Tool List - complete front axle removal 79-85 mini truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Apologize in advance if this is an annoying question. I’ve been all over google and forms, but cannot find a tool list for removing the front axle of an 79-85 Hilux or Mini Toyota Truck - looking to get some parts for mini truck disc brake conversion for my FJ40 - it’s winter here in Canada and I can grab an axle from a pick and pull for about 300 bucks. Because of the cold, I was just going to grab the axle and steering components I need - wondering if anyone has a tool list just to make sure I don’t forget anything. This sounds crazy as I write it - but I’ll be travelling to a city about 300 miles from my home (for work) where the pick and pull is located, plan on bringing my tools and grabbing the axle while I’m out for work.
Anyone have any idea on the requirements aside from the basics?
Thank you for any help you can provide.

Youre pulling the entire diff complete?

If I was doing it I'd bring a cordless angle grinder and cut off wheel for the U bolts and anything else that needs to be cut off thats seized.
Electric 1/2" impact...nice to have... optional.
A 32oz or better ball pien hammer for the tie rods and possibly to beat the shock bolts out, and any other bolt that needs to be beat on.
I'd cut the brake lines, otherwise a 10mm flare nut wrench, but there is a good chance the tube nut is going to round off with the wrench in your hand
2 14mm wrenches or 1 14mm and 1 9/16" for the driveshaft bolts
Pry bar
Vise grips
Breaker bar
Side cutters
Socket set and wrench set... probably need a 19 or 24mm for something.
Large cresent wrench for anything overlooked in the large wrench or socket department.

Think thats probably all I'd bring and should be enough to get the diff out. Assuming the truck is already supported at the frame rail being its in a wrecking yard.

Youre pulling the entire diff complete?

If I was doing it I'd bring a cordless angle grinder and cut off wheel for the U bolts and anything else that needs to be cut off thats seized.
Electric 1/2" impact...nice to have... optional.
A 32oz or better ball pien hammer for the tie rods and possibly to beat the shock bolts out, and any other bolt that needs to be beat on.
I'd cut the brake lines, otherwise a 10mm flare nut wrench, but there is a good chance the tube nut is going to round off with the wrench in your hand
2 14mm wrenches or 1 14mm and 1 9/16" for the driveshaft bolts
Pry bar
Vise grips
Breaker bar
Side cutters
Socket set and wrench set... probably need a 19 or 24mm for something.
Large cresent wrench for anything overlooked in the large wrench or socket department.

Think thats probably all I'd bring and should be enough to get the diff out. Assuming the truck is already supported at the frame rail being its in a wrecking yard.
Thank you very much for this…
I am going to have to bring breaker bars and cordless sawsall no power in there. Really appreciate the list.

Truck is up on stands. I am going to ask if they can remove for me, but in case they can’t I wanted to have this kind of planned out.

cut off wheel for the u bolts, tie-rod ends, diveshaft, snip the brake line with a wire cutter, that's it. Should take about 15 minutes.

Check ahead of time. Some wrecking yards don't allow torches or grinders. Toyotaboy's list looks good. I always have my electric impact with me, but sometimes it won't access a nut or bolt. I usually have a deadblow mallet with me as well. helps to not smash things quite as much sometimes.

I’d cut the relay rod, brake lines, traction bar, ubolts, and shocks and unspline the driveshaft. Shouldn’t have to touch any bolts.

Ask the wrecker if they will pull it. Sometimes they will for a fee, but it might be easier to pay than to do it yourself 300 miles from home.

Otherwise, toyotaboy provided a pretty good list of tools. If you can’t cut the ubolts make sure you bring a giant breaker bar or a cheater pipe. Those nuts will likely be EXTREMELY corroded/tight.

A giant flathead screwdriver (I actually used a pry bar) to loosen one end of the relay rod and allow removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom