Torch help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Over the summer a I would like to do some work on my 79 4x4 short bed. I got the welder for x-mas, Miller 135. Given the fact the the ENTIRE truck is one major rust bucket, I know that most if not all the bolts will break or not come free. So I would like to look into getting a torch to "melt" bolts and such off the truck. So what do you suggest I get? What must I spend? Any brands to look for? Anyone?

Thanks,
Zack

go down to home depot, they got some basic stuff. should work, just fine, get your tanks from a local welding shop.

generally you shouldnt need to melt the bolts off...just heat them up good and hot then try a normal socket or impact wrench and they should come loose, if you dont want to spend much money and wont need to do any cutting you can get the little mapp gas torches for pretty cheap i think, its not a actual cutting rig but kinda like one of those little propane torches on steroids...home depot should carry it

Go to your local welding supply store first. Check the expense of the gas bottles---you can either buy, rent, or lease. What size fits your budget also? I think mine are the size S and WS.

Now, check their package deal on a Victor 100 series torch. These are often on sale for about $240. The 100 series is an excellent small torch that is easy to use and will last you through all your future projects.

I had a Crapsman torch ( made by Harris) that did a good job, but was heavy and a little difficult to handle. Sold it and bought a Victor

Good luck shopping. You will find more uses for a torch after you get it; consider a good quality from the start.

I second the recommendation for the Victor torch. IMO, they are the Land Cruisers of the torch world.

Tony

I second the recommendation for the Victor torch. IMO, they are the Land Cruisers of the torch world.

Tony

i believe the also have a lifetime warranty...buy the right quality once and you'll be happy with it, iv heard some good things about victor torches...if you want to know what torch to buy sign on here and ask: www.weldingweb.com there are a bunch of professional welders on the board and you they can tell you what stands up best day after day...

What is the cost of replacement bottles of gas? Can that small O2 bottle be filled? And what is cost? You are going to spend a LOT of time on the road to buy more cylinders; time you can be working on project.
Those small (tiny) bottles last minutes only.

Do those sets have an actual cutting head, or just a heating tip? You will need a cutting head and tip for those stibborn bolts.

victor stuff is ok but personally i wouldnt screw with anything less than Smith gauges and torches. If they ever mess up smith will replace. I have yet to see one screw up they are the best. The plus is they dont cost much more than victor stuff.

I've always had luck shearing rusty bolts with a simple cut off wheel on a dremel, angle grinder or cheap attachment on an electric drill. A torch really seems like overkill for cutting bolts.

What is the cost of replacement bottles of gas? Can that small O2 bottle be filled? And what is cost? You are going to spend a LOT of time on the road to buy more cylinders; time you can be working on project.
Those small (tiny) bottles last minutes only.

Do those sets have an actual cutting head, or just a heating tip? You will need a cutting head and tip for those stibborn bolts.

I have a small portable oxy/acetelyne torch setup. It is great for brazing copper pipes (AC lines and buried copper pipes) and where you need the portability.

I've used the cutting torch head. I think I can cut for about 2-3 minutes max before I run out of gas. It cost $35.00 to fill both bottles.

If you plan on doing lots of cutting, get the big bottles. It will pay for itself very fast.

When you get you cylinders filled, you're generally paying for the labor to fill it.
80 CF C25 (75% agrgon, 25% CO2 mix) will cost me something like $35.00 to fill at my local welding shop. A 150 CF tank will cost $45.00 to fill.

Victor

VICTOR

VICTOR

VICTOR

VICTOR

VICTOR

Well worth the money.

JR

victor is the way to go.
they make ''entry'' level kits that includes everything but the bottles.
you can cheapout now, and then spend more money later to upgrade when you figure out how handy an ocy/ace outfit is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom