Todays wrenching (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I picked up a spare 2F and it fell apart. :hillbilly:
Engine 1.jpg
Engine 2.JPG

Nice Jay!

Need to re-do fuel lines and replace the clutch before the FG. Not sure the truck will make it to Fox's for sliders before the FG so might be doing stocker trails. Will likely do the clutch the Saturday after this one

very cool Jason what are your plans for the 2f?

very cool Jason what are your plans for the 2f?

Thanks. I just want to go though it to know I have a fresh motor. That and I have never done it before and figured you can't learn if you don't do it. Right? Hoping to get by with gaskets, bearings and rigs. Maybe a cam.

I just want it to be reliable. I am fine staying in the slow lane.

I fired up my 73 FJ40 tonight around 9:30 after many months of it sitting pulled apart in the garage. I added a new battery, cleaned a couple connections, replaced a ground cable and the rig fired right up; the carb and or linkage needs some adjusting, otherwise it runs fine.

Thanks. I just want to go though it to know I have a fresh motor. That and I have never done it before and figured you can't learn if you don't do it. Right? Hoping to get by with gaskets, bearings and rigs. Maybe a cam.

I just want it to be reliable. I am fine staying in the slow lane.

me and Nat went through his 1FZ-FE and everything was within manufacturers new specs. Pretty amazing for an engine with 260k on it.

me and Nat went through his 1FZ-FE and everything was within manufacturers new specs. Pretty amazing for an engine with 260k on it.

I was told that this engine had like 160k on it but the compression was low, around 105 in most cylinders.

So far everything looks good. I need to get some tools (a micrometer, dial indicator) to check tolerances.

The lifters have some pitting and after reading the Big Gay 2F rebuild it seems like they can't be resurfaced with any pitting?

I'm probably going to have a bunch of questions.

the tools you need is plastigauge and a good set of feeler gauges. Nothing that elaborate.

The feeler gauges I got. I assume that you can purchase plastigauge an any auto parts store.

When reading thought the FSM they have tolerances for everything. I was unsure of what I NEED to check and what I can skip.

Not that I know jack about this....but I would check every tolerance you can find. you're not in a rush and you won't likely reassemble it and install it till the Spring. Take your time and do it once

You may have to go through Summit or Jeg's for Plasti-gauge. I don't think any of the parts stores carry it on the shelf.

If the cylinders are fine, just get some new rings. If you take off the main caps or the connecting rods and everything looks good, just put it back together. I'd be willing to bet everything is fine. You'll save a lot of time and money if you just get some new valve seals and get the head checked. Maybe just get the valves shot.

The feeler gauges I got. I assume that you can purchase plastigauge an any auto parts store.

When reading thought the FSM they have tolerances for everything. I was unsure of what I NEED to check and what I can skip.

you can get plastigauge at Napa. It comes in different colors for different ranges. The 96 manual describes using it but for the year of that mill it might not have been even invented, I don't know.

I'll be in Pawtucket Tuesday night and can bring some along and explain how it is used.

Just installed new speakers and very gently pushed the screwdriver through the last one. Fun

Still workin' on the steering...

:lol: This is starting to get old,but I think I just might have it....:clap:
So after all of the other steering upgrades,I go out for a test drive and throttle it down a straight road and WHAMO :bang: I blow a low pressure side hose.:hmm:
After all of the clean up and I re-route all the lines....:idea: Lets do it again....:flipoff2:
Everything is good untill I hit high RPM's and fluid pukes from the cap....
O.K. so your getting the janitorial picture right?
Please see attached of my latest work...

Sopposedly this is what you need for a high pressure pump..Please feel free 2 add your .02 cents....,but look @ the black wheel borrow leg brace and the aluminum
floor squeegee brace that I used for my bracket.....:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Rick that sucks as you might be finding out Toyota's don't like gm crap in there vicinity:flipoff2:

ok ill play:D
yesterday rick and i finished swapping in some freshly rebuilt axles into the red tide accompanied by HD 1/4 wall dom rear links, HD pan hard adjusters forward and aft, HD sway bar links forward and aft, extended break lines, slee 4" lift, landtank caster plates and some new break fluid and diff fluid:D
just need to rebuild the frount diff cause its got a bad pinion bearing :bang:

also need to get something besides roler scates for this thing to role on:steer:

and a new rear diff acuator this one if f*%ked:hmm::bang::idea::bang::censor:
009_800x600.jpg
010_800x600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom