Toyo MT | Durability of tire design over time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
Let’s just chat …

While some companies have redesigned their tires 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years, there is the Toyo MT which has not changed at all. Is this a sign of excellent engineering and design work?

Is Toyo think they should not change a winning formula?

On another hand, I'm not recalling seeing a lot of bad opinion about the Toyo MT. I owned 2 sets and I do not have found real down side.

The intention of this post is to candidly know opinions on the longevity of the design. No need to convince me of anything. Really, just opening up a discussion about Toyo MT pattern longevity over time (longevity, not wear).

I don’t know about the M/T, but their M55 tire has been the same tuff design for years - don’t know how long. I’ve owned 2 sets on 2 different rigs with good longevity results. Currently running their Open CountryA/T II on my ‘94 Land Cruiser and they’re doing fine. I live in a small rural town with limited choices and the Les Schwab stopped selling Toyo A/T and MT otherwise I’d be running Toyo M/T’s instead of the Maxxis Razr’s for my M/T set of tires. IMHO, it makes sense to stay with a winning design.

Second set of the Toyo M/Ts. I love them, don't know what they could change to make them better.
My Les Schwab still carries them

20211207_103904.jpg

I am just now replacing a set of Toyo MT's in 285/75R17 I put on my cruiser 7 years and 80,000 km ago.

They're loud (especially with age), heavy, and less than stellar in the winter but they're also bulletproof and have worn extremely well. Replacing with Toyo AT3's just because the use of my truck is a lot more on road a lot less off road these days.

Mine pulled to the right in two different trucks.

Yokohama g003 all the way. @reddog90 has them in his 60 in 255 and they drive nicely.

i find the yoko g003 to be an improved "toyo mt" design, a bit narrower generally , a bit lighter generally
very similar tread pattern

Mine pulled to the right in two different trucks.

Yokohama g003 all the way. @reddog90 has them in his 60 in 255 and they drive nicely.
i find the yoko g003 to be an improved "toyo mt" design, a bit narrower generally , a bit lighter generally
very similar tread pattern
My dad loves his G003s, he's on his third set. I can get Toyo M/Ts wholesale price with a good warranty.

Best tires I've ever used. I've got them on two trucks. I've got almost 50,000 km on this set, they've been to the Yukon/NWT
6 times. Directional issues aren't tire rated generally. They maintain pressure faultlessly over time. I run them down to 20 psi
regularly and they hold that for days. To be honest, if I was forced to leave the spare behind it wouldn't even be a worry.
They aren't the best snow tire, but that's not what they are designed for but I run them down to 26 psi and so long as
I don't run above 60 mph they are fine. Fantastic tires,

I really like my km3. Next tire will be a Toyo M-55

Thread bump.

How do people still feel about the Toyo M/T? I know @HemiAlex had some bad luck with a set of them.
I love these tires, put them on everything. Can't remember how many sets I've had.

ztNfE3o.jpg

No flats across multiple sets, even offroad through Utah in some areas that are known for sharp rocks that cut up BFGs and Goodyears. Pulled several nails out and never had a leak. Aired down to 8 psi regularly on beadlocks. Great grip through mud, sand, dirt, rock.

yCEVxXD.jpg

I wish I had pics but there was a gnarly night last year - a blizzard rolled in and the mountain I live on (around 6K ft) is notorious for being inaccessible during storms. We even had a couple days with 2 feet of snow in the roads because the plows couldn't make it. Anyway a blizzard was rolling in and I wanted to get home so I headed up the mountain in my HDJ81 with 315/75r16 Toyo MTs. There was a bunch of slick fresh snow on the road and I passed an Excursion in a ditch, a Wrangler doing 360s trying to get traction, and several sedans and crossovers that had become stuck, slid off, or were attempting to turn around. I would have loved to stop and help but I wasn't set up for it and had to get home ASAP with my 3 year old. Long story short, my cruiser just walked right up. Didn't slip once.

Toyo MTs had always surprised me in snow before but this was pretty impressive. I didn't even bother to run my dedicated snow tires on my Tacoma because the Toyos did just fine.

3DN7R2z.jpg

Main cons are that they're very heavy but that's just a load range E thing. They seem to wear ok. I have Toyo RTs on my 200 and those are starting to get low on tread at 30K. I'm guessing those will last to 40K but I'm someone who likes to swap out early rather than deal with super low tread. The MTs seem to have similar life spans.

Also I like that the Toyo MTs come in 255/85r16, one of my favorite sizes for Tacos, 70 series, etc.

Those Yokohamas look great though. I wouldn't mind trying out a set.

That is impressive snow review. To be honest I don't drive my 60 in snow much, cause Road Salt!
That being said I'm 2 days away from a winter trip through BC so they are going to get tested. If I
find myself in something trying I'll try to get pics and post here.

Toyo MT is a great tire. It's single snag is so painfully simple to fix that it's near embarrassing that Toyo hasn't done so... break up the outside tread block size pattern a bit to kill the damn noise. All the main players in this space are heading this way...and it's effective.

Customer just swapped out his Toyo Mt off his 2020 f250 diesel. They had 67,000miles on them and still have 6-7/32 on them. In a 35-12.50r20. 99% highway miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom