Tools R Us is a BAD DUDE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan said:
Where did you get a 180 for a 1FZ? The OEM is 190 and the TRD is 160.

I don't remember where off hand. I still have the box w/the part # and brand at the house but I know you can get 170* and 180* thermostats at NAPA.
Stant, Gates, and Beck/Arnley make them.

When I get home tonight I will grab the box and post it.

Dan, how much clearance is there between the back of the fan and the pulleys? Is the fan still set deep into the shroud?

Last edited:
Tools R Us said:
Dan, how much clearance is there between the back of the fan and the pulleys? Is the fan still set deep into the shroud?

Most of the blade depth is inside the shroud. There is about 5/16 of an inch clearance between the back of the blades and the tensioner pulley and there is about 1 and 3/4 of an inch of space between the blade ends and the shroud opening.

D-

Fans that run in shrouds are most efficient when the blade ends are centered to the shroud opening, if set too deep they loose some flow. If this setup works I would cut some off the spacer, 1/4 inch maybe? The blades only flex forward, so it can be very close to the pulleys.

Could you define "centered" in a bit more detail please? I would say that about 1/3 of the blade is visible "behind" the trailing edge of the shroud. If I move the blade back towards the engine I will not be able to pivot the tensioner to load the blower belt.

So Dan, If I read this correctly all I would have to do is order the 16361-65020 and swap it for the ring fan that came with the supercharger kit?
Thanks,
Sean

MTNRAT said:
So Dan, If I read this correctly all I would have to do is order the 16361-65020 and swap it for the ring fan that came with the supercharger kit?
Thanks,
Sean

That and trim the shroud as shown in post #87

D-

Sounds simple.
Thanks

Ok
Danny boy
Whats the #s on the temp now with the new fan compared to the old ringed one ? You have had this setup for almost a few days now ;p . We want hard facts :flipoff2:

cruiserdan said:
Could you define "centered" in a bit more detail please? I would say that about 1/3 of the blade is visible "behind" the trailing edge of the shroud. If I move the blade back towards the engine I will not be able to pivot the tensioner to load the blower belt.

If the blade is laying face down on the bench, measure the height of the blade, half of that is the center of the blade. That mark needs to be centered in the parallel section of the fan hole in the shroud. The closer that you can get it to centered the better it will work, but if there isn't room to move it, there isn't anything you can do anyway?

When trimming the shroud also look at sealing it to the radiator and the radiator to the core support as well as possible, high density foam weather stripping from the home center works well.

cooling results with new fan?

C-Dan Has the new fan helped your cooling, now that you have had it on there for a while? Has it helped with the high speed cooling...60mpg plus? We need a conclusion here, you got us all amped up about a possible fix and left us hanging??? Thanks for all you research and input:)

I installed it Sunday and went out on one un-loaded test and have been commuting to work this week. I intend to perform a loaded test this weekend. My inital impression is that the cooling is improved but the loaded test will tell the true tale. I will hook up the boat and toss about 450 lbs of ballast in the cargo area (a few cans of M2 ball sould do the trick :D )

D-

Dan have you tried the rising temperature ideal test w/AC on, w/o the electric fan, in the sun, at the hottest part of the day and sitting in the truck listening to Glen Campbell’s - By The Time I Get To Phoenix? :D

"Try a Little Kindness" actually..........;)

C-Dan, how's the new fan been working out?

Yeah, I'm interested as well. My truck "started getting hot" this summer on a 105F day, in traffic with ac on. The ac did not cut out, and fortunately I was getting on the interstate, which cooled it back down to the idiot proof normal range on the factory gauge.

I'm running factory tstat, have a fan clutch that is coming up on 3 years, and had the the radiator "rodded" ?? out then as well. I plan on doing a flush again before winter hits, and was thinking about installing the different fan and a new fan clutch. I havent had the balls to do the "finger" test. :)

Worth the time and money? Think it will help keep a SC'd engine cooler?

thanks,
randall

Last edited:
Kazmanff said:
C-Dan, how's the new fan been working out?

The 16361-65020 is an improvement over the ringed fan. I would do it again. I would have prefered to figure out a way to use the stock fan but that is not possible without trimming the blade and I do not want to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom