Towing with a 200 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to look at a 200 Series later today as a possible new to me DD. I've never drove or even sat in one before. I need more towing prowess than my current DD ('14 Tacoma) can provide.
The LC in question is a low mile (35k) 2010. How well do these tow 5-7k lbs?

Night and day difference between my 2011 Tacoma DCLB and 2008 200 Series with my ~3000lb camper. My only Mod with regards to towing is a brake controller and airbags in the rear, and it tows great. Just don't expect to get much better mileage towing, they both suck in that regard. I get 8-10mpg towing the camper.

Night and day difference between my 2011 Tacoma DCLB and 2008 200 Series with my ~3000lb camper. My only Mod with regards to towing is a brake controller and airbags in the rear, and it tows great. Just don't expect to get much better mileage towing, they both suck in that regard. I get 8-10mpg towing the camper.

I second this, coming from a built 2013 DBLCB Taco to an 08 200 Series the 200 handles the towing duties with ease in comparison. I mostly towed a 3500lb car hauler with a 40 loaded on it but so far its handled all my towing needs with no problems. Thats a great find on a 2010 with only 35K that would sell pretty fast once its listed.

Thats a great find on a 2010 with only 35K that would sell pretty fast once its listed.

Believe it or it is already listed and been for sale for a month at a dealership AND their price is way below retail book. For some reason it does not have a third seat so I don't know if that scares people off but I could care less for my intended uses. Maybe it has obvious issues to be seen in person, I'll find out in a few hours.

Same here good luck I hope it works out for you hard to believe a low mile 2010 sat for that long. Most of us pull the 3rd row seats after a short time so I don't see that as a deal breaker. Maybe it was located in the salt belt or in an accident what did the carfax reveal? Thats generally the hot price point most are hunting I would assume the 25 - 30K range and it being a low mileage unit its generally a race to pick those up. At least that was the case when I was shopping. Keep us posted hope it all works in your favor :cheers:

Last edited:
I have an '08 with 153k miles and pull a 6k airstream with the 200 fully loaded with no trouble at all. Went out to Yellowstone and the Tetons (from Ohio) last summer from Ohio and had no trouble pulling up through the Big Horns (or back down for that matter). Just make sure to get an brake controller. I'm getting everything ready this summer for a trip out east to Acadia NP and have no worries at all now. The 200 is a solid puller.

Now, why it's been sitting long would be the primary concern. Thoroughly test it and look over it. Bring someone impartial with you if you can or take it to someone impartial. It's super easy to overlook things when you're excited. Big things to look for at that age would be a crack starting to form on the radiator and possibly the cam tower leak. If they have a carfax, you should be able to see the service records. If that all checks out, you'll be fine. Good luck!

So this little honey came home with me last night. Man do these 200 series drive great!
I did call ahead to make sure they had it cleaned up and inside so I could see it while it was dry and also crawl underneath it.
2010 with 35k miles. Started life for 6 years in Arizona then ended up in northern IN and the second owner traded it for a new Jeep Grand Somethingorother.

2010 LC Front wet.jpg
2010 LC Pass wet.jpg

X2 congrats glad it all checked out, happy trails :cheers:

Quick question. When I tow my travel trailer I'm in ECT and Tranny in 4th. Leaving today for Montana towing my drift boat and steel trailer total weight around 1000 lbs. + -. What's the best set up? Thanks

Not sure what you mean by best setup? Can you clarify or have pics?

Sounds like you're doing fine. With the relatively light load, no ETC and s5 can work too. It's whatever you feel works best for your style.

Hope the trip is going well.

They do just fine :) I did add internal coil air bags and a weight distribution hitch after this photo. This was from the first time out with it just testing to see how it tows.

View attachment 2411989
Wow! I'm currently sorting out trying to find an installer for airbags on my 2018 LC. Which airbag and hitch did you use?

First actual trailer trip. Just finished 1500 mile.. with about 1000 towing. I used to tow the same trailer with a 100 series and then a 2016 Ford Expedition. The Ford 3.5 twin turbo is a great motor but lacking much engine braking. The cruiser V8 did great. A good RPM for towing is around 3000 and if pulling a decent hill 4000 RPM did fine. Lots of flexibility with the 8 speed. Always in ECT Pwr mode and mostly in manual S position limiting the high gear to 4th or 5th. Any long uphill or downhill I just manually shifted instead of letting the transmission try to figure it out. It didn’t stay in a lower gear long enough. This trip was generally uphill going and downhill coming back. MPG.. 8.5ish and a bit over 10 coming back. (To smokey hellish California) The trailer loaded is about 7,400 lbs.

Very pleased with how stable and easy it was. Actually better than the Expedition. I do have a new Equalizer brand WDH which may have contributed to that. The 2005 100 series would sometimes get a slight.. funny weight shift while slowing during a corner. The 200 was just solid. I used the cruise control quite a bit. Especially on long two lane roads.

Suspension is stock with stock tires. This was a concern but with the WDH the cruiser was level and never seemed to get close to bottoming out at all on unseen whoops in the road. ARB drawers loaded with my normal tools plus other stuff in the back, space case and kayak on top. And about 150lbs of poodles. Cruiser did great. Uneventful.. which is good!.

932B3643-93BD-48D9-9A35-A6F444971F40.jpeg

A21F7709-B8C4-4281-AFCC-178AD3B6C989.jpeg

EA3E1053-7217-497C-A3B9-44EACF743CE5.jpeg

14EF7722-94D0-4E42-9494-7D4A04E87FF3.jpeg

1B1DE593-2E6F-4D67-9CCF-4243BA2D1639.jpeg

Is it a 200 thing where we can’t pull all the way into a parking spot? I do the same thing all the time. Looks like a great trip, nice hunting dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom