Toyota Entune (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any thoughts/opinions anyone would like to share on the latest version of Entune app? Haven’t had a chance to play around with it but if it’s anything like the Apple CarPlay, I’d be thrilled!

Howdy! I have not had a chance to use it much, but I actually do not find it very helpful or useful. I may not have the latest app (not good with technology), but also curious if others use it. From what I can see, it only has a destination search, fuel guide, sports, stocks, and you can link some radio apps. I tried the destination search and it's easier than entering it into navigation, but not much.

My friend just bought a 2019 RAV4 and I saw the Apple CarPlay work and it's pretty cool. That would probably be useful in the LC.

I looked at Entune 3.0 (Android version) and unless I did something wrong, it is not supported for the LC.

What I did: Successfully installed Entune 3.0 to my phone. Started the app and it asked for the year and model. I inserted 2020 Land Cruiser. App replied it was not supported for my model.

I followed that up with an email to Toyota customer support asking why I could get CarPlay, Entune 3.0, etc on a $25K Corolla but not on a $90K Land Cruiser. As you might guess, no response (so far anyway).

I looked at Entune 3.0 (Android version) and unless I did something wrong, it is not supported for the LC.

What I did: Successfully installed Entune 3.0 to my phone. Started the app and it asked for the year and model. I inserted 2020 Land Cruiser. App replied it was not supported for my model.

I followed that up with an email to Toyota customer support asking why I could get CarPlay, Entune 3.0, etc on a $25K Corolla but not on a $90K Land Cruiser. As you might guess, no response (so far anyway).
I had this same conversation with Toyota. We tend to think of Entune as just an application, but in truth it’s primarily hardware. You can get a higher version on a lower priced vehicle because those vehicles have been updated more recently than the LC. It’s counterintuitive, as you would think the flagship vehicle would have the flagship entertainment system...

I tried it long enough to decide it's terrible. There's nothing on it that I needed, that I can't already do with Google on my phone. You're asking a car manufacturer to be a software company, and that's a game they will never win.

Any thoughts/opinions anyone would like to share on the latest version of Entune app? Haven’t had a chance to play around with it but if it’s anything like the Apple CarPlay, I’d be thrilled!

Don't bother even messing with it.

I tried it long enough to decide it's terrible. There's nothing on it that I needed, that I can't already do with Google on my phone. You're asking a car manufacturer to be a software company, and that's a game they will never win.

I understand your comment, and like you can do it all on my phone. But I would prefer the convenience of not having to take my phone out of my pocket and set it in an add-on mount.

Toyota doesn't manufacture any vehicle media systems and hasn't (at least for a long time). The 16+ LC headunit is made by Harman.

Harman's brands include the following: AKG, AMX, Becker, Crown, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, dbx, DigiTech, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft, Studer, Arcam, and BSS Audio. And then above Harman is Samsung - as Harman is a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung.

Pretty sure those companies, with the tiniest push from Toyota, could make a change to the LC multimedia system.

IMHO, this is entirely a Toyota problem.

That's an impressive list, I wasn't aware of all that. But, unless Toyota moves to an update model like Tesla does "over the air", then anything they put in a vehicle is out of date before it leaves the factory. Google/Apple/others will always be better, because they stay updated, not just the maps either. All the apps.

But maybe Toyota does this now? I honestly don't know.

I don't like driving with my phone in my pocket, so I have to pull it out anyway. It's just as easy to slap it on the mag mount, and when the Bluetooth sees it, the phone wakes up and my friendly Google Assistant is ready for service.

In the ‘17 LC it is THE worst OEM infotainment system I’ve used, even dating back to single DIN days. Well, maybe an overstatement there, but not far off. Until Toyota makes CarPlay available on vehicles, it’s a lost cause to use their OEM, IMHO. I use an iPad over the monitor and have everything I need, always updated. I use factory nav only for those rare times I’m out of cell range.

In the ‘17 LC it is THE worst OEM infotainment system I’ve used, even dating back to single DIN days. ....

I'm in 100% agreement - I have used the Entune system in my 17 for all of about 15 minutes. Probably 5 or more of those minutes was after getting some sort of update and hoping it got better - it didn't.

This isn't rocket science. Over a decade ago I paired an 7" touchscreen display (sourced from the old MP3car.com site) with a Dell laptop and had lossless music, FM radio, navigation, etc. If I could do it, surely Toyota could come up with a slick solution.

I'm in 100% agreement - I have used the Entune system in my 17 for all of about 15 minutes. Probably 5 or more of those minutes was after getting some sort of update and hoping it got better - it didn't.

This isn't rocket science. Over a decade ago I paired an 7" touchscreen display (sourced from the old MP3car.com site) with a Dell laptop and had lossless music, FM radio, navigation, etc. If I could do it, surely Toyota could come up with a slick solution.
Toyota is not going to invest in an update until the LC platform is refreshed. That’s their business model and we’re stuck with it, as much as that sucks.

Hey TOYOTA, ENTUNE SUCKS and if you don’t allow me to add Apple Car Play to my current head, that completely sucks and reboots ALL THE TIME while driving then you suck toooooo.

My rig is 10 months and 9,000 miles old and the head unit always reboots itself. The dealer says they are waiting on a firmware update to fix it and Toyota is aware of the problem.

Hey TOYOTA, ENTUNE SUCKS and if you don’t allow me to add Apple Car Play to my current head, that completely sucks and reboots ALL THE TIME while driving then you suck toooooo.

My rig is 10 months and 9,000 miles old and the head unit always reboots itself. The dealer says they are waiting on a firmware update to fix it and Toyota is aware of the problem.

Interesting. Had 16 which may have rebooted handful of times in 4 years. The 20 is two months old and no reboots. Is this is an issue for particular years?

My entune/radio/whatever is running have rebooted on me, mid-drive at 70mph. Just black screen, no noise, and then it all fires back up, reconnects to bluetooth and all. Very reassuring.

My entune/radio/whatever is running have rebooted on me, mid-drive at 70mph. Just black screen, no noise, and then it all fires back up, reconnects to bluetooth and all. Very reassuring.

All the time. Middle of a call, no music playing, music playing, asking Siri to change songs, starting the car. Every one of those causes a reboot about 2% of the time. Just a lovable quality of Entune.

I had the display cycle a few times on my 2015 for no discernible reason.

I think the LC infotainment is the best example of so many concessions that nobody wins.

- Toyota doesn't want one to engage with the display's map feature while driving so they lock it out when in motion. Solution is Voice commands.
- Voice recognition is not usable.
- Toyota doesn't want to share data. Solution develop Entune.
- Entune doesn't really provide what people want.

Toyota sales guy told me that no manufacturer allowed for navigation input while the vehicle was in operation due to taking focus from the road; that was a lie. My BMW was newer and I could input addresses in it while moving. Besides that argument fails as soon as I need to look at the screen to adjust the climate control.

I now think the following:
LC200 infotainment is total crap and it would be better with fewer features rather than more.
Just offer an aux, bluetooth and a place to mount a mobile device like a phone.
Get rid of voice recognition.
Add more buttons for climate features.
Drop the Entune app.
Overall decouple the infotainment from the mechanicals. I want my next LC to last forever and when the display goes out I still want to be able to use the heater and AC.

I understand your comment, and like you can do it all on my phone. But I would prefer the convenience of not having to take my phone out of my pocket and set it in an add-on mount.

Toyota doesn't manufacture any vehicle media systems and hasn't (at least for a long time). The 16+ LC headunit is made by Harman.

Harman's brands include the following: AKG, AMX, Becker, Crown, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, dbx, DigiTech, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft, Studer, Arcam, and BSS Audio. And then above Harman is Samsung - as Harman is a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung.

Pretty sure those companies, with the tiniest push from Toyota, could make a change to the LC multimedia system.

IMHO, this is entirely a Toyota problem.
Actually I believe Pioneer makes the 16+ LC head unit. Zoom in on the label.
D34E95F8-2FB2-4DDD-8394-D668C64EF09C.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom