Towing Capacity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 Toyota Land Cruiser and it hauls my boast to the lake every weekend. I am looking at a newer boat with a dry weight of 5650 lbs. With trailer I am guessing total weight will be around 6600 lbs. My LC has a hitch that's rated for 5,000 lbs. Any way to increase my towing capacity without breaking the bank? Is it an issue of the hitch limits or the shocks? I willing to spend a little money to avoid the $388 a month covered docking fees if I cant haul this boat. I do not haul long distances. Maybe 3 miles from storage to lake. Can this be done or am I asking for trouble? Thank you

You will be exceeding the stated tow rating of the vehicle if you go over 5,000 pounds. It may have the ability to do it but you will put a great deal of stress on the vehicle. Remember you have to stop it as well as get it rolling.

One other consideration about exceeding the stated capacity. If you were to be involved in an accident while over-loaded there is the potential for legal and insurance ramifications.

You are not taking it very far so who knows?

Dan pretty much sums it up. You are considerably over the rated limit for this vehicle. You may be able to do it, but I think the risk way outweighs the reward. I'd come up with another solution.

Thanks for the honest response. I guess I Kind of knew that but needed verification. Damn, hate to drop that coin for a slip on the water but everything is a balancing act.

Have you thought about getting a pickup? At $400 / month for a slip, I'd be looking for a used truck. And they are useful for other tasks as well. Just a thought.

Is this 3 mile trip on low speed surface streets? Is it hilly?

I am in no way recommending you do it, but, it is not a long drive.

Its mentioned in this forum that the 80 had higher tow ratings overseas. Add some airbags in the rear springs and take your time. Not going to hurt the truck any going 3 miles. Also, I would not use the receiver hitch, instead add a ball hitch plate to the pintle hitch holes, or use a pintle hitch with a built in ball.

Its mentioned in this forum that the 80 had higher tow ratings overseas. Add some airbags in the rear springs and take your time. Not going to hurt the truck any going 3 miles. Also, I would not use the receiver hitch, instead add a ball hitch plate to the pintle hitch holes, or use a pintle hitch with a built in ball.

Overseas ratings do not mean anything to a US insurance company or an ambulance-chasing attorney. Just sayin'.

1000 lbs sounds kind of light for a trailer for a 5000 lb boat. Once you add in gas and gear, I would be surprised if you were below 7000 lbs fully loaded.

I don't believe the 5000 lb towing capacity on the 80 really means a whole lot from a technical perspective. I have certainly towed far more than that on private property. It's 100% about the additional legal liability you open yourself up to by exceeding the manufacturer's stated limits.

Well, its a legal thing.

I for sure have reached 5K towing my travel trailer.

But someone stated for $400 per month would purchase a nice truck or 100 series to pull the boat.

I should listen to my own advice, Eh? Now, if I could talk my wife into it.... Lx470 would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom