Toyota Dealership preventative mnt timing belt replacement results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had the timing belt/water pump/etc changed on 12/04/2016 at the dealership as a preventative step to ensure long life of my '04 Tacoma. Last week while driving the truck gave up the ghost and died on me. The bolt holding the harmonic balancer on was nowhere to be found and the harmonic balancer had fallen off after smoking the crank and key. Dealer wants to simply put a new crank and bearings in it as a fix :/. Consensus is that dealer tech did not torque down the harmonic balancer bolt properly

6znrtXL.jpg

dXrCjfs.jpg

LLv3A8l.jpg

Had the timing belt/water pump/etc changed on 12/04/2016 at the dealership as a preventative step to ensure long life of my '04 Tacoma. Last week while driving the truck gave up the ghost and died on me. The bolt holding the harmonic balancer on was nowhere to be found and the harmonic balancer had fallen off after smoking the crank and key. Dealer wants to simply put a new crank and bearings in it as a fix :/. Consensus is that dealer tech did not torque down the harmonic balancer bolt properly

6znrtXL.jpg

dXrCjfs.jpg

LLv3A8l.jpg
Call Toyota and open a case.

A good friend of mine had the exact same thing happen on the 3.4L in his T100 several years ago. He did the belt himself, didn't bother getting a torque wrench that would go that high, he just rattled it on with his impact gun. The balancer fell off a few days later, he limped the truck to my house with no belts on the engine (ya, it still ran fine, but amazingly quiet). We pulled everything apart, nothing was damaged, but he did end up buying a new balancer and bolt (it looked remarkably similar to yours), we put it all back together, it was fine. Lesson learned.

Replacing the crank seems overkill but if they're willing to do it...

A good friend of mine had the exact same thing happen on the 3.4L in his T100 several years ago. He did the belt himself, didn't bother getting a torque wrench that would go that high, he just rattled it on with his impact gun. The balancer fell off a few days later, he limped the truck to my house with no belts on the engine (ya, it still ran fine, but amazingly quiet). We pulled everything apart, nothing was damaged, but he did end up buying a new balancer and bolt (it looked remarkably similar to yours), we put it all back together, it was fine. Lesson learned.

Replacing the crank seems overkill but if they're willing to do it...
If the keyway is damaged, which is likely, then they should replace the crank.

That sucks but at least they are fixing their own fawk up and hopefully not the same guy who did your timing belt.
The torque specs. for the crank was actually change to 210 ft lbs (I think) from the original 184 ft lbs. and even with the pulley torque to
184 ft. lbs it will come off reason why they increased the specs. When I replaced my engine 3 years ago I did set the torque at 210 ft lbs.
Make sure they give you a parts list on your invoice so you would know what parts were replaced.

If the keyway is damaged, which is likely, then they should replace the crank.

In our case, the crank was not damaged, but the "key" part was kinda chewed up, very much like the bottom picture above. The key is available separately, and easily replaced if you pull the bottom timing pulley off.

Dealerships and private shops screw up more than you think. This is why I choose to do my own work. Here's a couple videos you guys can use to do the job yourself to make sure it's done right and save a bunch of money in the process.

^^what he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom