Tobacco Roots Trail Ride July 8th - 9th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am backpacking that weekend. I think I can do the weekend after...
That is a possibility...I'll keep you posted.

Hey TC, when did you do the damage? We didn't have any issues going back until we got on Norris road. Overheated the fuel pump again. Going to have to put an intank pump I guess. Thanks again, we had a great time just wished we could have spent the nite. Sam had it pretty well figured out by the time we were off the trail and the 40 survived
I did it on the way back down. 7000 lbs comes down a bit hard sometimes!! I just tried to pick a bumpier line...

I think I made the right decision to skip this trip. While it's still my daily driver, I can't risk something breaking. Not to worry, I plan to attend other rides!

Instead, I went over to Potosi campground on Saturday afternoon and set up next to the creek. I'm glad I got there fairly early because even after nightfall people were still driving in hoping to find an empty spot. I'd like to say the time there was enjoyable, but the flies (both biting and non-biting) were out in full force and were voracious. It was a little bit annoying, to say the least. The next morning, I hurried through breakfast because the flies were returning and I headed over to Pony to hit the more mild (but still exciting) trails and do what I named, "The Pony Mine Tour". If you follow the link below, I tracked my route with my tablet that's mounted in the truck using an Android app called "GAIA GPS". It was a fun route that any of our vehicles can handle but full of beautiful views and lots of neat abandoned mining buildings. So, if anyone wants to retrace my route, check it out! And, if anyone is interested in going out there but don't want to do it alone, let me know and I'd be happy to lead the way.

GaiaGPS - Pony mine tour

Hope everyone has a good week and I'll see you Saturday for the meeting.

Rover Chris
Not a bad call. I'd like to get over there at some point.

Snow is melted off and now it's pretty swampy at the top. We had a great time. I bent a rear lca and have some shiny new HD's coming from Slee. I'm thinking of getting a few winched and locked trucks to take a stab at McKelvey on Saturday July 21st. You want in on that?

I might be up for that. I have to see what my schedual is with my wifes swiming. I know she has a 3 day event up at Flathead around the 15th.

You guys going to post any pics to this thread or just to the site? I'd love to go up your direction one of these days and pictures of technical trails help with my motivation ; )

Micah

North meadow creek - Google Drive
what i have compiled so far. mostly panos of the lake and camping but a couple videos and pictures of the technical parts but they do not really do it justice.

I also did not get any pictures of the moments that i should have. TC's 80 was teetering on his front diff on a rock and both front wheels were in the air. that was pretty funny. he crested a hill and hit the rock just right.

Or when the 40's fuel pump decided to act up 25 ft from the top of the hill and they had to winch it up the rest of the way.

Thank you for sharing that album! Looks like a good trip.

The pictures look great. I am really sorry i missed this one!

Tc i sent you a pm. Sorry about the spelling. Beer 30 started early today.

I added more pictures to the album of the aftermath to my fj. New dents/scrapes on just about everything. Cant say they are all from this trip but the majority are. Hit my rear link frame mounts on both sides, rear diff, both sliders in multiple places , factory skids are pretty screwed up, cross member has alot of scrapes and managed to reshape all of the bolt heads on it. Both lower control arms have scrapes. I think the muffler dent was from the ringing rocks ride. The passenger side rear link mount that doesnt have the skid on it is really mangled and im hoping that sailor can help me with this. Couldnt get ithe skid on before the trip..

But it still drives straight and i didnt break anything! :) No weird noises yet either

Snow is melted off and now it's pretty swampy at the top. We had a great time. I bent a rear lca and have some shiny new HD's coming from Slee. I'm thinking of getting a few winched and locked trucks to take a stab at McKelvey on Saturday July 21st. You want in on that?
Bummed I missed this trip, was out of town. I'd go to McLelvey. Gunna have to take the Heep on that one though:( if that's OK?

I added more pictures to the album of the aftermath to my fj. New dents/scrapes on just about everything. Cant say they are all from this trip but the majority are. Hit my rear link frame mounts on both sides, rear diff, both sliders in multiple places , factory skids are pretty screwed up, cross member has alot of scrapes and managed to reshape all of the bolt heads on it. Both lower control arms have scrapes. I think the muffler dent was from the ringing rocks ride. The passenger side rear link mount that doesnt have the skid on it is really mangled and im hoping that sailor can help me with this. Couldnt get ithe skid on before the trip..

But it still drives straight and i didnt break anything! :) No weird noises yet either

I knew you would "probably" be ok!!

fun trail. blew out my c bushings on this trip. pretty rough ride back to missoula. also took a pretty good chunk out of the sidewall of a week old tire.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

TC did we ever get any pictures posted when the 4 of us went up and made it all the way up to the lakes?

I did'nt get any pictures of the trip itself, though I do have pictures of your fishing victory! That was a really fun trail. I'd like to do it when it's dry.

When do you think Mckelvey will be moderately dry enough to try this year? I couldn’t get up there last fall the weekend I was trying to so I’m excited to finally get up there. We’ve had a fair amount more snow down this way this year. Has your snowfall been above avg up there too?

So are you guys doing this trail again this year?? And have you planned some trips already that are not on the calendar, the other question is are you planning a future trip to the rubicon trail??

When do you think Mckelvey will be moderately dry enough to try this year? I couldn’t get up there last fall the weekend I was trying to so I’m excited to finally get up there. We’ve had a fair amount more snow down this way this year. Has your snowfall been above avg up there too?

So are you guys doing this trail again this year?? And have you planned some trips already that are not on the calendar, the other question is are you planning a future trip to the rubicon trail??

I know that I will be at some point during the summer. I really wanna see the McKelvey section of this trail since we didn’t do it. I hope it makes the official club run trail rides calendar if not we can always just plan for a weekend for us all to do it. I know that @JohnnyOshow22 wants to do this trail as soon as possible and doesn’t care how much snow there is and think we’ll make it. I stupidly said I’ll follow his 80 up the mountain and he can drag me up but I have my doubts as to how far we’ll make it if we don’t wait till at least July :)

Other trips that haven’t made the calander but I know that @TommyGuns and I want to hit the st Anthony dunes first weekend in May. I know someone mentioned that at the club meeting last night. They said they are working on a tenitive schedule with a lot of the same trails as last year and a lot of new to us ones in the Dillion area.

Rubicon is going to be a next summer deal for me maybe. Not sure if my daily driver is that committed yet. Looks like fun.

i would like to do the rubicon next summer, if not the rubithon maybe 4 or 5 folks that want to go. I need another coupla of months to have the 45 ready, but i would like to try a few more trails with the club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom