Tough dog review thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope, stock uca's. I keep wondering the same thing, if it'll ride better with aftermarket units.

I don't know that the UCA makes that much of a difference. I replaced mine with the Nitros. But, that was because my UBJs were absolutely shot and needed to be replaced.

The thing that WILL make a difference (and I think EVERYONE should get them with any lift) are the extended links from Jason for the front and rear swaybars. I didn't do them at first. Truck rode fine. Got them a few months later. Truck rode noticeably better both on and off road.

I don't know that the UCA makes that much of a difference. I replaced mine with the Nitros. But, that was because my UBJs were absolutely shot and needed to be replaced.

The thing that WILL make a difference (and I think EVERYONE should get them with any lift) are the extended links from Jason for the front and rear swaybars. I didn't do them at first. Truck rode fine. Got them a few months later. Truck rode noticeably better both on and off road.
i have those links. they killed the squeak i had with my old links.

Just a quick update.

I installed a which on my dissent and it drives and feels much better now. I finally know how they feel. I guess that extra 70 pounds is really what it needed to smooth out the 53mm ralphs.

Thanks again Jason.

Probably as good a place to ask this as anywhere...do the larger bore TDs differ from the smaller in damping rate, or is it just to aid in heat and wear? In other words will a 41 and a 53 ride the same, with the benefit of the 53 just being cooling and longevity if really pushed?

Probably as good a place to ask this as anywhere...do the larger bore TDs differ from the smaller in damping rate, or is it just to aid in heat and wear? In other words will a 41 and a 53 ride the same, with the benefit of the 53 just being cooling and longevity if really pushed?

The 53mm is designed for heavier front weights; (bumper, winch, dual batteries) It will ride much firmer and you will feel more road variations without the added weights up front.

J

The 53mm is designed for heavier front weights; (bumper, winch, dual batteries) It will ride much firmer and you will feel more road variations without the added weights up front.

J

Thanks! In the back, is it the same sort of rules of thumb for where the 45s make sense over the 40s (bumper, fridge etc). Like would a guy ever run a medium spring with the 45s, or do they tend to pair up with loaded uses where you'd run heavies?

Thanks! In the back, is it the same sort of rules of thumb for where the 45s make sense over the 40s (bumper, fridge etc). Like would a guy ever run a medium spring with the 45s, or do they tend to pair up with loaded uses where you'd run heavies?
I'll jump on this one, the main difference is that the 40's are fixed and the 45's are adjustable depending on the load you're carrying.

If you're looking at tough dog, you HAVE to get the adjustable rears. they're very versatile.

Have almost 25k miles on my 2” with 41’s front and rear. Still loving this kit.
6CA6CAEA-C379-4466-BAB3-A5769CAB5EF8.jpeg

I'll jump on this one, the main difference is that the 40's are fixed and the 45's are adjustable depending on the load you're carrying.

If you're looking at tough dog, you HAVE to get the adjustable rears. they're very versatile.

Thanks Ibrahim -I think they actually now offer both the 40s and 45s in adjustables per their site Tough Dog 4WD Suspension | Suspension , but looks like everyone here in the US has gone the 45 route from what I've gathered, guess it wound be crazy to start from what's been working for everyone to try and save a buck!

Last edited:
Does anyone know shock's length when it is extended for the 41mm and 45mm?

Thanks Ibrahim -I think they actually now offer both the 40s and 45s in adjustables per their site Tough Dog 4WD Suspension | Suspension , but looks like everyone here in the US has gone the 45 route from what I've gathered, guess it wound be crazy to start from what's been working for everyone to try and save a buck!
That was never an option for us afaik. But yes, they've been on the Australian website for a while now.

I am installing my 45 adjustable shocks today and had a question for those of you running them. Did you install them with the adjustment knob facing the tire or facing the differential. I plan to order the shock guards at some point, just wanted to see how others are running them.

I am installing my 45 adjustable shocks today and had a question for those of you running them. Did you install them with the adjustment knob facing the tire or facing the differential. I plan to order the shock guards at some point, just wanted to see how others are running them.
I had them facing the diff, then read about breaking the adjustment knob, so i flipped them facing the tire. Then i bought the trail tailor shock protectors and they're facing the diff again. I highly recommend those for your adjustable shocks.

When facing the diff, adjustment is much easier.

Mine face outboard towards the tire. Makes adjusting just a tad more difficult, but not terrible.

I replaced my AHC system with a Tough Dog kit about 6 months ago. My vehicle is mostly stock (LT tires, sliders & drawers) lightweight, and I'm probably a bit particular about ride/handling. I spent a good deal of time tuning/tweaking (swapping shocks & springs and adjusting torsion bars) until I was happy with the results. In the process, I now have an assortment of torsion bars, springs and shocks (from multiple manufacturers/vendors) sitting on shelves in the garage.

My current configuration:
Just Differentials Nitro UCA​
Trail Tailor Extended Sway Bar Links​
Trail Tailor Diff Drop​
Tough Dog Torsion Bars​
Tough Dog 41mm shocks​
OME 2865 rear springs​
Tough Dog 45mm Adjustable Rear Shocks (set to #5)​
~20.25” front (3.25” droop)​
~21.5” rear (~ 1.25” rake)​

Lessons learned:
OME 60000/60002 ride very differently than the Tough Dog equivalent (on the same vehicle with the same springs).​
Don't over tighten the nyloc nut on the top of the Tough Dog shocks, you'll just crush the bushings and lose "droop".​
Too little droop sucks just as bad as I remembered.​
The bushings on the Nitro UCAs take a whole lot more lube than I expected.​
The adjustments on the 45mm rear shocks actually do something, unlike some other "adjustable" shocks I've had.​
Overall, I am very happy with the ride and handling of the Tough Dog kit. Unlike the OME shocks on the same vehicle, the wheels/tires actually move up and down over road imperfections, instead of (the OME) losing contact with the road and all of the movement seeming to be in the vehicle as a whole. At some point in the future, I may try bumping the front up a little more and swap the taller rear springs back in, but for the moment I'll enjoy it as it is.

How to describe the ride...
  • Sections of rough road that used to overwhelm the AHC system (on #3) are no problem for the Tough Dog kit.
  • Comfort is somewhat similar to AHC on #3.
  • My son's "armored" middleweight 100, with an OME kit, can take neighborhood speed humps at a higher speed, without becoming unsettled, but the overall ride is much less pleasant.
Since I have a spare pair of 53mm front shocks sitting in the garage, I'm half tempted to order another set of 45mm rears, so I can replace the OME shocks on my son's vehicle with Tough Dog.

Last edited:
I am very interested in the Tough Dog suspension, it sounds like a great ride compared to other brands which is my number 1 priority. My question is, is there any way to run it with as little lift as possille? I'd like to keep the truck as close to stock ride height as possible while adding weight, and increasing suspension performance. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

In my current configuration, running all ToughDog (except for the rear springs which are OME 865), I'm at:

20.25" front, 21.5" rear​

Which is about +0.75" in front, and +1.0" in the rear, over what I had when running AHC:

19.5" front, 20.5" rear​

There should be no problem running the front at OEM height, but depending on your weight in the rear, it might be hard to find "upgraded" aftermarket rear springs that don't have some sort of lift in the rear. If I were doing this again, I'd probably lean toward the OME 866 (dual rate) springs in rear, instead of the 865 (single rate) springs

Last edited:
In my current configuration, running all ToughDog (except for the rear springs which are OME 865), I'm at:

20.25" front, 21.5" rear​

Which is about +0.75" in front, and +1.0" in the rear, over what I had running when AHC:

19.5" front, 20.5" rear​

There would be no problem running the front at OEM height, but depending on your weight in the rear, it might be hard to find "upgraded" aftermarket rear springs that don't have some sort of lift in there rear.

So you installed the Tough Dog torsion bars and just didn't crank them up? If my knowledge of suspension is correct in theory I can run the proper rate springs (bars), and increase preload (crank) to get the lift, droop, or sag I want.

It seems I will need to run some lift, I'm just trying to stay in the 1 to 1.5 territory instead of the 2.5 to 3 range that is listed on most of the kits.

The 865s seem like a good choice until the rear end gets heavier, how much weight do you have on yours currently?

So you installed the Tough Dog torsion bars and just didn't crank them up? If my knowledge of suspension is correct in theory I can run the proper rate springs (bars), and increase preload (crank) to get the lift, droop, or sag I want.

It seems I will need to run some lift, I'm just trying to stay in the 1 to 1.5 territory instead of the 2.5 to 3 range that is listed on most of the kits.

The 865s seem like a good choice until the rear end gets heavier, how much weight do you have on yours currently?

Yes, you have a fair bit of adjustability in front as long as you don't exceed certain limits.

The main difference between most of the 1.5" and 2.5" lift kits, for the 100 series, are the rear spring height.

I'm a lightweight in the rear (stock) most of the time. I do swap the 3rd row for drawers, from time to time, but that's probably about an even swap.

I should mention that my 865 springs were a set that we pulled off of my son's vehicle, which is a bit heavier than mine, so they may have a tad more sag than brand new 865 springs, which are advertised as 1.5" springs.

It is my understanding that Trail Tailor does have access to some shorter ToughDog springs, equivalent to the OME 865 or 866, but these were out of stock when I was ordering my kit. I ordered the taller ToughDog springs with my kit (that were in stock), and after install decided that these were too tall for my needs. I swapped the rears out for some OME 865s that I already had sitting in my garage. You may want to check with Jason at Trail Tailor before you go the route that I did.

Last edited:
I'm getting closer to purchasing this system for my rig and am wondering if anyone has added a stronger rear sway bar? Because of the RTT I'm going to have, and rear bumper swing outs, dual spare tires, etc... I'm wondering if I should upgrade the sway bar.
Jason, do you have any input on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom