Tools for birff job (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait, what is this?!?

Me likey!

You are going to have to call up John at SD Trux to get your dirty little hands on those! (858) 530-8789

Now you know why I didn't want to screw-up my brake job.

BTW. I still need to do a birf and front brake job on my rig.

I would wait until it cools down, I have some OEM inner seal sitting in a baggy if you are interested and I am busy that weekend! :flipoff2:

You are going to have to call up John at SD Trux to get your dirty little hands on those! (858) 530-8789

Now you know why I didn't want to screw-up my brake job.

I would wait until it cools down, I have some OEM inner seal sitting in a baggy if you are interested and I am busy that weekend! :flipoff2:
My thermometer read 111° today, so I'll wait till it gets below 100° :lol:

Thems some purdy rotors. It looks like quality machine work. Was this a cheaper route rather than buying some DBA's?

Probably pretty close to the DBA price if you came and picked them up and saved on shipping. I am not sure if I got John's final price because I think I am one of the first to purchase these, so I will leave it to John to quote prices.
I would allow 2 weeks for all four to get machined, he doesn't have them stocked. They are made to order.

OK, so it's been a month since this birff job and I took it up to OC to meet you guys for the picnic after John had put it up on the lift and found that the Passenger Side tire was loose. So He went in and tightened the hub nuts and then replaced the parking brake pins in the rear that I had popped trying to get the rear rotors off.
So this past Thursday I wanted to check things out some more and make sure the Drivers Side wasn't coming loose like the passenger side. Plus I have a little humming noise at 30 mph. so I wanted to put a zip tie in the knuckle filler plug to make sure I had enough Molly in their. So I lifter her up and the DS had about 1/4" of wobble when pulling at 12 & 6. So I decided to tear into it and tighten the hub nuts since I was taking it up to Chino Hills this past weekend. With a good suggestion from Steve (619 Toy) to tighten the nut one more tab to lock the washer down and then mount the wheel and test it I had the job done. So I took the wheel back off and was putting the outer plate back on when I couldn't remember the torque speck for these nuts. Instead of cleaning up the hands and checking I went off of memory thinking 43 lbs. As I torque it I am thinking this is too much and then snap. Busted the stud. So that's when I dialed it back down to 34 and put the rest of the nuts on.
So now no more wobble and the molly grease was plentiful in the knuckle so the only thing I can think of for this humming noise at 30 mph that I can actually feel on the DS foot plate is that I didn't grease the spindle enough, the grease I used in the hub is not good enough, or the caliper pistons are not backing off enough. I do still need to do a brake fluid flush and the bearing grease I used was High Performance NAPA brand maybe I should have used the red stuff?

Could it just be the leftover grease in the 3rd when the seals broke? I have the same issue and haven't torn back into it. Since it's not leaking I've sort of just left it. But I do plan to re-gear later this year so I'll take look at it then.

Wouldn't you have soup on the knuckle too Mark? My :banana: thoughts agree with teejnut.

I'd invest $15 in three more quarts of diff oil and check again in a couple of months before you tear back into the knuckles again. That's a whole lot easier and quicker!

Reminds me that I need to do that to clean out all the goo from water down my breather tube. It was a syrupy mess.

It seemed kinda goopy to just be left over but I hope so. After the trip with Steve this is the first time I noticed a little grease pushed out past the felt so I gave it a wipe and I will see how soon it comes back. Last month when I re-tightened my hub nuts I looked inside the filler plug and poked a zip tie in and all seemed well on the DS.
But my main reason for tearing back into it is for the woo woo sounds at 30 mph. I am thinking it's either cheap grease I used on the inside of the hub or not enough grease inside the spindle plate in those grooves.

An update on this item. I had my truck with John over at SD Trux and he has confirmed that the woo woos are just my tires and that the birffs and hubs are A OK.... I guess I just started paying closer attention to things after tearing the axle apart myself. I will swear that the tires started making that noise that day and not a day sooner! :rolleyes:

And thanks to John and the boys for all the other little things that they took care of as always!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom