Tools for birff job (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rotors on the rear are 15 minutes a side. Just be damn sure to rotate that little socket thru that blasted little hole to back off the e-brake BEFORE trying to yank off the rear rotor - if disc brakes.

Rear rotors are a walk in the park compared to the fronts!!!

Damn, the pre-load!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It got too dark for me to keep tinkering with the pre-load. But I get it set then when I put the lock washer on and the second nut torqued to 47 ft lbs. it takes the pre-load up to like 15 or 16 on the fish scale. I will dial it in tomorrow after work and then get going on the rear brake rotors and brake flush.

*EDIT*
I have gotten some help.
So now an update as to why I am in the debacle of tomorrows ninth day on jacks.
So Thursday I got back to working on the truck after getting the knuckle housing fixed and getting new parts. Thursday evening my brother-in-law and I get the axle back together but have trouble with the pre-load.
Friday after work I get the pre-load settled close enough to test it out for a hundred miles. I have family come into town so I do the dinner thing with them and visit until midnight.
Today, I get going around 8:30 and I can't find two washers for the caliper bolts. I sent the messed up bolts with the knuckle housing and the bolts never returned and the washers were on them. :doh: So I figure I can just cruise over to NAPA and get some, wrong! I head over to Toyota Mission Gorge and they don't have any but think that they have one for a 6 cyl head that will work. It's pretty damn close and close enough for me but they only have 1 and of course I need 2! :rolleyes: I head over to Bob Baker Toyota and they have a one close but chromed not flat black. So I take it just to get the calipers on and ordered two of the correct washer to arrive this week.
So now I am finally back home almost 2hrs later and while packing up the paper work on the front axle this hi-lighted section of the page jumps out at me! "A common mistake by mechanics is to not liberally grease the end of the spindle into the grooves." Guess what IDIOT -1 :banana: didn't do that very thing! SO I had to take the whole thing apart again all the way to removing the spindle, opening up the knuckle cavity to coat the damn spindle!!! So by the time I got back to the brakes, I got the old pads out of the front it was time to meet the family again for dinner!
So now tomorrow after breakfast with the family and they hit the road I have a buddy Aaron coming over to help me bleed, pad the fronts and pad & rotor the rears....

DID I MENTION IH8WRENCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John at SD Trux is going to get to know my Credit Card in the future!

Last edited:
Yikes Mark. Don't feel bad, you will get it done much faster next time. Do you have the Front Nuckle Rebuild DVD going around the mud forum? like you need this after the fact:D

FWIW I had some mishaps doing this PM as well. The first time a buddy and I did it, one inner oil seal was not put it correctly, so yes, Months later I had to get back in to the driver's side knuckle to fix this...(It took a while to gather the courage to go back and do this again.) The second time doing it by myself I stripped the caliper bolt :doh: had to fix this problem by getting a used pumpkin, guess what? I had to revisit the axle yet another time as a result since I couldn't leave the truck on stands, as it was my daily driver at that time. Yes used to break more things than I fixed, but I think I learned from my mistakes and am getting better at this.

Wow! I thank my luck stars Boyd was such a great and PATIENT instructor!!!

Oh Mark, how frustrating.

Thought I'd check in before heading off to make dinner and ....whoa.
If you're still battling with it after this evening call me in the morning and we'll work out getting you back on the road. :)

Not to rub salt in the wound(s) but the knuckle showed up with two bolts and one washer. Darrell made sure it was returned but did comment, "I hope he's got the other one"

Thank you for the gift card, class act. I wish you and Maria :princess: all the best. She seems really nice. Don't screw it up :D

John

Well, you are right the washer was returned. I had a good start to Sunday when we were walking out to the car and in the gutter I see a washer. I turned to the right and there was the other washer...

Got the front pads in and the rear rotors & pads in yesterday. Cleaned up and then around 7:30 thinking I was FINALLY DONE, I went to bed in the brakes. That went good, then I stopped at the market 2 blocks from the house and didn't even apply the parking brake since the rotors were hot and the ground was level. Start heading home and as I left the parking lot I get a horrendous metal on metal sound. Woke-up all the cats in the neighborhood those 2 blocks home and the :princess: runs out knowing it was ME..... I thought it was the PS front but she says it's the PS rear. Pull the wheel, no markings on the rotors, pads look good and there is a space between rotor and pad. So I think it has something to do with the Parking break because removing those things we popped the pins out of those spring things.

I SWEAR IF I WOULD HAVE READ ON HERE THAT THE REAR BRAKE ROTORS WERE A 15 MIN JOB ONE MORE TIME I WAS GOING TO BODY SLAM MY LAPTOP!
My buddy and I spent 2 hrs on the rear brakes, and now when I get home I get to play with it some more..... AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Sounds like you didn't back off the e-brakes before removing the rear rotor. I did that too before being told about the little sprocket accessible in that tiny hole in the rotor. Must position that hole at 6 o'clock to access the sprocket. Small screw driver to turn it and back off the e-brake pads inside the rotor BEFORE removing the rotor. Install the new rotor, align the hole and turn the sprocket a couple of turns to reposition the e-brake pads.

I didn't find any of that info on this board or in the FSM. I found bits and pieces but yours right their is the first full description I have gotten.

I had the e-brake off before removing but couldn't find the damn sproket through the hole. The little pins shot off of the little springs and plate. We tried to repair the little tabs that hold the pins with a hammer. But I am suspecting I need to adjust that sprocket. I assume that is my problem.

I didn't find any of that info on this board or in the FSM. I found bits and pieces but yours right their is the first full description I have gotten.

I had the e-brake off before removing but couldn't find the damn sprocket through the hole. The little pins shot off of the little springs and plate. We tried to repair the little tabs that hold the pins with a hammer. But I am suspecting I need to adjust that sprocket. I assume that is my problem.

Not to kick a man down, but see my post #102. I had the FSM and did what you've done anyway - shame on me! :doh: Description in the FSM is not very good and didn't make sense until AFTER I'd done things that the FSM covered before it made any sense at all.

That little sprocket is impossible to see and almost as hard to 'feel' thru that little hole. After I had all the little pins and springs pop off also, I called a buddy who's a Lexus master mechanic for 911 help. He showed me the right way and basically explained that the sprocket had to be found with a small flat head screwdriver and 'feel'. We took some needle nose pliers and bent the pins back into reasonable shape and I ordered a new set from Cdan which I used as replacements the next time I did the rear pads.

You needed to have found the sprocket and turned it with the screwdriver to loosen the e-brake enough to pull the rotor off easily. Once you put the new rotor on you tighten the sprocket all the way an then 'back it off' a couple of turns.

I can copy the pages of the FSM and email them to you, but it sounds like you're past the point of that offer. Let me know Mark.

I feel for you bro! :cheers:

I totally missed that posst. :doh: And yes the FSM does tell you to rotate the sprocket but it doesn't tell you how to find the bastard. Yeah I will order new pins and spring plates when I go to the dealer to pick up the caliper washer I no longer need.

Well it was the sprocket on the e-brake. I tried to dial the sprocket down on the problem wheel but I couldn't so I had to pop the pin again and fortunately the 60 mm bolts I bought to push the hub off were just long enough. I currently have the e-brake too loose, I need to dial it a little higher but I just wanted to make sure I had no problems so I figured for now better loose than the horrible metal on metal sound.
I also got to test out the front axle after a second short brake bedding for good measure. Found a patch of dirt by the softball fields and threw her into 4 LO and then tried her with the CDL. It all worked so I didn't completely screw up. :D
I drove the surface streets today with the radio off listening, not sure if I hear a little hum from the front or if it's just my MT's. I will test her out on the Freeway on the way home for a short 8 mile burst. But she did good this morning and I will re-check pre-load in a hundred miles or so.

Last edited:
Oh wow Mark! I'm late to the 'party' but, man, you've had it rough. I've had projects like this. They just don't want to end.

I would have gladly given you a hand if I was in SD.

One day you'll look back on this and say "Damn, that sure sucked, BUT I LEARNED A LOT!"

Bluetribal said:
...And last but not least, a teaser of the SD Trux custom machined OEM rotors...
P1010241.JPG
Wait, what is this?!?

Me likey!

BTW. I still need to do a birf and front brake job on my rig.

Mark, I hope you did not skip step #6 :beer::beer::beer:

Congratulations on finishing and give yourself a big pat on the shoulder you are an official birf building "Knuckle Head".:clap:

Thanks guys yeah the 5 straight days of wrenching 7 total are taking their toll and I am in recovery mode now :beer:. But you guys are right, I did learn quite a bit and I am trying not to knee-jerk to any feelings. A few things I learned about this site is that it can give you ignorant confidence, you will look stupid, their are stupid questions but you have to ask them, and last but not least no picture will do it justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom