Towing with your LX470 or LC with AHC (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Pro series has chains and offers no sway control by itself. You must use a seperate sway device. both the chain brackets and sway control require drilling into your trailer tongue bars.

With the fastway which is a copy of the Equalizer the sway control is built in. And no drilling required!

So actually the advantage goes to the fastway!

With my 2000 LX470, I tow a 4000 lb boat. The hitch load is typically 10 to 15 percent of the tow weight. I put in air bags. The advantage of air bags is the hitch load gets directly transmitted to the rear axle, therefore the AHC pressures are maintained at proper psi. WDH are good, but the hitch weight is distributed to the front axle, so depending upon how much weight you have in your rig you may need to be careful of AHC pressures.

Having air bags does make getting the trailer on & off the hitch a little tedious. Keep in mind that AHC will not re-level with a door open. Here is what I do to put on my boat:
1. Leave door open as I lower boat onto hitch.
2. Increase bag pressure to 25 psi.
3. Fully retract trailer tongue wheel.
4. Hop in, close door, and drive away

To get the trailer off the vehicle here is what I do:
1. Maneuver boat into final location.
2. Get out of vehicle and leave door open
3. Lower tongue wheel until it touches the ground
4. Depressurize air bags to 7 psi
5. Fully raise boat tongue wheel to allow boat to free from hitch.

If you leave the door closed, the AHC can "turn on" as you raise the boat tongue. Thus the AHC can cause the vehicle tail to rise up and follow the boat tongue. This can make getting off the hitch rather challenging...

Cheers,
Greg

The Pro series has chains and offers no sway control by itself. You must use a seperate sway device. both the chain brackets and sway control require drilling into your trailer tongue bars.

With the fastway which is a copy of the Equalizer the sway control is built in. And no drilling required!

So actually the advantage goes to the fastway!

I am happy you decided to use some type of WDH, I don't really care which one, I just provided a link so you would understand...you don't have to spend a fortune to 'correctly' tow your trailer.

The E2 you chose is a good set up, you'll be happy with it. With every hitch type there are advantages and disadvantages.

The E2 does 'copy' the design attributes of the Equal-izer hitch but has a two point sway control system compared to the 4 point system of the Equal-izer.

The Eaz-lift does use 'chains', but chains can be a good thing (you'll find out). With respect to making adjustments...it is MUCH easier to simply hook onto a different link...than it is to unbolt your 'L' brackets to adjust the weighted level.

The sway control device on the Eaz-lift is not 'integrated', true. But the installation is quite simple. If you have no objection to drilling a few pilot holes for the self tapping rolock screws, then you can have a friction adjustable sway device. The amount of friction is controlled by a clamping device you screw in or out by hand. You can add a second unit on the other side, but rarely is that needed.

The E2 does not have any way to adjust the friction. It either combats 'sway' at the point where it almost isn't needed anyway, or tries to control it once it has already started.

The 'saddles' of the Eaz-Lift clamp on the trailer tongue, so no drilling there. Make sure you don't lose the cam over tool provided with the E2. Although you'll want to use your tongue jack to raise the truck and trailer (to relieve pressure) to seat the spring arms, in certain settings...that isn't always possible.

If you don't have your cam over tool, you probably aren't going to get the arms in place (without dropping the L bracket). With the Eaz-Lift if you lose the break over tool (essentially a small pipe) you can use any type lever that will fit over the stud on the saddle.

Folks say you can't 'back up' using the sway control on the Eaz-lift. Nonsense. Yeah...you actually have to get out of your vehicle and unwind the tension of the sway control a couple of rounds, or just take it off if you need to make a sharp backing turn (pull two pins).

As you gain more experience RVing....you will see both types on vehicles. One not necessarily 'better' than the other, but one might be 'best' for YOUR application.

Take the time to set up the hitch correctly. Then 'try' to load your trailer with roughly the same weight distribution each time and you'll never have to adjust the hitch. If you plan to tow very often then the ultimate set up (for quick adjusting) is a combination of a WDH....AND air bags.

But for your set up....you'll do fine with what you have chosen. Have fun, be careful.

Flint.

Last edited:
With my 2000 LX470, I tow a 4000 lb boat. The hitch load is typically 10 to 15 percent of the tow weight. I put in air bags. The advantage of air bags is the hitch load gets directly transmitted to the rear axle, therefore the AHC pressures are maintained at proper psi. WDH are good, but the hitch weight is distributed to the front axle, so depending upon how much weight you have in your rig you may need to be careful of AHC pressures.

Having air bags does make getting the trailer on & off the hitch a little tedious. Keep in mind that AHC will not re-level with a door open. Here is what I do to put on my boat:
1. Leave door open as I lower boat onto hitch.
2. Increase bag pressure to 25 psi.
3. Fully retract trailer tongue wheel.
4. Hop in, close door, and drive away

To get the trailer off the vehicle here is what I do:
1. Maneuver boat into final location.
2. Get out of vehicle and leave door open
3. Lower tongue wheel until it touches the ground
4. Depressurize air bags to 7 psi
5. Fully raise boat tongue wheel to allow boat to free from hitch.

If you leave the door closed, the AHC can "turn on" as you raise the boat tongue. Thus the AHC can cause the vehicle tail to rise up and follow the boat tongue. This can make getting off the hitch rather challenging...

Cheers,
Greg
Or you could use the AHC ON/OFF switch instead of leaving a door open. Very easy for someone to shut the door for you, thinking they are helping, not realizing you're using an open door as a safety interlock.

Or you could use the AHC ON/OFF switch instead of leaving a door open. Very easy for someone to shut the door for you, thinking they are helping, not realizing you're using an open door as a safety interlock.

^^^^^^^^^^ Excellent point.

By using the 'off' switch he would essentially 'lock' the system in what ever height mode it was in (certain conditions apply).

PADDO, I've been reading some of your posts concerning the AHC system and I must say...you are well versed.

I have learned a lot about the system and how/where to look for problems (troubleshooting) from what you have shared here. Thanks you for your efforts Sir, the contribution has been invaluable to many of us.

Flint.

Later year AHC systems have an "off" button on the height selector panel

True, but I think I've read that earlier year AHC implementations did not have an "OFF" button.

Later year AHC systems have an "off" button on the height selector panel

True, but I think I've read that earlier year AHC implementations did not have an "OFF" button.
Check your sources please. AHC OFF push button is standard regardless of model year.

Last edited:
If you don't have your cam over tool, you probably aren't going to get the arms in place (without dropping the L bracket).

This is not true. All you need to do is connect trailer to ball and then using the tongue jack, lift the trailer tongue (attached to tow vehicle) till the friction bars slide on. Once they are in position you just lower the tongue back down. I've never used the cam tool with my E2. It's super simple. I believe there's a you tube video about it also.

This is not true. All you need to do is connect trailer to ball and then using the tongue jack, lift the trailer tongue (attached to tow vehicle) till the friction bars slide on. Once they are in position you just lower the tongue back down. I've never used the cam tool with my E2. It's super simple. I believe there's a you tube video about it also.

Yes, I am well aware of how it works. The same method is used for ALL systems, just saying you won't always have a nice level spot from which to hook up or unhook or even a jack that works or will lift high enough (in all situations) to do you any good.

That is the reason they include the cam tool to begin with.

Just pointing out some 'potential' problems for the OP....so he doesn't find out the hard way. Not challenging your (or others) experiences (so far).

Thank you for your input though. If my post sounded as if the issue was 'inevitable', let me be clear, it is not. But it can and does happen.

Flint.

Yes, I am well aware of how it works. The same method is used for ALL systems, just saying you won't always have a nice level spot from which to hook up or unhook or even a jack that works or will lift high enough (in all situations) to do you any good.

That is the reason they include the cam tool to begin with.

Just pointing out some 'potential' problems for the OP....so he doesn't find out the hard way. Not challenging your (or others) experiences (so far).

Thank you for your input though. If my post sounded as if the issue was 'inevitable', let me be clear, it is not. But it can and does happen.

Flint.
Great post and great response.

Check your sources please. AHC OFF push button is standard regardless of model year.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

"OFF" is definitely the way I keep AHC from adjusting when hitching up the trailer. Though leaving the door open might be a good visual confirmation to make sure AHC won't do anything funny when hitching up.

Well I had the day off today and got the LX470 running. I had to put in an alternator. So I decided to hook up to the Travel trailer. It squated down pretty good. I turned on the AHC and it went right back up to normal. I took it out for a drive. It pulls it just fine. I know it's back there but it was really smooth and I went over all sorts of roads here in West Virginia. Never went into limp mode and stayed in Normal the whole time. Got on the interstate and set the cruise to 60 with OD off. Works great! My weight distribution system will be here by Wednesday but for those wondering the weights I listed in my original post are fine with the AHC.

Well I had the day off today and got the LX470 running. I had to put in an alternator. So I decided to hook up to the Travel trailer. It squated down pretty good. I turned on the AHC and it went right back up to normal. I took it out for a drive. It pulls it just fine. I know it's back there but it was really smooth and I went over all sorts of roads here in West Virginia. Never went into limp mode and stayed in Normal the whole time. Got on the interstate and set the cruise to 60 with OD off. Works great! My weight distribution system will be here by Wednesday but for those wondering the weights I listed in my original post are fine with the AHC.

Did you check your pressure reading of the AHC hooked up?

Pretty sure your vehicle has a Maximum tongue weight rating (weight supporting hitch) of 650 lbs. Using the W/D hitch that increases to 975 lbs. (wiggle room for the dynamics of towing).

Going with a W/D hitch will prove a smart move.

Here she is hooked to the camper. I was amazed how well it rode with just the AHC. Looks pretty level to me and never jumped into L or anything.
LX_Camper.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom