Torque for banjo bolt, Monte Carlo calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Installing rear discs on my pickup using Monte Carlo calipers and GM rotors, doing the final bleed. Does anybody know the torque for the banjo bolt where it attaches the brake line to the caliper? I have them at almost 40 ft-lbs and one is still leaking. Can't get it to stop leaking when I do the final pressure test.

Are you using copper washers? <Edit: On BOTH sides of the bolt>If yes, then is the banjo bolt too long? Also, the hose has to be oriented a certain way, or the fitting gets cocked and wont lie flat when tightened down.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the copper washers on both sides of the fitting. Fitting only goes one way on these.

You need new copper washers and a lot less torque. That should be in inch/pounds not feet

Everything is brand new, caliper, bolt, hose, and washers, even pads and rotors. They all came from NAPA, the bolt is the one he told me it should take. I did find a couple of webpages that describe how to swap calipers on this era GM cars, and one even spec'd 40 ft-lbs for the banjo bolt (not in-lbs). It just seems high to me for that ~3/8" diameter bolt.

I've been thinking, perhaps it is bottoming out, that's a good idea. I'm gonna pull it off tonight and take a look. Thanks!

Yep, for OEM GM stuff, the specs are in the 40 ft-lb range. Some aftermarket stuff I saw called for 14 ft-lbs. Much lower, but still far above the in-lb ranges.
Take a good look at the sealing surfaces around the caliper hole and the banjo bolt, check out the washers you already used...any irregular steps or blemishes?

it happens to me last time I was dealing with my eldo calipers .. IIRC torque was 28 ft-lbs .. but I can tell you, if you much more than that you will shear it.

To the leak thing, it happen to me the banjo connector was hitting part of the caliper surface, it was like all the caliper surface wasn't even where the banjo connector has to seat and seal .. and was just tinny enough to make it leak ..

pay attention on how it seats on the caliper also the bolt length ..

I had the same problem when installing the monte carlo calipers on my 40 and it ended up one of the banjo bolts was too long. 2 boxes, same part number, but one was longer. Do both sides leak? If not, pull both sides and compare (it messy, but its the quickest way of finding out).

It seems to have stopped. I need to do some testing and dialing in of the manual prop valve, and I'll take a look again. If I see any drips I'll pull it apart and take a look. Ya kinda messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom