Builds Toyota HZJ75 Troopy interior build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice build. I followed along and hope that you guys are by now fully enjoying your trip.

I have an alucab top. It can get cold in Oregon at night and when sleeping up top there is no way for warm air from the Espar heater to reach the top. With my height I have to keep the small hatch door closed. Wondering if anyone has thoughts about how to get warm air to the top of the truck with the hatch closed.

Nice build. I followed along and hope that you guys are by now fully enjoying your trip.

I have an alucab top. It can get cold in Oregon at night and when sleeping up top there is no way for warm air from the Espar heater to reach the top. With my height I have to keep the small hatch door closed. Wondering if anyone has thoughts about how to get warm air to the top of the truck with the hatch closed.

Heated blanket?
In the latest episode of 4wdaction Shaun used one. Said his battery only went down by 20%.

I also had a look at heated blankets and was amazed at the low current draw - only 15w or so, so that might be a good option.

My setup is a bit different to the alucab as I made 'double end flaps', scroll back to my photos. This enables me to put my flap down, I need the length, and my wife can keep hers open to let the heat up from the webasto.
To be honest, we've only slept a few times with the heater on at night, only with real sub zero temperatures. During cold nights we usually just heat the cabin up with the heater before we go to bed, turn it off when go to bed and turn it back on in the morning during breakfast. Works for us.

I will check out the heated blanket solution. Hadn't thought of that. I'm running a 100 amp hour lithium battery. A thought for sure. I don't know why the top had to be such a tight fit.

I saw the double flap in your build. Not real sure how I can make that work as if I cut the hatch door there wouldn't be a support in the middle. That would be the ideal solution so the Espar could send heat upstairs.

Tony......would you happen to have a link to the video?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what batteries he's using but I'd guess a 100aH lithium will be plenty with a lot to spare.

He only mentions it somewhat briefly at

46:50
and
50:45

I will check out the heated blanket solution. Hadn't thought of that. I'm running a 100 amp hour lithium battery. A thought for sure. I don't know why the top had to be such a tight fit.

I saw the double flap in your build. Not real sure how I can make that work as if I cut the hatch door there wouldn't be a support in the middle. That would be the ideal solution so the Espar could send heat upstairs.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you...

Thank you.
Hi umpqua, we have an Alucab tent too, and have literally just cut the hatch door in half. It works brilliantly without any support in the middle. One does not tend to have too much weight on them when sleeping, and it still sits on the lip of the sleeping platform, just as before.

IMG-20190430-WA0007.jpg

The video ^, too many folk driving with their thumbs on the inside of the steering wheel and then with only one hand too - guess thumbs are optional with the east coast aussies...

cheers,
george.

Great Job I read the entire thread, very nice
Im on same journey just 3D scanned mine and getting to Aluminum cabinetry and components needs soon
Cheers from NZ

Good luck with your build!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom