Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for a 100 series for a while and came across a low mileage (~95k) 2006 LX470. It's from up North (Montana), so I figured there would be some rust. I'm from the Southwest, so I have zero experience with the stuff. Can someone take a look at these photos and let me know?

07wNkRR.jpg
pYOPEhO.jpg
DcrIDCL.jpg

IMO, No. This is normal, given the age and location of the vehicle. How does the body look in regards to rust?

Looks good to me, but I'm from Ohio too.
You could wire brush off the bottom of the frame and POR 15 that seamline it if you want to be certain its good for a long time.

Any rusty bolts often make things a hassle for doing work, but you just gotta get out the drill/grinder, etc. Its not the end of the world.

What rust? I can't see anything.......really.

Just be sure to check along the top of the windshield and all over the rear tailgate and liftgate. Rust can hide there even on a truck that is cleaner than that one. Ask me how I know? :bang:

Not digging the aftermarket rims either. Is there a good source for OEM?

You can get OEM wheels for pretty cheap. Ex: I've got a set of 18" split-5-spoke wheels from an LX for $400 with tires and full-size spare. Shipping would be cost-prohibitive for you but just to give you an idea of what's available. You can also get Tundra wheels that will fit, albeit you may need a spacer for the front.

I'm one of the guys who usually jumps in these "is this too much rust?" threads - yelling "YES!"... but that one looks pretty good.

Regarding the wheels, it might be easier to find a set or O.E. Tundra wheels - steel or aluminum - via Craigslist. There are exponentially more Tundras out there and those guys like to replace their wheels more than the 100 crowd.

That looks basically "rust free" to me.​

I'm one of the guys who usually jumps in these "is this too much rust?" threads - yelling "YES!"... but that one looks pretty good.

Regarding the wheels, it might be easier to find a set or O.E. Tundra wheels - steel or aluminum - via Craigslist. There are exponentially more Tundras out there and those guys like to replace their wheels more than the 100 crowd.

Seems like a no brainer but 2006 LC wheels fit on the LX? I saw this on ebay and used their "will this fit my vehicle" form and it said it wouldn't.

Toyota Land Cruiser 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 18" Factory OEM Wheel Rim | eBay

That's pretty funny. I tried them for a 2006 Land Cruiser. Their 2006 Land Cruiser wheels won't fit a 2006 Land Cruiser. I think their "will this fit my vehicle" is broken.

I have Tundra wheels on my '06. There is a TON of info here on that topic - what fits, what years etc. Search and brace yourself for the avalanche.

Seems like a no brainer but 2006 LC wheels fit on the LX? I saw this on ebay and used their "will this fit my vehicle" form and it said it wouldn't.

Toyota Land Cruiser 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 18" Factory OEM Wheel Rim | eBay

That's pretty funny. I tried them for a 2006 Land Cruiser. Their 2006 Land Cruiser wheels won't fit a 2006 Land Cruiser. I think their "will this fit my vehicle" is broken.

I have Tundra wheels on my '06. There is a TON of info here on that topic - what fits, what years etc. Search and brace yourself for the avalanche.

haha thanks. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Doesn't look bad at all, but I live in New England where trying to keep rust at bay is a way of life. The gas tank cover is thin metal and usually the first to go along with the front undertray. This one looks fine. At least where you live, it won't get any worse. I wouldn't even bother spending the effort wire brushing and POR15.

Shady dealers always post wet pictures to hide all the scratches. Ticks me off. Just expect lots of clearcoat scratches. The underside looks ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom