Toyota Valve set tool alternative? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There you GO Gord !!!

Last edited:
ishobie,
I'd love to borrow your valve adjuster tool
PM me? depending on how often you need it, maybe we could set up a fund to repay you the purchase price and send the tool around. Sort of like netflix? seems that there are several people who could use it.

Sounds good, I only care if shipping is covered, and if it is lost or damaged that is covered as well. I'll be shimming 2 engines in june then it can hit the trail.

VTCDN, can I buy some shims from you????

This is great info! Thanks VT for your help in the measurements. Sealey emailed me back that they don't have any of the VS4747's in stock so he couldn't measure the foot of the tool. Ishobie thanks for the offer to borrow your tool as well as VTCDN. I will need it probably by the end of June but will keep you guys posted when that happens.

First I have to fix my turbo...something happened while driving it home from a camping trip last month but had to go to work before I could diagnose the issue. Lost all my boost while accelerating howerver with the actuator air line disconnected I had tons of boost so I think I got it figured out.

Mr Louis .(also where are you located ,i caught a snow sled on your-tube)
We don't know that the shims i have will fit.
The SET's sizes i have in Diameter are 30.99 mm ,,33.00 mm and 35.00 mm for there buckets, and all different thickness. I have sets that are 14.00, 10.50 mm also for the latest style..
These are not Toyotas sets. This is the first Japanese truck I have owned , ahh first Non-Euro also.

We need to know the diameter of the shim. I was just showing the set of how you can pick the thickness and adjust the clearance .

Let me look into the manual i have here and see if the size is listed.

VT

Do you just want to borrow mine? It's the proper one.

sandcruiser , i PM crusier gord in AB about the tool.

One gent said he would lend ^^ posted .

VT

I sent Sealey another message requesting more specific measurements regarding the foot. For now here is another pic of the real SST. How come yours doesn't look like that in your picture VT?
p4170023ma6.jpg

Hi all,

how much the genuine SST ?
its possible to find with part number in toyody ?
thank you

Giacomo

96R50- That tool presses down on the rim of the buckets that seat the shims. If you look at the one pic, with the tool hooked onto the cam, you can see the bucket being pressed down to allow access to the shim, in the pic the mechanic is using compressed air to pop the shim out but a small flat blade screw driver can achieve the same results.

For the Gent who asked about , "Bending the camshaft" , Got a chuckle , but if we were to bend it up , then as it rotated , it would , Ahh never-mind, Just being a SA.

Were using the Camshaft to push against the lifter buckets and depress the Valve spring , So we can slide the thickness shim out to replace it with a different thickness.
Plus I've only be able to break Camshafts ;) never bent one.. That make sense?

Thanks for the explanations guys. I knew that you don't actually bend the camshaft, but I was having a hard time visualizing where the force from the expanding tool was going. Now I understand that it is pushing down on the rim of the buckets so you can get the shim out.

Louis, any idea if that is the same tool used for the 1FZ? :hmm:

I used to borrow that tool from the dealership....Yes they are friendly....;)
I asked them or it was okay to copy it....no problem, so I did. And it works.

However discussing the matter with the mechanics they confessed they hardly ever use that tool.....
Two guys, one using a modified screwdriver (small ridge filed in the end) pressing on the rim of the bucket, the second one replacing the shim.
The force needed to press the bucket down apparently is not that big....

On a sidenote: Tried to find an aftermarket tool....unable to get one.
Asked for the price to buy from the dealer: 140 Euro!!!!! Around 165 USD
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2932.JPG

I used to borrow that tool from the dealership....Yes they are friendly....;)
I asked them or it was okay to copy it....no problem, so I did. And it works.

However discussing the matter with the mechanics they confessed they hardly ever use that tool.....
Two guys, one using a modified screwdriver (small ridge filed in the end) pressing on the rim of the bucket, the second one replacing the shim.
The force needed to press the bucket down apparently is not that big....

On a sidenote: Tried to find an aftermarket tool....unable to get one.
Asked for the price to buy from the dealer: 140 Euro!!!!! Around 165 USD

Hi Ron,

come stai ? tutto bene ?
tu sai se il part number dell'attrezzo su trova su toyody.com ?

Giacomo

Hi Ron,

come stai ? tutto bene ?
tu sai se il part number dell'attrezzo su trova su toyody.com ?

Giacomo

Hi Giacomo,
Si, tutto va bene!! Grazie.
How are you, getting on with the bumper and your project?

Don't know, but I copied the number from the original tool and it is: 09248-64011.

I'm not quite sure but I think it is a substitute for toolnumber 09248-64010

chiao, Ron:D (this was more or less all I know in italian!!:grinpimp:)

Last edited:
Hi Giacomo,
Si, tutto va bene!! Grazie.
How are you, getting on with the bumper and your project?

Don't know, but I copied the number from the original tool and it is: 09248-64011.

I'm not quite sure but I think it is a substitute for toolnumber 09248-64010

chiao, Ron:D (this was more or less all I know in italian!!:grinpimp:)

Hi Ron,

il tuo inglese è come il mio italiano

the bumper is ended, as soon as I can I send you some photo
I have tried to try the part number on toyodiy, but he seems that he does not exist
Ciao
Giacomo

Giacomo,
If I look in the repairmanual for my engine it lists the tool as:

SST 09248-64011

No further indication of the name of the tool but generally it's referred as: Valve adjustment tool

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to the photos!!

Ciao, Ron

Giacomo,
If I look in the repairmanual for my engine it lists the tool as:

SST 09248-64011

No further indication of the name of the tool but generally it's referred as: Valve adjustment tool

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to the photos!!

Ciao, Ron

Shown the same in Oz manual
SST 09248-64011 Valve Clearance Adjusting Tool. [SST=Special Service Tool]:cheers:

Giacomo,

I've been searching on toyodiy as well but cannot find it.
Under Standard Tools you will find only a limited amount of tools listed.
I assume they cannot deliver this tool.

Ron

Gents this is a tool that WAS used (1960-95 as last i know) Years ago.

there is a gent here, Canuk Sparkie , that will test one of mine.

I will take one other to another yota shop , and see.

VT

They still are available from Toyota.
If I wanted I could have bought one from the dealer at 140 Euro, but making my own was virtually for free. A strip of 3 mm sheet metal, a strip of 15 x 10 x 80mm rod and a strip of 5 x 15 x 100 plus an 8 mm bolt, some washers and two nuts were all I needed.
Took about an hour and a half to cut, file, drill and weld.
I seldom earn 100 Euro per hour...... :D

Last edited:
Ron

Good going on the football !!!

aS WITH THIS TOOL , I HAVE ONE THAT I HAVE SENT TO Gord in AB, if it checks out to work (good real tool) then gord and a few others can borrow and then send around ..

I will send a few shims to size also.
Gord says he's off on a tour of work for a bit.
We shall see.

VT

Ron

Good going on the football !!!

VT

Madness is over now :grinpimp:

Not bad what we achieved for a small country like the Netherlands.
Although I'm not a football enthousiast I had to look at the match against Spain...
Think it was not 'quite' fairplay from the Dutch players, but hey, stakes are high.

Think the Spanish getting the World Cup was right and related to the quality of their players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom