Towing capacity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Right 92 80 series. Want to tow things with it. What is the maximum?

"FJ80s are 3500. FZJ80s are 5000."

Given the difference in engine output and braking capacity, it would make snese.

Towing capacity with the 3FE is dependent on several factors, tire size, gear ratio, speed that you want to go, and incline. I regularly pull a 2500 lb boat/trailer with 34s. At or below 60 to 65 on level ground, it does fine. Inclines or higher speed causes constant shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th.

Towing capacity for the 3fe 80 series is -500lbs. Haha, I can say this because I drove a 91 for 4 years.

Honestly though, North Carolina is pretty close to sea level and pretty flat compared to the Intermountain west out here so it will tow a small boat or trailer just fine out there as long as you are happy cruising 60.

If you were going to tow a lot with the rig it would be worth it to upgrade the rear brakes to disk and
swap the front brake components with parts from a 93+ model. Brakes will be the biggest safety factor.

Safe towing capacity is completely different from “what can this thing actually move forward”

Don’t confuse them. Yea your 3fe in low range may be able to inch a 2 mile long train forward at 0.2 mph but that doesn’t mean it has that rating.

US Tow rating is determined based on wheel base and vehicle weight primarily. But you, as a safe driver, need to consider brakes, maneuverability, etc.

I believe the us ratings are low but I know they are for a reason, liability.

Yes your rig can tow more, but it’s up to you to understand the risk in doing so. I know I have several times towed over weight. (Towing my 7,000lb 80 back on a 3k lb trailer with a 200 series with air bags). I knew my risk and drove extra carefully.

I can tell you that your insurance company doesn’t give two shyts about your skill level, what you think you are capable of or whatever else. In the event of a payable accident they will try to find any out to not pay. Driving an over loaded vehicle is low hanging fruit for them.

One thing to think about with the 80 series, especially the early ones is that the speed limit on the interstate was limited to 55 mph for most of the 1980s. The 60s were designed for a 55 mph speed limit even on the interstate. The 3FE was designed with this in mind. Towing at 55 mph is completely different than towing at 65 for my 91. At 55, it feels like nothing is even back there.

NC is 600 miles wide and goes from 0-6000’ elevation. OP lives around 750’. Depends on what you want to tow Danton. Local small Utility trailer Will be easy Peasy. Towing a double axle boat/camper up 26 or old fort; not so much. Again braking should be the bigger consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom