Tow receiver welded in the rear crossmember? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
My 200 has the factory trailer hitch integral to the cross member, which makes me wonder whether I could weld a receiver into my 80 crossmember.

The existing receiver bolted to the underside of the frame has to come out to improve departure angle. It is gone as soon as I find time to remove it. I don't plan to tow much or often, but it'd be nice to retain the ability to do so, even if it is for tossing a bike rack on the bumper.

Somebody must've done this or similar over the last 30 odd years. Can you share your experience and any guidance/tips. Pictures would be a bonus.

I am set up to weld and do light fabrication.

Thanks, pretty sweet. I called and left a message with a question or two. The weld together kit looks great.

Because of all the frame flex welding can crack, that's why for longer sections it is bolted or riveted. For just the receiver portion without a lot of stress and properly welded it should be fine. One huge factor, how strong is what you are welding it to? If is is heavy wall square tubing, great. If it is a thin piece of channel, not good.

I flipped my rear hitch upside down and modified the ears and then welded it in as part of the rear bumper that I made

mhptba-1_1024x1024.jpg

I use one of these… much better solution as it’s easily removable. Toyota rate the rear pintle mounts to 3500kg, so this adapter allows you to a tow ball or whatever other style of mount you like. It does sit slightly lower than the rear chassis member when bolted in, but still way above a tow bar. Plus I kinda like having that as a sacrificial piece to hit the ground rather than the chassis itself.

Note: trailer balance and ball weight is really important, I wouldn’t want to overload this style mount as the twisting force could bend the chassis rail. But if you’re careful and smart with how you use it, should offer a really easy/cheap solution

mhptba-1_1024x1024.jpg

I use one of these… much better solution as it’s easily removable. Toyota rate the rear pintle mounts to 3500kg, so this adapter allows you to a tow ball or whatever other style of mount you like. It does sit slightly lower than the rear chassis member when bolted in, but still way above a tow bar. Plus I kinda like having that as a sacrificial piece to hit the ground rather than the chassis itself.

Note: trailer balance and ball weight is really important, I wouldn’t want to overload this style mount as the twisting force could bend the chassis rail. But if you’re careful and smart with how you use it, should offer a really easy/cheap solution
This sounds like a quick and easy solution. Any tip where I can find this product? I tried to google it and am not having any luck.

That is an Australian product, but I’m sure someone would sell something similar in the US. That product is called “

MISTER HITCHES PINTLE TOW BALL ADAPTOR 4.5T”​

If Toyota did rated the pointle mount’s at 3500kG I think it was over ambitious.
Please post where your getting this info

Hey mate, So basing that on a couple of things...

Firstly, The part number for the 80 Series Pintle Hook is 51980-60011.

Pintle Hook 2.jpg

When I contacted Toyota Australia, I was given the following information:

Pintle Hook.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: My Landcruiser is a 1997 model and rated at 3500kg, the earlier 1990-1995 models are only rated at 2500KG, at least here in Australia.

Hey mate, So basing that on a couple of things...

Firstly, The part number for the 80 Series Pintle Hook is 51980-60011.

View attachment 3327289

When I contacted Toyota Australia, I was given the following information:

View attachment 3327292

PLEASE NOTE: My Landcruiser is a 1997 model and rated at 3500kg, the earlier 1990-1995 models are only rated at 2500KG, at least here in Australia.
Interesting
Thanks for posting

For me, that bolt on thing would be an easy add to pull trailers around the yard, if I can locate one quickly and inexpensively. It'd be a short term solution, since I want a rear bumper with some wing protection.

I left a message with 4x4 labs on Friday, but they were probably out wheeling, which I would be too if I lived there, lol. Hopefully they'll call me back or I can catch them next week. I don't love the idea of spending a grand on the kit, but on the other hand, they've done all of the R&D and heavy lifting of bending and shearing, so it is fair. I can weld and grind all day long for free and it is fun, plus I'll get the satisfaction of having assembled it myself.

For me, that bolt on thing would be an easy add to pull trailers around the yard, if I can locate one quickly and inexpensively. It'd be a short term solution, since I want a rear bumper with some wing protection.

I left a message with 4x4 labs on Friday, but they were probably out wheeling, which I would be too if I lived there, lol. Hopefully they'll call me back or I can catch them next week. I don't love the idea of spending a grand on the kit, but on the other hand, they've done all of the R&D and heavy lifting of bending and shearing, so it is fair. I can weld and grind all day long for free and it is fun, plus I'll get the satisfaction of having assembled it myself.

I have one, SOR used to sell them. I used it on my first FZJ80 20 years ago., been sitting in my garage since then. My 93 has a Avid rear bumper (cut out the rear frame piece) with a receiver style hitch. I towed a small tent trailer with this on my non-lifted 97 - no problems - probaly 1800 lbs. Problem would be a lifted truck and the angle of the trailer tounge might be too much. I you want is it's yours for $50 plus postage. I don't need it. I'm in Tucson 85739
IMG_7632.JPG
IMG_7633.JPG
IMG_7634.JPG

I switched from an early Slee rear bumper,which had a 4 bolt on hitch, to a 4x4 Labs for more clearance and a stronger towing setup. I pull 5000 -6000 # offroad for trail repairs. It can be really challenging dragging a loaded military 1102 trailer thru the rocks and holes, and the Labs bumper has never failed.

They’re not out wheeling, they’re super busy up there and the phone rings constantly. They’re pretty responsive to emails and (I don’t know where you’re located) they welcome visitors. I built a rear bumper and sliders, picked up both kits to save on the shipping costs. The kits are very well made, fit nicely and are easy to weld, I used a Miller 200 and had no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom