Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not a problem, the profiling that is. A Mission Hillbilly. Is it worth buying a parts kit from CDAN, or do I do as well on my own with the TAC discount at Molle? Won't end up with unneeded parts.

Really no need to purchase Toyota bearings. THey buy them from the same place as others. Redoing an 80 front takes Time and cleaning. Patience if your teaching someone. Places like Marlin and Kurt have pre packaged kits with the knuckle bearings, gaskets, seals etc in a simple to use box. YOu can do wheelbearings as well if needed. Without knowing maint history on the truck i'd imaging with 300k might be worth doing.

Going to need to service birfs and inner seals. Serviced rotors seals and bearings two weeks back. Talked with CDAN about vibration, had me check drive shaft for in/out of phase. Adjusted rear DS quarter turn to in phase and vibration is all but gone

New... again...

Hello,

Kind of a new member here. I used to be a member here a few years ago, mostly a lurker... occasional contributor, but I cannot remember my old user name. I though I would make things simple this time and just use my first name, if I forget that, I'm in trouble.

Anyways, a little about me. I am a Prairie Village native and still own a house there, but about a year ago, my wife convinced me to quit my job, buy a trailer and travel the country with our kids for a year. Here is the blog, if you're interested: www.tinfoilhouse.com The blog is quite a few months behind, but we are slowly catching up. We are currently in Florida and on our final stretch home.

The other day, I found a pretty clean 85 FJ60 down here in Florida at a reasonable price, and since we would soon be in the market for one as soon as we returned home, we went ahead and bought it. It is a two owner 145K wagon with very little rust. There is one small spot on the right rear quarter just behind the tire. The fella I just bought it from only put 12K miles on it during the nine years he owned it, and seemed to feed it parts regularly, so it seems like it's in pretty good shape and runs strong. It seems pretty stock, other than a new radio, and a shackle and add a leaf lift (and some shocks that could double as tree stumps), oh and hte 33x12.5's. My wife and I have already removed the 25 year old purple tint and painted up the weirdo rear view mirrors that someone screwed into perfectly good doors. :censor:

This Land Cruiser will be our daily driver, family hauler and occasional tow vehicle. No not the Airstream... we will be selling that and our Dodge Ram 2500 diesel (if you're interested, PM me). We have restored a 1976 Boler that we usually use for our camping trips.

First mods on the list are rear seat shoulder belts (fortunately we have threaded holes for easy installation), tie rod ends, an alignment, vacuum hose replacement, a general tune up, oh and paint. I'll probably do the prep work, but our goal is to get it painted quickly, as we are rapidly approaching the season of salt back in KC. Anyone know a good paint shop? On to the pics...
FJ60_front.jpg

FJ60_Rear.jpg

And the Boler:
Boler.jpg

-Sam

Hey guys, new here. My name is Ryan, I live in Louisburg, KS, Which is about 12 miles south of Overland Park. I was born in Shawnee though. I got into wheeling when I was 16, when my cousin's husband took me with him down to Disney in his CJ7, I started wheeling my 94 Explorer when we got back from that trip (first car). Ended up with a 4.5" and 32's, and I failed horribly when I tried my first Solid Axle Swap. Sold it, and bought my first mustang. 87 GT. Was out of the game for about 5 years, but never completely out. During that time I helped my buddy and his little brother build three toyotas between the two of them. I was hooked at how strong they are and how well they wheel. When KCIR shut down, my then 92 Mustang was pretty much useless, so I parked it for a while and got a smokin deal on a 92 4Runner. a Solid Axle Swap, gears, locker, doubler and 37's later, I'm BACK!! my biggest hang up now is all my buddies have got out of wheelin so I don't know anybdoy to wheel with anymore. Hoping I can meet some new people. I'm only about 50 minutes from Ks Rocks so I try and go alot. Anyway..... Hello!! :clap:

--Ryan

Welcome Ryan. If you have time, post up some pictures of your rig, and put on your calendar to join us at SMORR later this year.

Welcome Ryan. If you have time, post up some pictures of your rig, and put on your calendar to join us at SMORR later this year.

Here's some pictures....
11866_10100305188926565_43261884_n.jpg

1185792_10100164762217815_410431377_n.jpg

Always thought this was a cool picture....
486727_10100109056113295_1983858000_n.jpg

Whats the date y'all are goin to SMORR?? I just ordered 200' of tubing to build an exo and front bumper, so I won't be doing much wheeling again until its done, but I'll try and make it depending on the date.

--Ryan

Thanks. I have WAY too much time into it. haha. Are you trying to keep SMORR Toyota only? I have a couple J**p buddies who may be interested and possibly some SXS's.... if not, I get it.

--Ryan

Open to friends with other makes and models. We do reserve the right to heckle if they are drug back to camp (happened before), of course we also are amazed when we see any awesome rig.

The key thing we are promoting is family friendly, we want to be surrounded by good people, and don't really care what they drive.

Open to friends with other makes and models. We do reserve the right to heckle if they are drug back to camp (happened before), of course we also are amazed when we see any awesome rig.

The key thing we are promoting is family friendly, we want to be surrounded by good people, and don't really care what they drive.

10-4. I'll keep that in mind. haha

Hi all- I'm an OP resident Fairly new cruiser owner - as well as a former FJ40 owner from days long past...
and looking to get my '91 FJ80 back in running order. Affectionately called the "Land-loser" and "the Monster" by my kids.
I've had my cruiser off and on CL two times --like a good, longtime girlfriend -- I love the cruiser, I'm just not that "into her anymore." Wanted to convert /add a hydrogen generator (aka brown's gas, HHO, etc), LED lights, and make it a weekend /camping rig. I'm not too eager to sell as I'm leaving the sale all up to fate - while trying to make a good running cruiser. It's the lovely maroon one with black front wheels and silver rear ones. :)
I'm looking for RTH(real time help) today or this WEEK - Last week, accidentally (dumb move) pulled the MAF connector out. Wouldn't restart- naturally, so I took it apart, resoldered and - voila! it was running again. But I only moved it out of my driveway and didn't run it any distance. The next drive out, it died as I was pulling into work. Sitting in a parking lot now at my office.

Ongoing: Look for my previous posts in the 80 forum. And the reason I was messing with the MAF (Mass air meter, semantics) Same problem persisting... "an old chevy sounding" engine. CEL codes (21) and (28) both say O2 sensor.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group, not sure what "RTH" is? there are several 80/450 owners in the club, I just recently got a 450 myself and have started working on the p0401 issue.

Hi guys, I'm more or less saying hello. I'm down in Bentonville, AR, but get up to Rush Springs Ranch and wheel there pretty often. I'm interested in linking up with some of you guys when possible. Where are some of your frequent outings to?

Welcome, We frequent SMOOR, Disney, Tuttle creek and Kansas rocks. I had never heard of Rush Springs so I looked it up looks like a nice park, we will have to plan a trip down there.

Hello everyone. New guy here. Bought my first Toyota shorty after Christmas. 1994 Land cruiser, non locked with 218k. Cloth interior and a sunroof. (another first). I`m in the Manhattan area and have wheeled tuttle many times in previous rigs. Park wheeling is fine but am now looking more into the Overlanding world as I love to travel. I grew up in the Wichita area but am originally from Northern Minnesota.

IMG_20141220_203129_zps5qpakend.jpg

Hello everyone. New guy here. Bought my first Toyota shorty after Christmas. 1994 Land cruiser, non locked with 218k. Cloth interior and a sunroof. (another first). I`m in the Manhattan area and have wheeled tuttle many times in previous rigs. Park wheeling is fine but am now looking more into the Overlanding world as I love to travel. I grew up in the Wichita area but am originally from Northern Minnesota.

Welcome

Welcome to the family! Very clean looking rig! Hanging out with this bunch though...prepare to open up your wallet!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom