TB Re-index questions on 04 LX470 with AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just recently installed a Ironman front bumper with a Bandland APEX 12K winch, and then finishing up the refreshment of the front suspension, including new UCA, new bushing for LCA/AHC shock and so on. Having gone through some of those existing AHC/TB posts, I realize I may have to deal with the TB for the added weight, before bolting the TB back. However, don't have much experience on this topic, so asking for the community's expertise.

Basic info:​

• 2004 LX470 with working AHC with all 4 globes replaced 2 years ago.
  • Added ~280 lbin the front:
    • Added 82 lb: Badland APEX 12K winch
    • Added 108 lb: Ironman Front Bumpter
    • Shared 60 lb: of 180 lb Tuff Stuff Alpha RTT
    • Misc 30 lb

Q1: Could the OE TB be enough for the added weight?​

This is actually 2 questions here:
  1. Can I keep the OE TB?
  2. If having to, what TB should go to? LC100? LC80? or aftermarket?
  3. Do I have to re-index?
I know there are stiffer TB available but would like to stay with the OE TB, if it's strong enough for the added weight.
Before the added weight, the TB adjustment bolt has gone through about 2/3 threads, as shown in the picture below. Do you think it has enough thread to adjust for the added weight without re-indexing?
20240119_075951 - Copy.jpg

Q2: How to enable the OE TB for re-indexing?​

I searched the forum but couldn't find similar situation. So don't know if it's just mine. However, it looks like the OE TB is not re-index-able, as there is only 1 position for the TB to fit into the sleeve, as in the pictures. One slot on the TB spine was filled. Therefore, that filled slot has to be bit into the widen slot on the sleeve. To be able to re-index, the filled material has to be removed. How could it be removed?

20231208_142659 - Copy.jpg

20231208_142615 - Copy.jpg

Q3: How many degrees (teeth) to turn for re-index?​

The following post has detail instructions on re-indexing with nice pictures. However, it's for non-AHC and didn't specify how many teeth to turn when re-indexing at step 6.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Last edited:
At step 5 you are maximizing the rendexing point, no need to count teeth.

STEP 5
5. What you now want to do is get a big cable tie and tie it nice and tight where you see the white line on the below picture, in doing so you are pushing the back housing for the torsion bar right up against the frame (white arrow). As a result the other end of the bracket will be pushed down all the way against the adjuster bolt (blue arrow). This is why you didn't take the adjuster bolt all the way out.

At step 5 you are maximizing the rendexing point, no need to count teeth.
Hmmm, I have already removed the adjustment bolts from the car. Should I just simply put it back and then follow step 5? Or the bolt has to be aligned in some way for proper installation?

The adjustment bolts do not need to be fully removed to re-index, just loosened.
Maybe a dumb question.
Are the pictures of your torsion bar the front of the bar and torque arm or the rear and the anchor arm? I do not have AHC and did not encounter that flat spot or buggered T-Bar spines like you have on the front housing.
20190124_094610a-jpg.1887551

Also, if you read through the entire other thread, you will see that 1 to 2 spline is likely all you may need. If you "max out" your adjusters will hang well below your frame. I was out of adjustment and only moved mine 1 spline and, after adjustment, I had about 3/4 of an inch remaining to play with.

Last edited:
THe adjustment bolts do not need to be fully removed to re-index, just loosened.
Maybe a dumb question.
Are the pictures of your torsion bar the front of the bar or the rear?
Yes. It's the front end fitting into the sleeve. Edited to be more specified: It's the front end fitting into the Torque Arm

For the bolt, it has been fully removed already. That's why trying to see if any special instructions to install it back.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I have already removed the adjustment bolts from the car. Should I just simply put it back and then follow step 5? Or the bolt has to be aligned in some way for proper installation?
The anchor arm adjusting seat must be properly aligned with the anchor arm. I unscrewed the bolt without taking it out and moved my bar one spline on the torque arm. Just put it back in loose and follow the instructions.

I found it helpful to have another person hold the adjusting seat up (with the loose bolt) inside the housing while I bolted the front torque arm (with the re-indexed bar snuggly inside) back to the lower arm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom