1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Dealership preventative mnt timing belt replacement results

Discussion in 'Tacoma (Gen 1) - 4Runner (Gen 3)' started by Bob Otte, Jun 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

1. Bob Otte

Bob Otte

Had the timing belt/water pump/etc changed on 12/04/2016 at the dealership as a preventative step to ensure long life of my '04 Tacoma. Last week while driving the truck gave up the ghost and died on me. The bolt holding the harmonic balancer on was nowhere to be found and the harmonic balancer had fallen off after smoking the crank and key. Dealer wants to simply put a new crank and bearings in it as a fix :/. Consensus is that dealer tech did not torque down the harmonic balancer bolt properly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vipergrhd likes this.
  2. ClevSix

ClevSix

Call Toyota and open a case.

vipergrhd, Haggis and splitshot like this.
  3. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

A good friend of mine had the exact same thing happen on the 3.4L in his T100 several years ago. He did the belt himself, didn't bother getting a torque wrench that would go that high, he just rattled it on with his impact gun. The balancer fell off a few days later, he limped the truck to my house with no belts on the engine (ya, it still ran fine, but amazingly quiet). We pulled everything apart, nothing was damaged, but he did end up buying a new balancer and bolt (it looked remarkably similar to yours), we put it all back together, it was fine. Lesson learned.

Replacing the crank seems overkill but if they're willing to do it...

4. ClevSix

ClevSix

If the keyway is damaged, which is likely, then they should replace the crank.

vipergrhd likes this.
  5. vipergrhd

vipergrhd

Media:
    Albums:
    That sucks but at least they are fixing their own fawk up and hopefully not the same guy who did your timing belt.
    The torque specs. for the crank was actually change to 210 ft lbs (I think) from the original 184 ft lbs. and even with the pulley torque to
    184 ft. lbs it will come off reason why they increased the specs. When I replaced my engine 3 years ago I did set the torque at 210 ft lbs.
    Make sure they give you a parts list on your invoice so you would know what parts were replaced.

6. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

In our case, the crank was not damaged, but the "key" part was kinda chewed up, very much like the bottom picture above. The key is available separately, and easily replaced if you pull the bottom timing pulley off.

7. r083rt

r083rt

Media:
    Albums:
    Insist that the dealer tech that worked on it not be the one to work on it again.

8. White Stripe

White Stripe

I wonder of they could get a 3vzfe crank for it. It's a direct drop in, the difference is its a forged crank.