Trail communication and base camp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornadoalleycruiser

Erik TLCA #5303
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
Id like to start a discussion on communication. Cb only or do some of us want to get a ham license? Frs radios this year? There are clubs that have gone to stronger communications. Discuss

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Not yet. Heading to toyota museum today. Then sequoia national park later today.

Id like to start a discussion on communication. Cb only or do some of us want to get a ham license? Frs radios this year? There are clubs that have gone to stronger communications. Discuss

I like the idea of Ham, but have been very happy with the CB's ability on the trails. Problem has always been those that don't want to spend a little for a decent CB or getting it tuned with their antenna. No way they're gonna go to Ham. But I'll probably go Ham, looks like the process has been simplified even more too.

Where's Bob, he'd be the one to give us the 411

how about using the Voxer app on a smartphone

For SMORR at least, base camp is the only place with cell service. Once you're on the trails, it's spotty at best.

I looked into ham a few years ago, but decided not to pursue it since everyone runs cb or nothing at all.

I ran a cobra 29 in my truck and heep what cb's are you guys running in trucks? I can't really picture a clean mounting area in my LC. Maybe the ashtray but I'd like to keep it for small trash. I'd like to have the 29 but if there's a better more compact unit I'd be all ears. I don't like the idea of it being out in the open.

I was going to say walkie talkies.

Walkie talkies (CB or HAM) won't have enough range to cover the park. 2meter HAM mobile rigs would be your best bet. These radios have significantly more range. A full power mobile set up at camp with a good antenna on a 30ft telescopic mast should provide good coverage from the camp area. You could mount the radios in the rigs using a temporary power connection and a mag mount antenna, which would allow you to move the radios to different rigs.

Used radios can be purchased at HAM radio swap meets. There are usually several of those in the KC area each year.

For an additional cost, you could use dual band (2meter/70cm) radios. This would allow you set the base camp radio up as a repeater, which would allow all of the mobiles to talk to each other from just about anywhere in the park.

Bob, glad to see you join the discussion.

Would technician license suffice for what we would do, or would we need a general license? EDIT: 5 minutes of research got me the answer that a tech license will cover those bands, but for the same exam fee why not study for general as well.

If there is enough interest, I'd be game to get my license.

Last edited:
Ill get mine as well. Will u carry my books to class? If it will benefit the club

Colin. Do research first. Since Bob isnt local anymore i have a guy at work that would love to educate us as well. I think my computer arrived today so i can start reading but would rather u just tell me what to do. So get smarter my friend.

I'd be interested in getting licensed for HAM...Lots of options with HAM setups. I know that first responders + SARS teams will utilize HAM communications first over anything other form in an emergency situation...

Let me know what you guys come up with.

Regards,

BWJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom