Tow Rigs - Lets discuss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

trailer tires suck! run LT E or better will B glad ya did.

My Dodge has been getting the Lion's share of my lunch money lately as I prepare it for another 16 day trip to the Grand Canyon & Sedona in May/June with the family. I never knew the frontend was so temperamental all of a sudden. After changing the front wheel bearings my issue just kept moving. I changed the drivers front axle outer joint and driveshaft u-joints. This month I've changed the trackbar with a heavy adjustable version and the swaybar endlinks. I have the steering box brace left to do and hopefully align it and that'll be the end of it :( Before I go I'll replace the rear driveshaft u-joints it currently has 142K on it and if the front went I'm sure the rear isn't far behind I hate how Mopar doesn't use greaseable u-joints. Also replaced the weathered and worn factory headlights for a new pair that were blacked out. Hopefully I'm done for now so I can give some attention to the toys :)

Swarbar enlinks - http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/maxxlink-sway-bar-end-links/
Adjustable Track Bar - http://www.8lugtruckgear.com/Pure-Performance-Dodge-Heavy-Duty-Adjustable-Track-Bar-p688.html
Steering Box brace - http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/151P

Photo Apr 02, 1 23 28 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 02, 8 43 16 AM.jpg
Photo Apr 02, 8 43 16 AM.jpg

looking better . now can u c any better?

That's some good upgrades, easier to fix it now than on the road.

Where did you get head lights from?
Whole assembley or just housing.

Where did you get head lights from?
Whole assembley or just housing.

Ordered the AM Auto-Parts set but they didn't fit the driver side with the coolant jug and had an amber bar on the bottom I don't have a factory plug for so I sent the back. I was skeptical about these VIPMotoz but the guy said moneyback guarantee if you don't like them send them back so I tried them and I like them. The OEM lasted 7 years so if these lasted 5 that'll be good with me and at that price I could afford to replace them again :)

IMG_0474.PNG

The first ones I tried.

main.JPG

http://stores.ebay.com/VIPMOTOZ-LOVE-IT-OR-RETURN-IT

Thanks!

Larry are you going to wheel the Ram ?? You're putting trail rig type money in it ; )

Like the way the lights look. Give us some mpg feedback from your trip if ya don't mind sir.

Larry are you going to wheel the Ram ?? You're putting trail rig type money in it ; )

Like the way the lights look. Give us some mpg feedback from your trip if ya don't mind sir.

LOL, no wheeling the Ram that monster needs 4WD to get out of wet grass its a heavy SOB. With these big trips I tend to over maintain and look for things that could be suspect to issues. I had 142,000 on the ODO before this trip had a few steering gremlins to get worked out the OEM setup had a design flaw they corrected afterwards and I already upgraded a few components before I received the recall notice. The ball joints are another weak point the consensus says I'm on borrowed time but I chose to leave them. After getting back from the 4000 mile trip and the shedding the weight of dragging that loaded RV they're starting to make noise now so it'll be my next upgrade. Its an 08 model so the initial money I put in the programmer, delete and exhaust at 100K about $1500, and the recent upgrades to steering, lights, and maintenance about another grand before this last trip hasn't been horrible. I don't owe a dime on it so every time I think I'd like a new one this small bit of maintenance is a whole lot better than a 50/60K investment on a new one. I recently purchased a cover for it so hopefully it'll help with the sun and weather on it. I still love the cab size, engine and towing I get out of it. I made this last trip with a tow package F150 averaging 8mpg, F250 with 6.4 averaging 11mpg and I averaged 13mpg. We cruised between 65 - 68 which is the sweet spot of my rig at 2100/2200 RPM.

_DSC1857.JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really dig it your gonna like that one bud :)

Installed the B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch today. This model of hitch bolts into the stock crossmember, so no need for the frame plates on the frame rails.
20160111_105644.jpg 20160111_130201.jpg 20160111_151134.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice bud, clean install. It crazy to see coil springs under the rear end but I bet it rides like a Caddy looking good :)

will have to put eye terminals on cables is tat yur plan?

will have to put eye terminals on cables is tat yur plan?

Yes Sir ;) I have a hydraulic crimper I bought when I extended the winch solenoid on the 80. I just need to source the lugs :) Most likely will be on the to do list when I get back from the trip. Last night I started one of the many last min projects getting ready for the Ouray trip will likely DD the RAM until we leave.

Have you guys ever been pulling a load and then it suddenly feels 10x heavier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom