TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Permethrin doesn't have many drawbacks that I have ever been able to find. It is an organic substance made of chrysanthemum flowers. (Edit: Oops! It is not organic. It is a chemical derivative of the chrysanthemum. Man-made. I looked it up!) It is safe for pregnant women. I've gotten some of it on my skin by accident and I didn't die. I didn't have any kind of reaction at all. I haven't had it to melt stuff like DEET does but maybe I have just been lucky. Medical grade permethrin is used as an ointment to be used on the skin and hair to kill lice. Sawyers and the stuff you get at Tractor Supply is insecticide grade. Not sure what the difference is? Supposedly it's not good for cats. I don't have cats. Maybe Permethrin is the reason? People do use it in bulk to spray their crops and yards but I've read that it is bad for bees and fish. One drawback is that it doesn't repel bugs. It just plain kills them. You will get mosquito bites with permethrin unless you're lucky enough to have the mosquito to land on your treated clothing and not your bare arm or leg. I still use DEET for mosquitos. In my experience, Permethrin loses it's ability to do it's job on hard surfaces after a couple of days in the sun or after a couple of times being wet. It lasts longer on fabrics and porus material that it can be absorbed into. I believe it is the chemical residue that kills insects. Once the residue is cleaned off, it has to be re-applied. The military impregnates the fabric in it's uniforms with the chemical now during manufacturing. I use it in the camper a few days prior to camping to kill any bugs and spiders that may be hanging around. In the garage, it's great for those little spiders making egg sacks under all your tool boxes, etc. I use it to kill the carpenter bees that bore holes in my deck. Shoot some in the hole...next day there is a dead carpenter bee on the ground. Ta dah! I treat my outdoor clothes every few weeks during the summer. Tent, hammocks, sleeping bags (woobies) and camp chairs get it too. Oh yeah, dog's bed gets it every few weeks as well to keep fleas and ticks at bay. It's a handy product with lots of uses and I believe it to be safe.

Last edited:
Ok, today's rant

Some people (noone here), and their stuff (again noone here).

Its a good thing Im not independently wealthy, because i would spend the foreseeable future telling people exactly where they could put their stuff.

I must be hungry or needing a snickers bar or something

Did I mention slow drivers?

Also, what gives with the text set holding up traffic to text and read their texts? Wednesday in Cary, a young lady in convertible was holding up about 20 cars as she texted, she was doing 20 mph in a 45 mph zone. People were honking their horns. When she completed her text, she waved her hand up in the air, and then sped up to 35 mph. It was like something out of a movie.

Oh boy...this is a good one...

Machine shop called and my head checks out, no issues, etc. etc. should be ready soon. But they now would rather me get the valve stem seals vs them ordering. No big deal, but they told me they would order...come to find out Amazon is out of stock and they don't want to have to charge me freight to order from somewhere else.

So, with Beno currently being out for his move, I've got to find another parts source. I choose to go oem and they're still available...shouldn't be a big deal. I've got the part number, easy peezy, right? Uh maybe not...

Called reputable Toyota dealer and asked for parts counter. Get connected....

Me: Hi, I got a few parts I would like to order. I have the part number, please let me know when your ready.
Parts person: what's your phone number?
Me: 910blah blah blah ( thinking to myself, why does it matter...but I'm sure the Computer asked him for it)
Parts person: Stephanie Mabe?
Me: yes, that's my wife.
Queue Uncomfortable silence....
Parts person: is there another number you want me to check?
Me: no, it's fine to use that number....she's my wife but that's my cell (beginning to get frustrated...yes I have zero ****ing patience)
Parts person: uh, well, they'll need to number to get ahold of you.
Me: yes, it's my phone, just her name, feel free to change the name to Jon...same last name...it's my phone. Do I have to have a phone number to order parts?
Parts person: no, they just need to be able to reference the order to you.
Me: (thinking to myself...ok, do you want the ****ing part number or my number)
Parts person: what's the part number?
Me: 9xxxxxxxxx (something another, whatever, doesn't matter for my rant....)
Parts person: uh....how many do you need?
Me: 12...how much are they each?
Parts person: uh...those are like 17.xx each
Me: wow, that seems really high. Most sites have them listed for 8-9 bucs each?
Parts person: yeah, the site includes a web discount
Me: (thinking to myself....holy ****ing s*** this price is insane and how do you know how other merchants discount the parts on their websites) oh, ok, do you guys match prices or still do the ONSC club discount to get the price closer to other merchants, I'd like to support local merchants when possible?
Parts person: yeah, I don't know offhand, are there other parts you need?
Me: (deciding to cut my losses and not ****ing explode on this guy) no, thanks. Thanks for your time, I'll get them elsewhere.

I then texted a buddy and was like - these guys ****ing suck...they quoted me like 100% markup from retail. We texted back and forth and come to find out, this same merchant has a website and lists the part for the same as most others...like 8 something each.

So I order them from the website and get a confirmation. Jesus ****ing christ...this dip**** at the parts counter was referring to their website...you've got to be ****ing kidding me? I have to go online to get the same part from the same merchant for a reasonable price vs them taking the order over the phone?? Evidently...yes...no wonder civilization is going down hill with s*** like this (I kid I kid...first would problems).

I imagine I'll get an email from the same parts guy when my order is ready and then go in, he'll ask for my phone number and we'll go through the same ****ing routine as earlier. Dumbass...

This type of experience is why having a resource/vendor like @beno Is invaluable!! He makes it so easy and we don't have to deal with all the bull**** dumbass mother ****ers and get a stellar price!! What more could we ask for...well maybe less NLA parts but I digress.

Well...mother fxxxers!!!

I called today, just to check the status of my online order...not expecting it to already be in, but wondering when, so I could give the machine shop a heads up. To my surprise, Internet Parts person (let's call him Adam) is delighted to share that my parts are in fact available for pickup, but he just hadn't yet been able to update the site (which would've then sent me an email).

Saweet - taking a long lunch to drive out there (from Durham) to pick them up and then drop off at the Hoff. I was sure to double confirm with Adam that all 12 of my parts were there and would be ok for me to swing by and pick them up today. He answered "Yes" emphatically.

So...I get there and Adam just left for lunch, but the gentlemen at the counter seems willing to look for my parts even though he's not the Internet Parts Person and has no clue what Adam did with my s***. He disappears for 5 minutes or so (always wanted to know where they actually go...), comes back and I can tell he's getting a bit frustrated and can't find them (not with me but with Adam). He disappears again for 5 minutes or so...while he's gone, I enjoy browsing through all the cool ARB stuff in their parts showroom...fancy fridges galore.

He returns with that all so familiar Toyota zip-lock baggie...(hell yeah he found them) but he's like, I found 4 of them. Thinking to myself - why in the hell would they send 2 separate bags for the same parts?? Well, come to find out, only 4 came in and the other 8 are back ordered. Fxxx, I just drove 45 minutes to find out that dip s*** Internet Parts Person (still Adam) didn't actually verify they were all there. Kinda glad he was at lunch...tough to get pissed at the guy helping me when it wasn't his doing...

It's actually not a big deal in my situation, since they can now deliver them to the Hoff when they actually come in (nice guy helping me while Adam was at lunch offered this). I didn't have to have them today, the hoff wouldn't have been able to finish their work today even if I did, but making a wasted trip to Raleigh is a bummer.

My experience must be one of those off the wall instances with this dealer...I'll just chalk it up to Adam and the other dip s*** that I spoke to on the phone earlier this week.

Well...mother ****ers!!!

I called today, just to check the status of my online order...not expecting it to already be in, but wondering when, so I could give the machine shop a heads up. To my surprise, Internet Parts person (let's call him Adam) is delighted to share that my parts are in fact available for pickup, but he just hadn't yet been able to update the site (which would've then sent me an email).

Saweet - taking a long lunch to drive out there (from Durham) to pick them up and then drop off at the Hoff. I was sure to double confirm with Adam that all 12 of my parts were there and would be ok for me to swing by and pick them up today. He answered "Yes" emphatically.

So...I get there and Adam just left for lunch, but the gentlemen at the counter seems willing to look for my parts even though he's not the Internet Parts Person and has no clue what Adam did with my s***. He disappears for 5 minutes or so (always wanted to know where they actually go...), comes back and I can tell he's getting a bit frustrated and can't find them (not with me but with Adam). He disappears again for 5 minutes or so...while he's gone, I enjoy browsing through all the cool ARB stuff in their parts showroom...fancy fridges galore.

He returns with that all so familiar Toyota zip-lock baggie...(hell yeah he found them) but he's like, I found 4 of them. Thinking to myself - why in the hell would they send 2 separate bags for the same parts?? Well, come to find out, only 4 came in and the other 8 are back ordered. ****, I just drove 45 minutes to find out that dip s*** Internet Parts Person (still Adam) didn't actually verify they were all there. Kinda glad he was at lunch...tough to get pissed at the guy helping me when it wasn't his doing...

It's actually not a big deal in my situation, since they can now deliver them to the Hoff when they actually come in (nice guy helping me while Adam was at lunch offered this). I didn't have to have them today, the hoff wouldn't have been able to finish their work today even if I did, but making a wasted trip to Raleigh is a bummer.

My experience must be one of those off the wall instances with this dealer...I'll just chalk it up to Adam and the other dip s*** that I spoke to on the phone earlier this week.

The internet ordering is sweet, but they still have quite a few kinks to work out with the pickup process. If Adam's not there, they have REAL problems finding the parts. Plus, seems Adam is "out" quite a bit.

The internet ordering is sweet, but they still have quite a few kinks to work out with the pickup process. If Adam's not there, they have REAL problems finding the parts. Plus, seems Adam is "out" quite a bit.

Agreed, the site is very nice. Most of the time I can find the part number from another site with more diagrams and then copy and paste the part # in the local dealers site. It was similar for my benz but I also had a desktop app that would connect to Mercedes EPC and provide every diagram that a dealer could see...was soooo nice.

Toyota Dealerships need an online service records for all dealership & actually use them.
If the owner of a cruiser has told you he just move to the area and had his cruiser maintained by a dealership-check his service records. When he asks you to replace the fan bracket & bearing assembly when replacing the TB, replace it. Don't say it looks good to us so we didn't replace it when I retrieve my cruiser from you 4 days later.:censor:
We drive it 2 days later and the AC won't blow cold air-it worked fine before the dealership work. Back to the dealer who claims "there has to be a leak-we refilled it with dye. Here is your invoice for $$$."
3 weeks later wife starts the cruiser to hear the dread "whum hum whum" sound...she calls me outside I tell her shut it down. Dealer can't get me in for 2 days until yesterday despite me telling them that this is related to the work done 3 weeks prior. Note- The AC has been working fine since they refilled it. I take it in.:bang:
Lets just say this rant is just a start of how bad yesterday was...

Last edited:
I am sitting here watching breaking news on the shooting in Alexandria VA at the Congressional softball practice. Initial news is saying a sniper with a rifle is suspect. Suspect now in custody.

What the hell is wrong with people? How does one get to the point where shooting congressmen practicing for a softball game at 7:30 AM is the solution for your problems? I know there are no clear answers, I am just put off by this and the dogs don't understand what I am talking about. I am gonna finish ordering parts and get away from the news and go listen to tunes in the shop.

I blame the media extremists on both sides of the telebizness...they get their bases soo worked up in their view, and more importantly, get the other side bent out of shape enough to "rationalize" this type of stupidity. Those pundits say there is no middle, youre either far left, or far right. your middle ground is meaningless...

Assenine, totally assenine

Here we go!!

Got my driveshafts today.
Rather, I sent my wife to go pick them up because I knew I would be working late.

Get home stocked that I finally have the resized driveshafts and the truck will be able to drive on its own power out of the garage finally.

Get home, eat dinner go outside to take driveshafts out of the truck and into the garage and to inspect them.

Well, guess what? They rebuilt the driveshafts alright. But they didn't resize them at all. So now I am already $788 into these two driveshafts and they are not what I want.

They did rebuild and rebalance them. They look very well done. Unfortanetly they didn't resize them.

The whole purpose of me dropping them off was to get them resized and then obviously by default have them rebuilt and rebalanced.

Hopefully it was just miscommunication on their part between the front desk and the machine shop.

I am pissed though. Especially if they decide to charge me more. Because at this point I have two brand new driveshafts that I can't even use. So the only logical thing to do is to pay them to resize them.

Again, hopefully I can convince them that it is their fault not mine.

The worksheet I filled out had the new measurements on it.

Again, hopefully I can convince them that it is their fault not mine.

The worksheet I filled out had the new measurements on it.

Don't pay a dime more!!!

Correct, if the worksheet had the measurements then it is the shops fault for not doing the required work. I would hold their feet to the fire on this.

Call them up, explain and get them to fix it.

I got off work early today and went to drop off the driveshafts. The master machinist was there and I talked to him briefly. he said he was really sorry but he was never given the work sheet and was only told to rebuild the driveshafts.
Note: the lady at the front counter specifically told me that the only expert was the master machinist and he was out due to being sick. But would try to relay the message best as possible to him when he returned.

He was very apologetic and came out grabbed them and took them inside the shop and said he would get them done first thing Monday morning.

I am really hoping, and I'm pretty sure it was, just a communication issue between the front desk and the machinist.
The shop is STONE TRUCK PARTS In Garner.

I will post up pics and more details on the actual work on the shafts after I pick them up.

Post office! UGH!

Ordered switches on Monday, the seller sent an email stating they would be delivered on Friday. On Thursday I receive an email notice they had been delivered. Nothing in the mail box. Didn't see the carrier come back down the other side of the street so I wrote it off until Friday when I could see the carrier and ask him where the envelop was. Friday morning my security cameras picked up someone on my front porch, neighbors wife. She delivered the envelop, the carrier simply couldn't tell the difference in our street numbers. It was delivered on Friday as promised but not by the postal carrier. No big thing, just wonder why he can't tell the difference in the numbers.

Ive made a mistake before ...

At least neighbor was adding to your porch and not removing.

Our USPS lady has destroyed our grass near the road - just runs over it. She has ran over our planting BEHIND the mail box, some how. She has also ran into our neighbors retaining wall - -and it was pretty tall and solid - and knocked it over.

:\

I've had a terrible USPS experience as well...and y'all are NOT going to believe this:

A year or so ago we stopped getting mail for a while. Most of what we normally got was junk anyway so we didn't think much about it. Time passed and I was expecting a car title and my wife was waiting on lab results from a doctor's visit and nothing had come so we began to wonder... I called DMV and she called her doctor. Both said they had sent the items to us weeks before. We waited a while longer until one day my wife put a letter in the box to send out and put up the flag for pick-up. Now, my wife works from home and has a desk right by our front window. She was deliberately looking out for the mail carrier noticed that he passed right by our box and spent a long time parked at a vacant house next door. He sat for a while and then sped out of the neighborhood without even picking up our outgoing mail! When I got home from work, she told me the story and I decided to investigate. As it turns out, the POS carrier had been stuffing mail into the mailbox at the vacant house next door! Not just our mail, mind you...the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD'S MAIL! The mailbox is a big brick one and has two of those giant sized metal mailboxes bricked into it. I found three weeks of mail for thirteen different neighbors stuffed in the two boxes as well as the bricked-in paper box down at the bottom! My title was in there. My wife's lab results too. I hand delivered every piece of mail to the proper addresses and pleaded with each neighbor to file a complaint with the local Postmaster. They did. The Postmaster never took a single one of our calls, nor would she allow a meeting with any of us. She would not speak to anyone and she had her underlings to cover for her as well. She ducked the whole neighborhood! I even tried to drop in for a surprise meeting but her people would not allow it. I complained to Raleigh but I don't think it did much good.

I ended up drilling and riveting the boxes shut next door to prevent the douchebag carrier from stuffing our mail in there. We continued to get s***ty service for several weeks. Our mail would go to the neighbors and vice-versa. One day I came home and there were piles of mail strewn all over the street in the neighborhood. I saw the mail truck turn out of the neighborhood as I pulled in so I ran the guy down and got in his face about what a s***ty job he was doing and how he needed to straighten his ass up. I don't think he spoke English at all. He wouldn't look at me. He just stared at the dashboard and nodded. About a month later, we got a new carrier and it has been okay ever since. I often wonder what happened to the dip**** mail carrier. I'd wager that he got promoted...probably to Postmaster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom