Toyota Valve set tool alternative? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mesurments

hi,
i would like to build the SST ,can any body post the mesurments of it ?
thans,
Harel

My 1HZ has never had valve shims done since I owned it. Got it with 505 k km now up to almost 600 k km and I want to tackle this job to make sure I'm not killing the engine 'from above'. I've got no record in any of the previous owner's service paperwork indicating valve shims being checked.

Has anyone actually got that Laser 4422 tool and confirmed that it will work in place of the Toyota SST? I too noticed the seller claiming to have around 50000 of them in stock - sounds like a ludicrous number to keep in stock and makes me curious if they are Chinese knock-off's (I don't know where Laser Tools makes their tools).

Craig.

Hi guys - my first post - hay!
Just received my first batch of shims for my 98 Jackaroo TDi common rail. Many members are looking for shims so try the Aussie people below. Jacka shims are 30.5mm for my 4JX1 engine. You just need to know what you need to set up a quote i.e. your shim diameter and thicknesses. Site is setup for easy entry of sizes for a quote so you will need to check whether you can obtain your diameter shim before you can order and that would also require you to bite the bullet and do the shim sizing and calculations and mechanicals. TAKE CAREFUL NOTES OF VALVES AND SIZING. Use the Spreadsheet I have included (this was for the dual camshaft - double inlet and exhaust valves for each of the 4JX1 four cylinders). These guys had all shims I required in stock on Monday and have today (Saturday) just finished installing them using my dodgy shim removal tool (similar to the ones on this site - just that mine is real dodgy welding. Still worked though). The Jackaroo 4JX1 engine has the shim edges spaced at 11.5mm apart. As mentioned by others the width of the centre tongue is critical and needs to be centralised properly. Save time and buy one you can machine back to your size. My thin cutting disk on the angle grinder fixed mine.
For the shims - I followed a suggestion from the Victoria 4x4 group for Precision Shims at Croydon Victoria Australia. Good service and prompt follow-up phone call. I couldn't obtain any shims of correct size from Holden or Isuzu in Australia and this was the only search result I found. Great way to extend life of my vehicle without painful valve replacement later. Big trips next year so trying to setup the vehicle early.
Will try to attach an Exel file to calculate required shim sizes. I've posted the final copy so you can see the various steps and what needs to be recorded.
If you have a six or eight cylinder just insert new columns needed and copy and paste required segments. Formulas are embedded in the columns/ rows so make sure you have a backup copy in case you mess up.

Hope this helps.
Richard

PS Sorry the excel spreadsheet wont upload so I have had to convert to a .pdf. This gives the basic idea. Formula used in the Ideal Shim was "=SUM(C9:C9,(C8-0.25))" without the quotes. This was for the exhaust valve with ideal clearance setting of 0.25mm, Substitute your model/ clearance details. Reference cells correctly then copy across the row. My blue border represents one column (A) and Row 1, to start with .

Attachments

• JACKAROO VALVE CLEARANCES RW 20Sep2014 FINALS.pdf
    105.8 KB · Views: 422
I did, but never used the tool. That is about to change as I am doing a major overhaul on the truck.

I will post results and photos when I actually do use the tool! :)

For those looking for valve shims in Canada (or the USA) - we keep in stock a very large selection of most of the common sizes. There are a few sizes at the far end of the range that we don't stock as we have never encountered them in engines that are working properly and machined properly.

Now, having said that, there are some very cheaply made off-shore heads on the market that use shims that are not common (either very thick or very thin).

We also have the SSTs in stock - we can rent the tool for local use.

~John

I did, but never used the tool. That is about to change as I am doing a major overhaul on the truck.

I will post results and photos when I actually do use the tool! :)

Hello Lallirafn, Have you use the tool, does it work?

Checked mine at 2500 hrs since the rebuild/ initial adjustment and all were within spec. That's 25% (fingers crossed) through the engines life with no adjustments required. Pretty damn good.

Looks like the SST will be collecting dust for a while. So if anyone kinda local needs a loaner, hit me up.

Hi Has anyone ordered the laser tool and did it work???

Hello Lallirafn, Have you use the tool, does it work?

Looks like Lallirafn may have forgotten to post again.

I bought the Laser 4422 tool and can confirm that it can do the job but you will need to modify it significantly.

The Toyota tool is designed to hook over the left side of the camshaft and so leaves the wider side open to remove the shims, this isn't possible with the Laser tool as the base of the inner hook is too thick to pass through the gaps on that side.

If you use the Laser tool on the right hand (when looking forward, as if driving) side of the camshaft the clearance is just too narrow to remove the shims so you will need to grind away some of the material of the central hook (the part that presses down on the buckets). It works pretty well once it's been savaged adjusted though.

Any pics of the modified tool?

It was just ground away as I found it not letting shims out, big lumps missing from the centre section. Not modified in any thought out pattern that you could replicate. I'll snap a pic later to show just how undesigned it looks.

The oem Toyota SST is no longer available via amayama or partsouq. Found this copy on eBay coming from Australia.
Has anyone given it a try?

For 60$ shipped, I am considering ordering one.

Done Countless 1hz shims over the years never used the tool - just a couple of screw drivers and a magnet. Never had a drama, never damaged anything, very quick and easy.

I have to say I think the sst is one of those very expensive non essential tools for working on cruisers, unlike the pump timing tool

any place we can buy shims in the us?
Yes, I have them in stock at RADD Cruisers just to the north of you.

I’ll be putting them up on my newly revised eCom site once I’ve gotten closer to completing the updates.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom