Rear cross-member tow hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bobsethi.com
Anyone fabricated a rear cross member tow-hitch? Ran across this pic of scooter_b's 80 - he built a class IV equivalent hitch into (in place of?) the rear cross-member. My 315" spare already hangs low enough and prevents me using the hitch that was on the 80. Thinking something like this would solve the problem for towing. Cheers.

Pic credit is scooter_b off his IG (worth checking out for quality 80 pics). Look close and you'll see his rear cross member built-in tow hitch:
scooter_b rear cross member hitch.png

My 80's spare 315 in factory underside location. Required removing tow hitch to mount:
richmondbob underside 315 no hitch.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone fabricated a rear cross member tow-hitch? Ran across this pic of scooter_b's 80 - he built a class IV equivalent hitch into (in place of?) the rear cross-member. My 315" spare already hangs low enough and prevents me using the hitch that was on the 80. Thinking something like this would solve the problem for towing. Cheers.
Going on 13 years with mine and no issues. Similar to SLEE's but much beefier. Towed a 3000lb trailer with a motorcycle stacked on the hitch @ about an additional 290lbs of hitch weight. Worked great. Some of the parts I used were a bit ghetto but what I have laying around.

I considered modifying the hitch that came with my 80. Requires changing the mounting to outboard the frame to clear the 315 spare. Basically, a custom tow bar.

@sleeoffroad has a hidden hitch for the 80 series, not sure if spare still fits with it though.

Yeah, I'd seen those but Slee marks their 2" receiver adapter as not rated for towing. Their 2″ Receiver for SLEE Rear Bumper requires removal of the OEM tire carrier winch plate and isn't rated for towing either.

Going on 13 years with mine and no issues. Similar to SLEE's but much beefier. Towed a 3000lb trailer with a motorcycle stacked on the hitch @ about an additional 290lbs of hitch weight. Worked great. Some of the parts I used were a bit ghetto but what I have laying around.

Definitely looks beefier but I'd need to keep the 315 spare under the 80.

The spare under there is going to be a big issue unless you cut out the OEM cross member and completely replace it with an integrated received hitch. Otherwise I wouldn't tow much without the angle brackets IMO.
There is always 4x4 labs but it may look kind of funny when it really exposes the spare under there. I tried the 35" spare on mine and always thought it looked like it was wearing a diaper. The labs will be 2X funny looking.

*edit, I haven't looked at these for a while but it may also require removal of the carrier.

Pic credit is scooter_b off his IG (worth checking out for quality 80 pics). Look close and you'll see his rear cross member built-in tow hitch:
View attachment 3384208

My 80's spare 315 in factory underside location. Required removing tow hitch to mount:
View attachment 3384210
there is a mod i'm reading up on to relocate the spare raising and lowering device / crossmember. it allows a spare to be lifted a couple more inches. Spare Tire Mod ... Pics - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spare-tire-mod-pics.172949/

consider this mod while you research the bumper and receiver mods.

I considered modifying the hitch that came with my 80. Requires changing the mounting to outboard the frame to clear the 315 spare. Basically, a custom tow bar.

Yeah, I'd seen those but Slee marks their 2" receiver adapter as not rated for towing. Their 2″ Receiver for SLEE Rear Bumper requires removal of the OEM tire carrier winch plate and isn't rated for towing either.

You will NOT find anything that is “rated” for towing. As in class iii receiver hitch, etc. You will find lots of products that say things like “our whatever is beefier/stronger/heavier than a rated receiver” but nothing an insurance company is going to accept if there is an accident.

Edit: missed that you are asking if anyone fabbed up their own.

Last edited:
You will NOT find anything that is “rated” for towing. As in class iii receiver hitch, etc. You will find lots of products that say things like “our whatever is beefier/stronger/heavier than a rated receiver” but nothing an insurance company is going to accept if there is an accident.
And the one I flipped and welded into my bumper doesn't tow except to haul my motorcycles or quad. But it works great for recovering and moving trailers around the property. Is it incredibly strong? Yes, but it's not rated and I don't think Uhaul/other rental places will accept it either

I tried the 35" spare on mine and always thought it looked like it was wearing a diaper. The labs will be 2X funny looking.

The 315 spare underneath looks like my 80 s*** in its' diaper (whoa, forum auto-corrected 's***' to 's***').

Here is mine

Looks stout but it's the tow rating for insurance that worries me. If I hadn't been using a rated tow hitch when I was in a highway rollover, insurance wouldn't have paid a cent. Even then they didn't pay me enough to buy another comparable Wagoneer but it was enough to buy my 80. Glass half-full.

Edit: missed that you are asking if anyone fabbed up their own.

Yeah, insurance is the issue, not bought vs built. Same comment as to @fjbj40 , insurance compliance is a big concern since losing my '83 Jeep Wagoneer...

richmondbob 1983 Jeep Wagoneer Ltd and the bastard trailer that tried to kill him.jpg

there is a mod i'm reading up on to relocate the spare raising and lowering device / crossmember. it allows a spare to be lifted a couple more inches. Spare Tire Mod ... Pics - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spare-tire-mod-pics.172949/

consider this mod while you research the bumper and receiver mods.

My 80 has the factory auxillary gas tank, which is supercool on long trips, but makes raising the spare a no-go.

UHaul has never had a problem with my ball pintle hitch which is bolted directly to the rear crossmember in the OEM location.

Nobody has asked what you are towing?

Good question. Ideally, I'd like to tow anything between my M416 trailer to an appropriately sized landscaping trailer - the 80 isn't my choice of tow rig for a travel trailer. And of course use the hitch for bike racks and eventually a motorcycle carrier for a 70's dual sport I'm restoring.

Old school seventies Kawasaki dual sport.jpg

The 315 spare underneath looks like my 80 s*** in its' diaper (whoa, forum auto-corrected 's***' to 's***').

Looks stout but it's the tow rating for insurance that worries me. If I hadn't been using a rated tow hitch when I was in a highway rollover, insurance wouldn't have paid a cent. Even then they didn't pay me enough to buy another comparable Wagoneer but it was enough to buy my 80. Glass half-full.

Yeah, insurance is the issue, not bought vs built. Same comment as to @fjbj40 , insurance compliance is a big concern since losing my '83 Jeep Wagoneer...

My 80 has the factory auxillary gas tank, which is supercool on long trips, but makes raising the spare a no-go.

Good question. Ideally, I'd like to tow anything between my M416 trailer to an appropriately sized landscaping trailer - the 80 isn't my choice of tow rig for a travel trailer. And of course use the hitch for bike racks and eventually a motorcycle carrier for a 70's dual sport I'm restoring.

blink-wide-eye.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom