Toyota Valve set tool alternative? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yah VT, when I did my 1HD-T, the shims were huge.

Thats probably why the tool I had lent needed machining a bit, so it didn't grab both buckets. Buckets hold the shim on this design , you depress the bucket with the tool just enough to slip the shim out.
This tool is for the 33mm shims.

VT

in looking around online for 37mm valve shims I have learned two things: 1) they aren't easy to find unless you buy an entire set; 2) One of the few other vehicles that use a 37mm valve shim is the Lamborghini Jalpa (mid 1980's model).

Just another data point.

It looks like I'm going to plan on buying the big set. Anyone else want to split the cost?

A lambo has 37mm ??
I'll be back in the Mainland & next time I'll measure the kits I have.
I have a an Extra tool kits down @ YVR.

VT

Edit. Now I haven't done valve adjustments on Countach since early 1990's , but I'm pretty sure that their shim has a top because the bottom has small ring for the relief area that allows the lash ring to sit for quietness . If that fails , knock sensors retard timing.BUT the shim has a protruding bottom I believe, so take that into consideration. I'm pretty sure on this one , unlike my posted pix of the VW kits.

Edit , Wrong , Diablo was hyd. I forgot that updated.
VT

Last edited:
This is interesting thread. This style of shim is exactly the same as a vw scirocco from the 1980s. what is the thickness of the head of that far right tool in reply #18 VTCDN?

that would be a D16 D20 D24 or D28 VW / Audi diesels , 1984-1989 series .

Other one is the earlier style 1977-1984 .

VT

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread and as has been stated by others that tool in the op will not work on the 1HZ
I know because I own one I also own the correct sst from Toyota , how ever before I owned the sst I use to
depress the valve with a screwdriver (being careful not to scratch the shim or cam) and lift the shim out with a magnet .

If you are just working on your own 1HZ or you friend's I don't think you will benefit from purchasing the tool unless you just like buying tool's .

The tool in the op also comes with another tool not pictured YA8825-1 witch I did use on the 1HZ engine to hold the valve down wile I removed the shim but you can do it without the tool .

I hope this helps someone out a little bit .

Dave .

I recently found this thread and was surprised that some are trying to figure out an alternative for this tool, it is very precise but if you are doing valve adjustment on a Toyota diesel this tool is the ticket....and yes the SST tool is still available from Toyota, just not Toyota USA (or north America). I have them in stock, just used it for valve adjustment on one of my 1HZ engines, works awesome :D I will be selling them $200 USD.

Cheers,

Michael
DSC01933.jpg

I'm cheap too and don't want to pay a pile for the tool. Can a flathead be used to depress the bucket?....or is the spring's force that high? Or will i damage the bucket?

I'm cheap too and don't want to pay a pile for the tool. Can a flathead be used to depress the bucket?....or is the spring's force that high? Or will i damage the bucket?

I am sure you can probably make it work but what a PITA compared to having the tool.

Michael

I have heard that but considering how small the cup lip is, I am having a hard time imagining how to do it without possibly screwing the edge up

Well mate I'm a diesel mechanic and can tell you it is pretty easy to do without the SST .

You just leaver off the cam the vale spring are not that stiff that they will hurt anything .

You still need to take a bit of care but it can be done without damaging anything .

But if you want to buy the tool go for it there not that dear or if you are doing a few it is worth the investment .

I will give it a shot with the screwdriver. It would certainly be nice to borrow the tool from someone instead but There is no way that I want to fork out the cash for the actual SST

Didn't someone post a pick of a modified seal puller to do the job?
Been looking for that link but can't find it anymore.
Anyone?

Thanks,

LandCrusher80

I placed an order to silver seal for a set of the valve shims. They no longer carry them.
Anyone else know where I could buy a KIT of them?

Well, I had some downtime waiting for the SST to time my new pump, and so measured mine. Two of the intakes were 0.10 and 0.13.

I'm glad I invested in the compressor SST. Man, removing the shim out of the #6 cylinder would of been a PITA without it.

I just ordered the two I needed from 4WheelAuto. They stock'em in 0.5mm increments, so might have a whole kit to sell - so you don't have any downtime.

Another option would be Miller:
http://www.millertechnology.com/products.asp?cat=Personnel+Carriers
I sometimes deal with them through work and they stock everything. Not too pricey either.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom