Toyota Valve set tool alternative? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, After many many many hours of trolling, emailing and calling tool shops, I think I may have hit the jackpot!...Voila! The citroen VS4747!
VS4747.jpg

Sealey Tools Valve Shim Adjustment Tool Citroen VS4747 - eBay (item 290349145346 end time Jun-09-10 04:11:10 PDT)

Half the price and its shiny!

Gord

Hi Gord,

but this tool, pushes down intake and exhaust follower buckets at the same time ?
thank you

Giacomo

Thats correct, the tool hooks onto the cam shaft and as you turn the lever it will press down on the rims of 2 buckets so that you can get access to the shims inside. However if you get the tool don't get the one in the picture you quoted because I don't know the actual dimensions of this one versus the actual Toyota one.

Thats correct, the tool hooks onto the cam shaft and as you turn the lever it will press down on the rims of 2 buckets so that you can get access to the shims inside. However if you get the tool don't get the one in the picture you quoted because I don't know the actual dimensions of this one versus the actual Toyota one.

Thank you CruiserGord,
then it can be acquired or not? it is useful really for that type of job?
Giacomo

The Citroen can easilly be acquired through online parts dealers but I have no idea if it will work on the 1HD-T engine. I tried to get info from several stores selling it but they never came through. The actual tool for the 1HD-T is over twice the cost. Lots of ppl have actually built their own home made bucket compressors to get the shims out but you have to go to other forum sites to get the info. Just use Google and start searching, there is info out there but it takes time to find. Check out the pic of the valve tool that has toyota stamped on the side...it also has the tool number as well. Just use that number and start googlin. Toyota part#09248-64010 also try 09248-64011(original tool #)

The Citroen can easilly be acquired through online parts dealers but I have no idea if it will work on the 1HD-T engine. I tried to get info from several stores selling it but they never came through. The actual tool for the 1HD-T is over twice the cost. Lots of ppl have actually built their own home made bucket compressors to get the shims out but you have to go to other forum sites to get the info. Just use Google and start searching, there is info out there but it takes time to find. Check out the pic of the valve tool that has toyota stamped on the side...it also has the tool number as well. Just use that number and start googlin. Toyota part#09248-64010 also try 09248-64011(original tool #)

Hi CruiserGord,
but I must regulate the valves of the 1HZ ,and not of 1HD-T.

Giacomo

The manual states that both the 1HD-T and the 1HZ use the same parameters when doing a valve set as well as use the same SST to get the job done. Sorry for the late post been away and internet was rare to come by.

VT if you didn't get my PM here is an update, I couldn't get that valve tool to work very well. I could depress the bucket but then I couldn't slide the shim out because the tool was in the way. Gonna keep trying some other methods with the tool and see what I come up with. Exhaust was the main issue with the Cam support being too close to slide the shim out. Need to rotate the engine to get the best angle of attack with the tool too.

Gord

Victory! The tool does work I just had a cam lobe a little too much in the way however the exhaust shim must be pulled out with the valve tool removed because the side of the tool and the cam support are too close and the shim too wide to get past. So the shim can be pulled out halfway then depress the valve tool and use a pair of channel locks (I used a set of GL-20) and leveraged the bucket down and use a magnet to pull the shim out the rest of the way. Once I figured it out I had all the shims out in 10 minutes. Putting them back in is even easier....just use the channel locks to push the bucket down and slide the shim in all the way. Oh forgot to mention the intake will come right out using just the valve tool.

okay-- so assuming that we figure out how to get the shims in and out:
Where do we get shims?

Anyone?

I really need to adjust my valves. I'm feeling like I've neglected my poor motor.

okay-- so assuming that we figure out how to get the shims in and out:
Where do we get shims?

Anyone?

I really need to adjust my valves. I'm feeling like I've neglected my poor motor.

I keep notes about what shim is in which location.
Then after measuring the play I know what thickness of shim I need because I know the value of the shim in there.
Now it's just a matter of looking or you can use one of the shims that has to be replaced in one of the other positions.
If not, just buy a new shim (and save the old one) at a partsstore or at the dealer.
I was able to buy a collection of used shims in different thickenesses (all in good condition) from the dealer for a few bucks (euros actually :))
If needed I can use them, but having said that, I hardly ever have to adjust the shims in the 1HZ.
The engine has done 250.000 kms and I think I have only replaced six shims so far, not because they were out of limits but just because I want to keep the value in the centre of the tolerance.

Thanks for that information
I'll try to contact a local parts store to see if they have shims.

in the US, diesel parts aren't easy to find (for toyota)

Could someone who has shims measure the outer diameter of the shims?

then I can ask for what a need.
Ideally, I would like to find a source before I take the valve cover off, so that I don't spend much time un-driveable.

Thanks!

I keep notes about what shim is in which location.
Then after measuring the play I know what thickness of shim I need because I know the value of the shim in there.
Now it's just a matter of looking or you can use one of the shims that has to be replaced in one of the other positions.
If not, just buy a new shim (and save the old one) at a partsstore or at the dealer.
I was able to buy a collection of used shims in different thickenesses (all in good condition) from the dealer for a few bucks (euros actually :))
If needed I can use them, but having said that, I hardly ever have to adjust the shims in the 1HZ.
The engine has done 250.000 kms and I think I have only replaced six shims so far, not because they were out of limits but just because I want to keep the value in the centre of the tolerance.

4wheelauto in Edmonton ,Canada has the shims.
if you don't want to have downtime,measure the valve clearance on everyvalve,figureout the shims you need from the shop manuals and change them when you have all the shims.
Simon
TLC winnipeg

looks like an approximate minimum downtime is however long it takes to get shims from Canada... a week or so, I imagine.

Anyone out there have shims that they can measure?
I can't help but wonder of a local toyota or NAPA or something would have shims, even if they cost a little more, I can't need more than 12 of the darn things and I imagine they should be closer to $2 than to $5, no matter where you buy them. Though I suppose I could be wrong.

thanks for posting that!
now that I know that I seek 37mm shims, I can call around, see if they are available locally.

Cool.
Love Mud sometimes.

37mm is for a 1hz and I would assume its the same for 1hdt. The kit I mentioned from silver seal is what I got and use in my cruiser.

37mm is for a 1hz and I would assume its the same for 1hdt. The kit I mentioned from silver seal is what I got and use in my cruiser.

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom