TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guess youre done with your old wiper blades
#walmart

IMG_20200113_112032638.jpg

The biggest issue I have noticed with traffic since I moved back to NC is the amount of slow driving old people on the road. It is further complicated because NC or Raleigh area at least doesn’t have a bunch of street lights which is usually no big deal but for some reason they love using black material for the streets with no reflective stuff added to it. The roadways are super dangerous especially when it rains because your lights reflect off that dark surface a lot which does not allow you to see the lane markers.
I really hate driving between 9 a.m. and around 4 p.m. because that’s when all the old slow people love to drive around here. Luckily, I rarely have to deal with Raleigh traffic though.

I'll agree with everything you say. I'm not going to say NC drivers are the worst, since I have driven in SC and Jersey (most likely top two) and about 45 of the states. But they are up there. The roads themselves ate nice though and most taken care of well.

Last edited:
So automakers keep coming up with these idiotic ways to eek out .1 mpg on the unrealistic govt mpg tests....things that cause significant extra cost to the cost of vehicles when new and cost to fix when the vehicle gets a bit old. All that, but stop lights are still timed and programmed by morons. Stop and go is a MPG killer, and me having to stop at a stop light late at night when no other cars are around and then accelerate instantly negates any possible MPG gain with some hacky stop and start system, that I don't won't on my vehicle in the first place.

Finding out that two of three sub parts of an assembly (winch) don’t work out of a new box. Isolator switch and contactor. And the manufacturer still hasn’t responded after 3 weeks. This thing is going in the burn pile if it fails after the new parts are installed

It literally only worked (eventually) to spool in the line under tension after install. Yes, I’ve cleaned all connections and metered them to a net result of failure.

Not sure why I decided to whine about this right now when I have much bigger fish to fry. Probably because the others are best left out of the public!

Finding out that two of three sub parts of an assembly (winch) don’t work out of a new box. Isolator switch and contactor. And the manufacturer still hasn’t responded after 3 weeks. This thing is going in the burn pile if it fails after the new parts are installed

It literally only worked (eventually) to spool in the line under tension after install. Yes, I’ve cleaned all connections and metered them to a net result of failure.

Not sure why I decided to whine about this right now when I have much bigger fish to fry. Probably because the others are best left out of the public!
what brand is it?

what brand is it?
Withholding that info until I get a reply from the manufacturer and actually have the old parts completely removed for absolute off-vehicle bench testing. Rest assured that there's little chance of someone here buying this brand - price and distribution network limit that.

I will say that I'm measuring 3.6 volts at the cut off switch output and there's an LED after that to indicate "power on".

An Albright contactor is already in hand and I'm ordering Anderson connectors for definite isolation.

Why does the Uber app drain my phone battery almost as fast as it accepts a charge? Does this happen to anybody else, or is it just another example of Apple telling me that they're not happy that my phone has lasted over 5 years?

Some apps are total power hogs. TuneIn Radio will drain my wife's phone about as fast as it will charge.

@JohnVee you have the setting on use location only when using the app? The app is a power hog and the almighty applecrapple wants to remind you, your phone is old. ;<)

People who post something for sale, get a full price offer and the decide to "accept bids" because the price was really good and they got lots of interest... wtf! You priced it, so honor the damn price to the guy who shows up with the cash...

Guy posted a 97 locally. We asked about it and he says "I've got a full price offer and I'm taking bids" F U and the horse you rode in on. That's not cool.

Small potatoes, but...

I have a half bath in my basement under the staircase. It’s the only toilet in the house that doesn’t have a soft close seat. Sometimes I forget. One day I’ll measure the decibel level of the seat slamming down in that tiny enclosed space.

Minor rant on myself, but just one of those days. Trying to mount a winch plate and winch on the front of the trailer. Line everything up and drill all my holes, bolt everything together and now the bolts holding the winch to the plate have my mounting bolts about a half to three-quarters of an inch too high... try re drilling, but the edge of new hole overlaps old hole and I can't get new holes drilled. Try moving over slightly only to realize that I destroyed the cutting faces while trying to drill the overlap... was planning to go pick up a 60 for the parts wench tomorrow, but now have to reschedule, still have to fix holes to get the alignment right. At this point either going to weld them up and grind to get a clean surface to drill or get a carbide cutter and elongate the holes... either way I've wasted an afternoon in the cold and turned a $20 bit into scrape cause I'm stupid.

5933EE05-6A62-415F-8AAC-F422EFA2E3E6.gif
5D8C7F50-5C1F-4448-B1F1-4255314BD828.jpeg

Ugh. And I was even being patient. Soak. Tighten. Losen/tighten/losen/tighten/loosen/snap. Now it’s my turn to try and kill a drill bit.

Why does my 80 look gray in that pic? And why are you working on it???

Maybe he wanted to turn your bolts into nuts???

weatherman this morning: very slight chance of scattered showers today....
So I leave a few things out and uncovered...no big deal...what are the odds
NOW: full bands of rain, running the entire state north to south, 100 miles east to west
How can they be soooo bad at their job and reporting?

I had the same thought as I went out to cover some stuff I should’ve moved back in to the shop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom