Toyota e-locker in GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As was previously stated, the ONLY 4Runner that had a rear locker was the 09 Trail Edition. ONLY came in a V6. That doesn't matter though since the axles are the same. That being said I'm sure you could swap an FJ or Taco rear end as long as the ratio was the same. The thing that would really suck is that you'd need the complete rear axle, wiring harness, and possibly an ECU in order for it to work. I normally like the idea of keeping it all Toyota but I don't think it's worth the time or money. I was curious about those rear axles (we have an 08 4R) and so I did some looking. The only one I could find online for sale was $1750. And that was just the axle.

So, this is def one of those times where it's easier, and probably cheaper in the long run, to just put in an aftermarket locker like an ARB or A/M e-locker.

The third is a straight swap and, pretty sure ratios are the same.

Need the elocked third and harness.

That said, ARB would be the better option.

Pretty sure a the bolt pattern and cut our for the e-locker versus standard 8" are very different. You'll need a FJ Cruiser housing or 4Runner that came with one stock to swap it over to the GX.

LT, isnt there an IronMan magnetic locker that will fit the stock GX?

LT, isnt there an IronMan magnetic locker that will fit the stock GX?

Ironman doesn't make a locker as far as I know. They sell other brands.

ACC was testing an E-Locker from Ironman but I think it was a Harrop.

And the housing is VERY different from a GX/4R with and without a locker. I don't know that you could modify it to fit. I have seen that on some other trucks though. The easiest way if you were determined to swap in a factory locker would be to get the whole rear axle assembly. If you can find one of course.

I have a Toyota E-locker diff in my 4Runner. Yes, you have to either modify the housing (I went this route by using the Toyota gasket as a template) or replace the housing. The shafts are the same. Here is a super easy wiring diagram that I used, works perfectly. http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-diy-retrofit-elocker-wiring-235219/ The traction control is in no way comparable to the performance of the locker. Most wrecking yard units will be either 4.10:1, 4.29:1 or 4.56:1. I found a 4.10 assembly for the rear and swapped my front diff for one out of a 4-cylinder Taco that came stock with 4.10s. This works well with my 285/75 tires although I am considering going to 4.56 which is available for the front diff of these vehicles through Nitro gear. Gear sets for the 8" E-locker are available everywhere and are fairly cheap.

Last edited:
And I thought that the axle twist e-locker issue was specific to 9.5" e-lockers.

Pretty sure that's correct since the 8" R&P fails long the axles twist or snap.

There's an unproven machining method to allow extraction of the 9.5" elocked axles even if they twist or snap, the latter not requiring a torch to extract, since the unused splines on the shaft are removed.

Running a shaft as described, but haven't broken yet, to say wether it works in the real world as it does on paper.

As was previously stated, the ONLY 4Runner that had a rear locker was the 09 Trail Edition. ONLY came in a V6. That doesn't matter though since the axles are the same. That being said I'm sure you could swap an FJ or Taco rear end as long as the ratio was the same. The thing that would really suck is that you'd need the complete rear axle, wiring harness, and possibly an ECU in order for it to work. I normally like the idea of keeping it all Toyota but I don't think it's worth the time or money. I was curious about those rear axles (we have an 08 4R) and so I did some looking. The only one I could find online for sale was $1750. And that was just the axle.

So, this is def one of those times where it's easier, and probably cheaper in the long run, to just put in an aftermarket locker like an ARB or A/M e-locker.

Many 3rd gen (95-02) 4runners came with e-lockers, same 8" diff, just different gear ratio.

And the housing is VERY different from a GX/4R with and without a locker. I don't know that you could modify it to fit. I have seen that on some other trucks though. The easiest way if you were determined to swap in a factory locker would be to get the whole rear axle assembly. If you can find one of course.

Modifications to the housing are relatively minimal
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22213

Modifications to the housing are relatively minimal

Wasn't go to argue it, because I don't know if the platforms all share the same unlocked housing, but moved a elocked third and balance of it's axle components to an unlocked housing on a local's and don't recall spending more than thirty minutes on the new housing.

Couple of years ago, so don't recall the specifics, but it wasn't a big deal, in my opinion.

I meant the only 4th gen that had a locker. Lots of the 3rd gens had them.

And I wouldn't shy away myself from modifying a housing. For a professional (or semi-professional) it's not hard. An average weekend wrencher is probably not going to be able to do it so easy.

As a side note, I drove the Flat Pass and Steel Bender trails in Moab last weekend. I highly doubt I would have made it without the locker. At the very least there would have been damage from the slipping around that occurs while waiting for the traction control to do its job.

I put an ARB in my GX. Also put 2 in my 3rd Gen. I'm happy with the results.
https://plus.google.com/photos/112245478940579893987/albums/5958880503646346945
9uxBLRA6Tb-l_ImrOAa0SNvn5bOqw7umQkgcGQGg0Rop=w271-h153-p-no

I have many friends who have put elockers in open 8" difs and done custom wiring. Works good as well. A bit of cutting welding tapping and grinding.

True, but
I'm under the impression that the internals for the toyota 8" thirds are pretty much the same through the years, that they've always sat behind the v6 engines. I'll keep investigating this, though.

Not true. The 2009 4runner Trail edition was the only year that had e lockers in the rear.

I know this is an old post but I'm sorting out getting a rear assembly with elocker from 07 fj cruiser to put on my 07 gx470. Its 8inch as well and is direct bolt on from what I've read.

I just wish 2010 and above rear assembly was cheaper as 8.2 is so much stronger....

Not true. The 2009 4runner Trail edition was the only year that had e lockers in the rear.

I know this is an old post but I'm sorting out getting a rear assembly with elocker from 07 fj cruiser to put on my 07 gx470. Its 8inch as well and is direct bolt on from what I've read.

I just wish 2010 and above rear assembly was cheaper as 8.2 is so much stronger....

The rear axle will be a direct bolt on UNLESS you've got KDSS (like me). I had to notch my housing, and drill and tap two holes for the longer E-locker studs.

Or you can just install an 8" Harrop elocker in your oem housing and carrier

Aren't those stupid expensive? They seem cool though!

The rear axle will be a direct bolt on UNLESS you've got KDSS (like me). I had to notch my housing, and drill and tap two holes for the longer E-locker studs.

I have non kdss. Did you do your own wiring or bought one from low range off road. It's $179 but no technical wiring as it's plug and play from what I heard. I'm no expert.

Trying to get the right price on rear assembly is next challenge...

I built my own harness using the factory pig tails, factory ECU, and connecting it all with my own wiring.

I've heard of many of those Front Range harnesses not working even after waiting the month or whatever to get them.

I did the same, factory wiring and switch. Looks sooooo good and operates as it's supposed to. Flashing light and all.

The low range kit is a lot, and its ugly. You do drive a Lexus after all. ;)

Photo May 03, 7 07 38 AM.jpg

I built my own harness using the factory pig tails, factory ECU, and connecting it all with my own wiring.

I've heard of many of those Front Range harnesses not working even after waiting the month or whatever to get them.

On factory ecu was it the lexus, 3rd gen 4runner, or fj cruiser? Please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom