Tow Rigs - Lets discuss (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great idea Albert! And inexpensive too!;)

So John (the guy that came with me to SCC) was looking at a 4Runner and some Tacomas in Iowa City yesterday. While at one lot, he saw a lifted 4x4 2000 Ram 4x4 3/4 ton and asked if he could take a look at it. The saleman's story was that it was a trade in that they had sold, but as the buyer was getting things ready for payment, someone at the dealership misplaced the keys and the buyer backed out. So it has been sitting on the lot for awhile. John though that I might be interested in replacing the chevy, so he asked what they were looking to get. The guy said that they would let it go for 6k if they could find the keys, but regardless, it was going to auction on Thursday. John jokingly said if I showed up with a trailer and $2000, would you let it go. The salesman laughed for a moment and said the he could do that.

So John calls me and we go back today to look at it while the dealership is closed. It's a 24v Cummins with a 6" straight pipe, gooseneck ball, huge cylindrical air filter, Quadzilla Adrenaline tuner, leather front seats, bedliner, aftermarket fuel filtration and lift pump, automatic transmission, aftermarket front mount aluminum intercooler. Fluids all look good and aside from not being able to check trans fluid level, oil and coolant look healthy and full. There was a major leak on the trans pan and a little bit of wetness on the trans cooler lines in the front. The turbo drain line was also leaking a little bit around where it mates to the turbo and also a little bit where it reaches the block. Tires are completely shot, likely roasted off and it has 6" block in the rear, 6" spacers in the front.

Worth pursuing without being able to start it? I figure something there has to be worth the money if all else fails.

IMG_20141026_122701_zpsmsdjdlau.jpg

Sounds like typical used car salesman tactics. So they'll knock off 4k if you come take it as is......because they don't have keys for it? I would have to agree that you could recoup the 2k in parts but do you really want to part out a truck is the question.......:hmm:

That's why I'm calling on the cummins guys here. I liked for what I know kills these engines and didn't see anything, just wondering if there is something else to look at.

so ya can open the hood but can`t start it ? get a lock smith to cut a key or dealer will on the VIN

Keys were lost with it unlocked. I'm sure I could get it started, but not in a way that they would like. I planned on talking to a Dodge dealer about the key.

so ya can open the hood but can`t start it ? get a lock smith to cut a key or dealer will on the VIN

If it's that easy to get keys for it, why are they willing to knock off $4k?? That's what I was asking earlier.......

I talked to him today, he was still saying $6500 and otherwise it was going to the auction. I'm not paying that for something I can't drive and have no idea if it will handle a load.

I'm not sold on their story bud and looking at the oil spot under it and the wet tranny pan and lines it could have a blown tranny and they don't want anyone to drive it. My father-in-laws 2004 blew up the tranny with 80K on the ODO he rebuilt it and blew again 20K later tranny's were trash during that time 2000 - 05. The engine is no question a keeper the axles on the 3/4 ton should be good as well and the rest of the truck looks solid so if you can score it for steal and find a good tranny swap it looks like you'd have a solid truck. I drove a 93 3/4 4WD with the manual trans to New Iberia for the Salt mine they bought 4 of them all equipped the same way. They said the manual trans was the way to go on those trucks that would be towing loads for a living.

I know this is a little late but as stated any Dodge dealership can cut a key for the ignition switch with just the vin number. How did this turn out for you ?

The guy tried to work up the price. So I wished him luck with the auction and walked away.

Good move bro! Just looking at that truck I could tell it had been abused. Probably some kid...

It had definitely spent time off of the pavement.

Posting this up for what it's worth . I have not had good luck with the "ST" tires that came on my double axle trailer nor on the gooseneck trailer . Double axle was bought new tire only lasted two years , gooseneck was three years old when I purchased it used. Trailers have always been parked on cement or limestone, not just put in the back yard on the grass and pulled out when needed. Four years is all I would keep tires on a trailer that I haul long distances.
Blowing out tires on a road trip is not fun and down right scary . Not as bad on the double axle but on the gooseneck it's no fun at all , and with murphy's law it will be at night time :( .
After reading a few different forms (naturally lots of opinions out there) I have started running "LT" Load range E tires for the last year (the same ones that come on the diesel trucks ) on my trailers and could not be happier with them. I have one trip to HotSprings and five or so local runs on the "truck" tires on the trailer . Attached is some food for thought about truck tires / trailer tires.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/1157274-towing-over-ratings-15.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/towing-hauling/1457130-trailer-king-st-tire-exploded-75-load.html

Bottom of page was his experience for December 2014
http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=2014-another-exploding-st-special-trailer-tire

Posting this up for what it's worth . I have not had good luck with the "ST" tires that came on my double axle trailer nor on the gooseneck trailer . Double axle was bought new tire only lasted two years , gooseneck was three years old when I purchased it used. Trailers have always been parked on cement or limestone, not just put in the back yard on the grass and pulled out when needed. Four years is all I would keep tires on a trailer that I haul long distances.
Blowing out tires on a road trip is not fun and down right scary . Not as bad on the double axle but on the gooseneck it's no fun at all , and with murphy's law it will be at night time :( .
After reading a few different forms (naturally lots of opinions out there) I have started running "LT" Load range E tires for the last year (the same ones that come on the diesel trucks ) on my trailers and could not be happier with them. I have one trip to HotSprings and five or so local runs on the "truck" tires on the trailer . Attached is some food for thought about truck tires / trailer tires.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/1157274-towing-over-ratings-15.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/towing-hauling/1457130-trailer-king-st-tire-exploded-75-load.html

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=2014-another-exploding-st-special-trailer-tire

I'm with you on the ST tires generally being garbage. I too made the switch over to a E rated 16 inch tire...I don't recall the exact size but its something along the lines of 245-16 tire which is along the lines of a stock size on certain year model 3/4 ton pickups. I've had zero problems since going down that road. Previiously I had a ST tire "blow-up" for no apparent reason on my dual axle car hauler. Needless to say I was not to thrilled with having to deal with flat-blow out on the road. I generally drive 70-75 loaded on the hwy and the e rated tires have served we well on the trailer...I'm approx 10K (trailer loaded). I was hesitant to get away from the ST tires but the move to LT E rated tires have been a good decision and as noted I've had zero problems. Another good aspect of that is that with this common tire size..its likely you would find a tire shop with that size in stock in case you had to acquire a new tire somewhere. I run the all-season type tires on my Car hauler.

We were just talking about this last night Albert thanks for posting here. I'll run with this I'm definitely going with the LT's before our Grand Canyon run this summer :)

Larry try southwest tires. I have had good luck with tires for them. Lots of folks want a bigger or more aggressive tire and the factory ones hit the used tire market. $32 a tire mounted and balanced is hard to beat.

Larry try southwest tires. I have had good luck with tires for them. Lots of folks want a bigger or more aggressive tire and the factory ones hit the used tire market. $32 a tire mounted and balanced is hard to beat.

Thanks Jude I sure will, its gonna be April before I go get them but I'll call them first. Its just over a year old but I'm not trusting those factory give me tires they put on at the factory I've gotten burned on our out west trip last time and not chancing it on this trip :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom