May 406 TRAIL RIDE – Saturday May 4th St. Anthony Sand Dunes (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here comes our first official club run of the year. What better place than some warm sand? Here we come Sand Dunes!

This one is intentionally open ended. Because it will be about a 3 hour drive for many of us, there are options to camp either the night before, that Saturday night, or both to help break up the travel time. Therefore, its best for those going to jump in on here and let everyone know you plans. This will help coordinate everyone on Saturday morning plus help capture enough camping space.

The main plan is to hit the sand at 10am on Saturday, so plan to group up and be ready for our group discussion starting around 9:30am. Remember, we will pass out flags for everyone as it is mandatory. As usual, bring your comm.s, and GRMS is our required minimum while many will be using HAM. A few more specifics and coordinates will be shared a few days prior to the weekend.

By May 1st, the entire dunes area should be open. You can also find some more details here:
St. Anthony Sand Dunes | Bureau of Land Management - https://www.blm.gov/visit/st-anthony-sand-dunes

Also, since this is our first run of the year, here is a reminder of our general club run rules and recommendations:

MINIMUM VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS
The following are minimum vehicle requirements which, if not met, disqualify a vehicle from participating in an event:
  • Vehicle Registration: Must be current
  • Liability Insurance Coverage: Must be current, and meet applicable governmental requirements.
  • Service Brakes: Must be able to stall engine when idling in 2nd gear (1st gear if 3 speed)
  • Parking Brake: Must be able to stall engine when idling in 3rd gear (2nd gear if 3 speed)
  • Brake Lights: Must be functioning properly
  • Tires: All tires, including spare, must have at least 2/32″ of tread. Spare tire must be fully inflated. Air down to a maximum of 15 psi prior to safety inspection
  • Roll Bar: Any open vehicle must have a roll bar firmly attached to the vehicle
  • Seat Belts: Required for driver and each passenger
  • Fire Extinguisher: Must show full charge on gauge and/or have seal intact
  • First Aid Kit: Recommended to be as complete as is reasonably possible
  • CB Radio w/Antenna Length: Not longer than 54″, unless both ends are firmly attached to the vehicle
*The Club assumes no responsibility or liability for accidents, losses, injury(s) or death resulting from the action(s) or inactions of any person(s) participating in a Club event.

Also check out our Vehicle Prep Checklist:
Vehicle Prep Checklist – 406 Cruisers - https://406cruisers.com/vehicle-prep/

WHEN: Saturday, May 4th

TIME: 10am

WHERE: St. Anthony Sand Dunes

WHO: you!

THOSE PLANNING ON GOING:
@MTsoul (camping Saturday only)
@Saul Abel (camping Friday/Saturday)
@1989FJ (camping Saturday only)
@geo5 (camping Friday/Saturday)
@4gotalot (camping Friday/Saturday)
@Tanaman (camping?)
@CCRider (camping Friday, maybe Sat.)

…jump in if you think you are going and if you plan to camp on any of the nights

See you there!

Last edited:
Count me in! I normally drive down Saturday morning DEPARTING Mama Macs at 6:00-6:15. If you plan on picking up lunch at Mama Macs, call it in the day before for a pick up at 6:00am so its ready when they open. This time I hope to get off work early and drive down Friday. Staying Saturday night would be a good idea after long day on the sand dunes then dinner in town.

Adding info; I would recommend going by way of Ennis and past Henrys Lake instead of the canyon due to construction and possible 30 min wait.

Last edited:
For those of you using the Club's flags, they are all firesticks. So the threads on the bottom are like a CB antenna. Some have threads only, some have a double washer and nut to fasten into a bracket with a hole. Plan accordingly. Zip ties and tape might be good to have. Just sayin'. :hillbilly: . Flags are required on the Dunes.

Trail riding season begins!!

GMRS radios will be essential on this ride- let’s use channel 15 (HAM 462.5500)

Additional specifics:
Map below indicates
Last gas in St Anthony (recommended 3/4 tank to reduce sloshing issues)

Saturday meetup/air down spot - Red Road Day Use area
44.01587, -111.78458

Route we’ll travel moving east to west through the dunes on ‘Designated Route’ highlighted blue on map.

Lunch at Elgin lakes area approx
43.96947, -111.85483

End of our route Nine Mile Knoll day use access 43.94234, -111.95060

IMG_6249.png

Camping is just north of meetup location

I will be heading down early afternoon on Friday and will have a better idea of camping specs- will post up coordinates here on Mud and/or satellite comms to Saturday arrival folks.

Additional notes from our club dunes expert @4gotalot
-tire air pressure- plan on tweaking air level per conditions/tire type/size
-plan on 4wd and higher engine RPMs than rock crawling
-binoculars and radio communication essential to safety and route finding
-secure loose items in vehicle
-don’t roll over

Chime in any questions.

Last edited:
Awesome write up Fellas! The Club has the required flags to share with members and Matt just delivered them to me. I'll bring the flags down on Friday night. It would be great to get a head count so that we don't have to tote all of the flags down (and back).

We will most likely stay both nights. Super excited for this trip! If you've never done the dunes, you're in for a real treat! Completely different experience from overlanding or crawling. The views of the Tetons are pretty spectacular too!

Don't forget to post up if you are going. We will see everyone down there!

Trail riding season begins!!

GMRS radios will be essential on this ride- let’s use channel 15 (HAM 462.5500)

Additional specifics:
Map below indicates
Last gas in St Anthony (recommended 3/4 tank to reduce sloshing issues)

Saturday meetup/air down spot - Red Road Day Use area
44.01587, -111.78458

Route we’ll travel moving east to west through the dunes on ‘Designated Route’ highlighted blue on map.

Lunch at Elgin lakes area approx
43.96947, -111.85483

End of our route Nine Mile Knoll day use access 43.94234, -111.95060

View attachment 3617285

Camping is just north of meetup location

I will be heading down early afternoon on Friday and will have a better idea of camping specs- will post up coordinates here on Mud and/or satellite comms to Saturday arrival folks.

Additional notes from our club dunes expert @4gotalot
-tire air pressure- plan on tweaking air level per conditions/tire type/size
-plan on 4wd high range and higher engine RPMs than rock crawling
-binoculars and radio communication essential to safety and route finding
-secure loose items in vehicle
-don’t roll over

Chime in any questions.

-No expert here but "low range" is a must to keep the engine in its power band that you will learn very quickly in your vehicle. Use "high range" for that high speed big hill climb but that's up to you.
-3/4 of a tank or just above is were I will run the 200LC. Just trying to keep fuel out of the charcoal canister. Testing in progress concerning high fuel temp returning to the fuel tank.

Don't want to miss the first ride of the year so......I'm planning to head down late Fri. afternoon. Will camp Fri night and "possibly" Sat. night. Would be great to get a 4x4avan traveling together for those headed out Friday.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all - I'm out for this weekend. 😩
Have fun in the sand!

@1989FJ I think it is just you and I leaving Saturday. I plan to be at the Four Corners Exxon station no later then 6:15am. I plan to hit the road right away. I will be fueled up before hand and no stop at Mama Macs for me. What were you thinking?

@1989FJ I think it is just you and I leaving Saturday. I plan to be at the Four Corners Exxon station no later then 6:15am. I plan to hit the road right away. I will be fueled up before hand and no stop at Mama Macs for me. What were you thinking?
Sounds like a good plan to me, see you there Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom