying parts and tools.

And that has me thinking about after dark repairs and this light is the absolute bomb - USB rechargable.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-40SL-L...12915808&sr=8-3&keywords=astro+led+work+light

Thanks guys for the feedback. Unfortunately they live over an hour away so I'm not really able to do much wrenching tutoring with them. Wish I could.

@Kris that patch kit looks like a winner, I'm impressed they make all the bags by hand. I do believe they have ample room in the back for that kit. Will probably order that one. Looks like they have tool kits in the works too.

I carry a old style tire plug kit, has the T-handle/reamer & the hook-eye to push a plug in, and 4-5) 4" of 1/4" square corded rubber & the tire cement.

Goo up the reamed hole, slam a plug & either heat it or wait (I wait, no big) - then I hit it with CO2 inflator/chargers.
Works for simple punctures, I've never ripped a sidewall or knocked the bead off completely.

Small enough to fit under the seat of my quad, even with my oversize battery.

I keep basic tools, but no room for a real toolset. The tire kit I've used 3x though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom