HWM - 200 update and request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
So, after a looooong process with insurance, the damage my 200 sustained at HWM will be fully covered and the rig is not totaled. I've considered a million options and have decided to just fully repair repair it as it is only costing me $500 and calendar time. Its going to take about a month to get the truck into the shop and then its going to be 4-6 weeks to get it done. Ugh. I had trouble finding shops that would even do the work or were not backed up into October.

As my shop is down at the lake, I'm not really set up in KC to do some of the things I want to do. I could use a little help doing a few things before I drop off the truck for repair. The things I want to do prior to drop off are:

1. Pull my shocks so I can send them in for rebuild. Temporarily replace with stock shocks while truck is being repaired.
2. Potentially remove my front bumper. I want to reposition it anyway and I'm thinking its better for me to do it as I know how it is installed and the shop techs likely won't have seen a TJM bumper on a 200 before (though the same shop originally did the initial install but missed a few things I had to correct).
3. Remove KAON shelf, weboost, and ham antenna (easy).
4. Reinstall my diff breather extensions as they got too close to the manifold and have melted. With the fender off its it will be easier to do now.

The main thing is the shocks. The rear is easy enough but the the front struts will be hard for me alone without spring compressor and what ever else I would need. (I've never done the front strut install/removal.

Not sure what the best logistical options are. Could potentially do the work in my garage but space is limited and I have no lift and I'd need tools and jack stands etc. Thoughts? Also, would evenings or a Saturday be best? I don't want to wreck anyone's weekend so maybe a couple evenings? Beer and pizza on me?

If you want to borrow stands(4) and a jack I can provide. You'd have to pick up in Platte City as I am out of town for the foreseeable future. Shoot me a message and I'll arrange with you and my gf.

I won't be much help on the tools since I have a 2 week old baby I need to tend to. But, I can provide some relief the front shocks will come out as one unit and don't need a coil compressor to get them out. Should be fairly straightforward as long as your KDSS valves aren't seized.

Open the KDSS shutter valves NO MORE than 3 turns.
Lift the truck, remove wheels
Undo upper control arm connection to spindle [secure spindle so it doesn't stretch the brake line]
Undo the sway bar connection to the lower control arm
Loosen the lower shock mount
Loosen the 3x upper shock bolts [make sure that spindle is still secured so the lower control arm doesn't drop]
Wiggle out
[remove rear shocks]

Reverse for install.

Last edited:
If you want to borrow stands(4) and a jack I can provide. You'd have to pick up in Platte City as I am out of town for the foreseeable future. Shoot me a message and I'll arrange with you and my gf.
Thanks. I appreciate the offer, hopefully I can scrounge up for jack stands a bit closer to me if it comes to that. I do have a friend with a lift so I may try that first.

I won't be much help on the tools since I have a 2 week old baby I need to tend to. But, I can provide some relief the front shocks will come out as one unit and don't need a coil compressor to get them out. Should be fairly straightforward as long as your KDSS valves aren't seized.

Open the KDSS shutter valves NO MORE than 3 turns.
Lift the truck, remove wheels
Undo upper control arm connection to spindle [secure spindle so it doesn't stretch the brake line]
Undo the sway bar connection to the lower control arm
Loosen the lower shock mount
Loosen the 3x upper shock bolts [make sure that spindle is still secured so the lower control arm doesn't drop]
Wiggle out
[remove rear shocks]

Reverse for install.
thanks. Maybe this isn't as difficult at I thought. I know about what to do with KDSS (and I also know what happens when you go more than 3 turns, instant $1000 oh sh*t). I just thought I need a spring compressor to get them out. I guess that is only needed to set the pre-load?

If
You were closer we could knock all that out ina. Couple hours at the shop.

Also do you have stock struts to put in the front to go to the body shop? It won’t be mobile with them out.

In looking at my invoice, my BP-51s have only been on for 3.5 years and 33,000 miles. I'm not having any issues so maybe its not worth the effort now. Just thought since my truck was down anyway, it would be a good PM. The rebuild is free but I pay shipping to Seattle and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom