Towing With a Tow Dolly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read the threads on how flat towing is a no-go, but I remember a thread of about 7 years back where it was explained that you could tow with a tow dolly under certain conditions. Maybe it was removing the back drive train and having transfer case in neutral??? I can't remember nor find the thread but it was something like that. I MUST tow my 80 a thousand miles from San Diego to remote East Oregon and can not find anyone to rent me an auto transport trailer (they all say with truck rental only) but I can buy a tow dolly. Need leave in a couple of days so fire back asap please.

if you were to pull the rear drive shaft, you can't hurt the transfercase or transmission because its completely uncoupled.

I read the threads on how flat towing is a no-go, but I remember a thread of about 7 years back where it was explained that you could tow with a tow dolly under certain conditions. Maybe it was removing the back drive train and having transfer case in neutral??? I can't remember nor find the thread but it was something like that. I MUST tow my 80 a thousand miles from San Diego to remote East Oregon and can not find anyone to rent me an auto transport trailer (they all say with truck rental only) but I can buy a tow dolly. Need leave in a couple of days so fire back asap please.

Also, a U-Haul near you?

Zap: You didn't read the post. U-Haul now aggressively resists any attempt to rent an Auto Transport if you don't rent their truck. Thinking to buy a dolly.

Zap: You didn't read the post. U-Haul now aggressively resists any attempt to rent an Auto Transport if you don't rent their truck. Thinking to buy a dolly.

I did read it, and it didn't say U-Haul anywhere in it. Locally, our U-Haul will rent just the trailer if your vehicle meets the requirements. Penske and Budget will not but U-Haul will.

I did read it, and it didn't say U-Haul anywhere in it. Locally, our U-Haul will rent just the trailer if your vehicle meets the requirements. Penske and Budget will not but U-Haul will.
The problem is in order to tow an 80, you'll be required to pick up the trailer using a 3/4 ton pickup or heavier or they will require you to rent one of their trucks.

Buy a Dolly, remove the rear DS completely, Lock your center differential, and you can still drive it on and off the dolly and around if needed. You can place it in park on the dolly.

Same here:
NOmH3ZUl.jpg

I read the threads on how flat towing is a no-go,
Why is flat towing a no-go? Folks have been doing this for 20 years. It's recommended in the FSM.

Towing.JPG

Last edited:
Why is flat towing a no-go? Folks have been doing this for 20 years. It's recommended in the FSM.
See the thread where Cruiser Dan and others say it can't be done without damage.

See the thread where Cruiser Dan and others say it can't be done without damage.
Folks have been flat towing 80s across the country for years now. There are multiple threads about this.

The problem is in order to tow an 80, you'll be required to pick up the trailer using a 3/4 ton pickup or heavier or they will require you to rent one of their trucks.

Buy a Dolly, remove the rear DS completely, Lock your center differential, and you can still drive it on and off the dolly and around if needed. You can place it in park on the dolly.

His signature said he has an F350, so he should be good to go.

The F350 is NOT where I am. Went to U-Haul and the local office said everything fine but UH corporate to him not to rent and they would not say why except I could if I rented their truck for $4987

The 80 is too big for their trailer most times. I rented a UHaul auto transport, pulled it behind my Tundra, and told them I was picking up a 1984 Chevy Cavalier coupe. Corporate is covering their arse, local is cow tailing to corporate. Not telling you to lie or even bend the truth.

I also pulled a 1984 60 series behind a heavy duty 1500 chevy truck with the auto transport. Uhaul was informed of the 1500 series spitfire I was towing.

I was slow and purposefully anticipating every bone headed move of other drivers.

Comet took your advice and it worked but nothing available till July 5

covering my arse too. Don’t tow anything larger than the rated towing capacity of the equipment you are using. Wink.

I had to find smaller tires and other accommodations.

If the cruiser runs/drives it would probably be cheaper at this point to drive it and fly home. I've heard U haul prices are through the roof this summer.

I have thought on that but I'n here in SoCal with one other vehicle and no driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom