Todays wrenching (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well ya! But what fun would that be?

pulled the rear diff out of Mike's 80 that had a bad pinion bearing. Swapped in a rear diff with about 100k on it after installing a solid spacer. Then installed an aussie locker and wrapped everything up.

Nat wasn't so productive.

pulled the rear diff out of Mike's 80 that had a bad pinion bearing. Swapped in a rear diff with about 100k on it after installing a solid spacer. Then installed an aussie locker and wrapped everything up.

Nat wasn't so productive.

DICK:flipoff2: left out the part of you running off to play at the DMV while i was scrapping the gasket from hell off the boys axle:bang: and loading that heavy ass diff in the housing all by my 5'5" lonesome:bang::D

oh btw i was productive enough to break things on my truck and make a 30 minute job into a 6 hour job haha beat that

Starting a major tear-apart tomorrow. Goals: new LC Engineering header, swap in rebuilt R151F w/crawler gears in t-case, fix the winch that's been busted for over a year, maybe even finally swap out that butt-ugly red dash for a gray one.

Starting a major tear-apart tomorrow. Goals: new LC Engineering header, swap in rebuilt R151F w/crawler gears in t-case, fix the winch that's been busted for over a year, maybe even finally swap out that butt-ugly red dash for a gray one.

Ken is this going to be done before FG?

Ken is this going to be done before FG?

Well, that was the plan. Until I just realized the FG is NEXT WEEKEND!!! D'OH!!

My current header has a huge hole rotted thru it, so I have no choice on changing it. And I'd like to use the opportunity of having the exhaust out of the way to do the tranny swap. Could be a long week...

If all else fails you could always wheel the Highlander. :meh:

This bolt has totally shamed me. :(

Bolt Outs couldn't grab it, and all my chiseling and other violence has turned the head into a lumpy mess that just sits there mocking me.

Rick's idea may have worked but my stout, but short, jack stands won't work for that. Might try undoing that short link above the locker to get some more room.

I've hit my hand with the hammer too many times to count, I've been getting rained on for almost 2 straight hours, and now I'm going to relax and watch the Pat's and take a break.

Going to try a little hacksaw later but if that doesn't work them I'll put it all back together and go back to how I started. No loss really, but not the gain I was hoping for either. I don't want to be working on this until the last minute, too many other things I have to do this week to prepare (and insane work weeks for Sara and I to make it even more busy).

Sorry.... just venting.

Happens to all of us.
Relax and watch the game.

This bolt has totally shamed me. :(

Bolt Outs couldn't grab it, and all my chiseling and other violence has turned the head into a lumpy mess that just sits there mocking me.

Going to try a little hacksaw later but if that doesn't work them

Dave I don't know where the bolt is exactly but when I have had a stuck bolt thats rounded off I've had good luck by welding on a nut or another bolt on top of the fubared one. Usually the heat of the weld will help to break it free and you can get a nice new bolt to get the wrench on.

Anyone near you have a welder?

Dave I don't know where the bolt is exactly but when I have had a stuck bolt thats rounded off I've had good luck by welding on a nut or another bolt on top of the fubared one. Usually the heat of the weld will help to break it free and you can get a nice new bolt to get the wrench on.

Anyone near you have a welder?

I do! and some bolts!

Dave, You're going to hurt yourself! Go out and get the proper jack stands for that truck before you go climbing underneath it again! And whatever you do don't take any suspension links off until you have released the spring tension on the axle by supporting the frame and hanging the axle freely.

If you can't bring yourself to buy the proper equipment to work safely on the truck, then do your family a favor and pay someone to do the work for you. And if you do buy the proper equipment and don't know how to use it get someone over there to teach you how to properly anchor and support that truck to safely climb under it.

what I have is:

12 ton jack stands
6 ton jack stands
3 ton jack stands
wheel chocks
floor jack

And yes I have had all these under a single truck at once, so in my opinion they are all needed. When you don't have what you need readily available you will tend to substitute that with something make shift. That's the first step toward really fxxxing up your day!

aaaahHh!, wrote a whole response and lost it. Oh well.

Anyway, I been using ramps, not jackstands. I'm paranoid about jackstands., so no worries there.

And... SUCCESS!!! got it all apart and nearly all back together. Just need to have my lovely assistant help me screw in the cable so I can route it up into the cab and we're golden.

Short of the Pat's game (big win!!) I've spend most of my day laying on my back in the wet and repeatedly cracking my head ugains the underside of the truck. I'm beat.

Thanks everyone for your tips, ideas and encouragement!!!

Ramps? LOL brings back memories. When I first got my truck I used my fathers car ramps. They collapsed under the weight of my 80. Do they make 3 ton ramps?

I use these: Welcome to RhinoRamps®

I remember the pressed metal ones my Dad used to have. I didn't trust them. When I found these (years ago) it gave me a lot more piece of mind.

I hate how they rate them. 8000 lbs GVW. But since you are only supporting half the vehicle then they are only rated for 4000 lbs.

I can't remember what you have on that truck for accessories but in stock form half the truck is over 3000lbs.

Make sure you are on a flat hard surface with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom