Todays wrenching (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the ideas and options. I did try Blaster and several other marketed lubricants, but I dont think it would have mattered. Gravity is working against this one and the bottom of the truck is REALLY rusty. The oil pan is held together with POR15, brake lines are leaking etc. So much, that I have been on the edge about fixing or letting this one go. (Rick, I know your opinion already). I knew these bolts were going to kick me hard, but I am also stubborn and will make it work. Just trying to minimize the work.

Tonight,
changed rear main seal,
changed bell housing,
new rear motor mounts, still need to pick up new bolts.
put flywheel back in.
little welding on the transmission cover.
little welding on the frame.
drank beer.

so bought a $130 fuel pump for my 1981 Toyota Cressida Wagon (from texas) and installed it. fired it up, runs great but it was leaking at the pump. i took it in and out probably 20 times trying different washers or cleaning the mating surface of the banjo fitting. thought it might be a manufacturer defect in the pump. i was sorta right. there was a copper washer that had not been centered and it kinda folded up when the pump was assembled. i beat the washer into shape and retried it. it almost sealed and was only misting fuel. grabbed the wrench and gave it a little snug, it snapped right off. i spent like 45 minutes on this #$%@ing thing and now it's broke. i just want to get it into the shop so i can weld the ass end and drive it.

I owned and 84 and 88 Toyota Cressidas....great cars. Sometimes I still search for 92s for sale, the last year.

BTW. I tried a little of everything with the manifold bolts. Sprayed with Blaster for last couple days. Tried the Acetone/ATF. Double nutting didnt work. Bought reverse drill bit/screw extractor....it broke. Hesitant to use a torch with the manifolds still on the block, so start tearing it apart tomorrow.

Ernie
first of all , have fun wheelin today

second, I just had a customer's 62 in the shop with a broken exhaust stud. A different shop had tried to fix by drilling out stud, retapping, using bolt. They did not tap well/drilled too much, never got a seal, returned to owner worse...

I drilled thru flange all the way, installed new stud with a nut on the back/top.
You will have to grind down the nut to the proper shape so it fits at top of exhaust flange. Don't reef too tight, you can strip nut/stud. Slightly butch, very cheap, works everytime. Wear your goggles when drilling please!

Safety Squint!

Finally got a new distributor for the pig. Found an HEI one that has a toyota specific gear on it so I wouldn't have to modify a GM one to fit.

Pulled the old GM dizzy and all the teeth on the gear were gone. Basically the highway driving shredded the worn down teeth since the GM dizzy teeth are standard alignment as opposed to metric.

Turned the motor by hand and had my mechanic look inside the hole and he said everything looked ok.

Gonna pull the plugs tomorrow afternoon, install the new one, and try to figger out the timing since the rotor was just spinning away and the alignment references are gone. Gonna change the oil too for good measure

Never done a distributor. Least I won't likely have to deal with this again for a while

I have two Warn M8000 winches...one is 20 years old and the other is just over a year. Used the old one 5 times just this past weekend and has never let me down. The newer winch in Sheri's FJC started pulling intermittently last FG, until it finally wouldn't pull in at all. Finally troubleshot and found of the solenoids bad. Less than a year old....used three times.....Hecho in Mexico. Picked up new solenoid from NAPA...made in China. Hope this one is more reliable. Putting it all back together tomorrow.

Finally got a new distributor for the pig. Found an HEI one that has a toyota specific gear on it so I wouldn't have to modify a GM one to fit.

Pulled the old GM dizzy and all the teeth on the gear were gone. Basically the highway driving shredded the worn down teeth since the GM dizzy teeth are standard alignment as opposed to metric.

Turned the motor by hand and had my mechanic look inside the hole and he said everything looked ok.

Gonna pull the plugs tomorrow afternoon, install the new one, and try to figger out the timing since the rotor was just spinning away and the alignment references are gone. Gonna change the oil too for good measure

Never done a distributor. Least I won't likely have to deal with this again for a while

distributors are simple, turn to top dead center of cylinder #1 on compression stroke, drop in the dizzy so it 's rotor points at the #1 wire, start the engine and do a final timing with a light.

15 minutes tops.

Put another new fuel pump in the 81 toyota cressida... this one didn't leak. i was so excited i didn't even pick up i just started driving it. i rallied the back road and e-braked in my buddy's driveway then noticed my temp gauge was pegs so i drove back to the shop to find that it had no coolant in it. it took 2 gallons. then it started to run like a bag full of smashed a$$. the cat is plugged up..... seems like i'll never get this thing into the shop to weld the ass end up.

Put another new fuel pump in the 81 toyota cressida... this one didn't leak. i was so excited i didn't even pick up i just started driving it. i rallied the back road and e-braked in my buddy's driveway then noticed my temp gauge was pegs so i drove back to the shop to find that it had no coolant in it. it took 2 gallons. then it started to run like a bag full of smashed a$$. the cat is plugged up..... seems like i'll never get this thing into the shop to weld the ass end up.

the question you have to ask your self is why does this thing even have a cat:hillbilly:

I have two Warn M8000 winches...one is 20 years old and the other is just over a year. Used the old one 5 times just this past weekend and has never let me down. The newer winch in Sheri's FJC started pulling intermittently last FG, until it finally wouldn't pull in at all. Finally troubleshot and found of the solenoids bad. Less than a year old....used three times.....Hecho in Mexico. Picked up new solenoid from NAPA...made in China. Hope this one is more reliable. Putting it all back together tomorrow.

sucks id have to say warns quality has gone down the s***'er the past 3 years or so.
make me mad to think all the money you shell out for theses and they have crappy parts, come on warn people use these to get them out of trouble in some times remote areas, for them to be using parts that are not up to the standards that they should be is damn dangerous :bang:

Never done a distributor. Old one was destroyed. Waited 10 days to get the new one in the mail. Pulled it apart, looked in the engine with the camera for TDC, assembled the new dizzy, changed the oil to avoid any metal pieces floating around, and plugged it in. Truned the key to a dead battery. Find out tomorrow if I did it right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom