Towing with an 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just want to provide my towing impressions related to a recent drive from Los Angeles to New Mexico – approximately 950 miles - for anyone considering using their 80 Series for towing.

I own a 1997 80 Series with 155k miles on the clock. Some background on the truck. The truck is in good condition and well maintained with a complete head refurb was competed at approximately 145k miles by a local shop with a long and very reputable history of Land Cruiser repair/maintenance. I drove the truck to LA to pick-up a newly purchased vehicle and rented a tandem axle U-Haul car hauler trailer (trailer weight approximately 2,210 lbs with maximum load capacity of 5,290 lbs) in LA for a one-way trip back to New Mexico. These U-Haul car hauling trailers have an automatic hydraulic surge brake incorporated into the tongue which I thought was pretty nifty. In past years I used our 2002 Sequoia with a TopHat tandem axle dove tail trailer which towed like a dream, but sold the trailer after the Sequoia was rear-ended and total. The Sequoia probably saved my daughter’s life.

The vehicle loaded on the trailer weighed approximately 3,800lbs and I had an additional 500lbs or so of spare parts and equipment in the back of the 80. For years I have used a Weigh-Safe hitch with a tongue weight gauge. Having an accurate read for the hitch weight is very helpful and provides great piece of mind…..at least for me.

For this trip I had the tongue weight set at 250lbs; felt well controlled throughout the trip.

I researched towing capacity and towing experiences for late model 80 Series, but didn’t feel I found any definitive information, so I was a bit concerned how the truck would perform. I have to say my 80 offered up a solid performance. It will not come as a surprise to anyone that the 80 did not provide V8 gas or diesel level of performance. Hills and inclines saw speeds fall to 38mph in some instances, but averaging 50 to 55mph felt comfortable in the truck and for the entire trip – and I mean like every mile – the water temperature gauge was pegged much pretty at exact mid point, and that included driving through Needles, CA in the late afternoon with 103 degrees registering outside. I do have airbags and inflated them to 35psi. The roads I drove were mostly in only average condition with many miles of wavy, and roughed-up asphalt, but 55 mph was a decent steady speed with a few under asphalt construction transitions and surface tear-down sections that were a bit hairy for moments, but other than that I rolled back home pleasantly surprised at how well the trip went.

Yep, 80 is a good "slow and steady" tow rig for loads under 5k pounds. Emphasis on "slow", especially in the mountains. I do not run airbags and I have soft springs, so it sags a lot under the tongue weight, but still feels solid and secure.

FYI, the stock water temp gauge on your 80 is basically an idiot light disguised as a gauge. If you see it move, you're already over-heating. If you plan to tow more with the 80 (or even if you don't), invest in a real water temp gauge or a scangauge or the like.

Some of us have kept and modified the OEM temp gauge per this thread:

But, if you're not comfortable with taking your dash and instrument panel apart and handling a soldering iron around sensitive and fragile parts, a scangage would be the better way to go, especially since your '97 is OBD II.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom