Tool for adjusting drum brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rebuilt my rear drum brakes (1 cyl of 4 was working) got them adjusted and life was good. I rebuilt the one front brake and I can't get a screw driver into adjust the cylinder bacause of steering components. Is there a brake adjustment tool or has one of you experts out there come up with a trick to make this happen? I tried to bend a screw driver to do this but all I did was break a screw driver.

Two ideas.

My regular adjuster (that looks like a bent screwdriver) did not work very well, so I used a stubby flat screwdriver and it worked pretty good. I had to use a little more umph...

On the fronts I know exactly what you are talking about with hitting the steering arm, so I also was able to use a regular 6 inch screwdriver, and instead of using the leverage of swinging it (because it would hit the arm) I would stick it in straight and then push with my fingers in the middle of the screwdriver and use the handle end as the center point.

hope that helps.

Yeah, its a PIA. But, once I did my front disk conversion, I haven't had that problem since. Funny how that works. (hint hint)

:cheers:

Best thing in the world is a stubby straight slot screwdriver. You're welcome.

Two ideas.

My regular adjuster (that looks like a bent screwdriver) did not work very well, so I used a stubby flat screwdriver and it worked pretty good. I had to use a little more umph...

On the fronts I know exactly what you are talking about with hitting the steering arm, so I also was able to use a regular 6 inch screwdriver, and instead of using the leverage of swinging it (because it would hit the arm) I would stick it in straight and then push with my fingers in the middle of the screwdriver and use the handle end as the center point.

hope that helps.

I had to do the same thing for mine, they are aggravating as all get out.......

As for what FF LC FREAK said, dito! I don't have that problem anymore either!

I cut a spoon down :hillbilly: Yes I know but it works great for me
small_DSCN1399.JPG
small_DSCN1400.JPG

Besides a stubby screw driver I found a brake adjusting tool at a local auto parts store that has a bend that allows it to work around the steering linkage. It was too wide for the slots so I ground on it until it fit.

Besides a stubby screw driver I found a brake adjusting tool at a local auto parts store that has a bend that allows it to work around the steering linkage. It was too wide for the slots so I ground on it until it fit.
Howdy! I have found that most of the brake adjusters sold in parts stores are too fat to work very good. I went to BAP and got one for a VW and it works much better. John

2X on getting a auto store tool and grinding it down. ty

Also remember which direction to rachet towards-- to axle loosens, IIRC ty

I had to remove my drums and turn the adjusters so I knew which way. I made a diagram of each wheel showing the direction to turn them. At some time in the past my cylinders were replaced and NOT with the correct orientation... Not TOO confusing, but a pain nonetheless.

Howdy! I have found that most of the brake adjusters sold in parts stores are too fat to work very good. I went to BAP and got one for a VW and it works much better. John

I did the same thing and it worked very well for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom