Tobacco Roots Trail Ride July 8th - 9th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No winch and locker-rear make this a sketchy trip? The album showing you guys stacking rocks under the 100 series right?

No winch and locker-rear make this a sketchy trip? The album showing you guys stacking rocks under the 100 series right?
No winch and lockers makes going to the further lakes a sketchy trip. We had plenty of un-winched and un-locked trucks up there last year going to the lower Twin Lakes. We did stack rocks for the 100. Better to stack rocks than damage something. The rear lca on a 100 is a bit thinner than on the 80!

I am in, lets roll!!!

I'm in(if my parts show up)

wrong fittings showed up, by the time we were on plan d or e finally got it put together. got done before daylight so it's good. think we're good to go , see you in a couple hours. Going to half to come out tomorrow nite, gonna be a fun day

Last edited:
i am in for wheeling the first day. might try and ride shot gun the second day if its too sketchy. if you say "You'll probably be fine....probably."

I don't think I am going to make it. My 4runner has no skid plates, and I have sliders in my garage waiting to be welded on. I would hate to crunch something just before mounting the sliders...

So want to do this trip.

I've got a 3 day weekend... was planning camping in the Gravalies with the lady. Didn't realize this north meadow creek was as two day deal though.

My bro is plnning making this one too. Driving in from missoula. Should i tell him about 830 in norris to meet up? Is there a last stop for gas that would be a good one?

Is it at all possible I could do one day on this ride and get out?

G/F and I were planning two vehicles for our trip. Hers is loaded already and has her RTT on it. But it's NOT capable of Meadow Creek and we don't want to just leave it somewhere two days.

i am in for wheeling the first day. might try and ride shot gun the second day if its too sketchy. if you say "You'll probably be fine....probably."
The second day will be running the first day in reverse. This trip is an out and back. I understand the concern about the probably statement, but there are a lot of unforeseen variables with a trail like this. It's certainly not the craziest trail out there, but it definitely challenges trucks on 33's with 2" of lift.

So want to do this trip.

I've got a 3 day weekend... was planning camping in the Gravalies with the lady. Didn't realize this north meadow creek was as two day deal though.
It can certainly be done in a long day, but this is an overnight trip. It's pretty slow going with 6 trucks. Several technical spots, and snow may still be an issue.

My bro is plnning making this one too. Driving in from missoula. Should i tell him about 830 in norris to meet up? Is there a last stop for gas that would be a good one?
That will be a pretty good time. We might be closer to 8:45...

Is it at all possible I could do one day on this ride and get out?

G/F and I were planning two vehicles for our trip. Hers is loaded already and has her RTT on it. But it's NOT capable of Meadow Creek and we don't want to just leave it somewhere two days.

It is possible to do in a day, but my official answer would be that running it solo to get out may not be the best plan. That is the safe 406 Cruisers answer. But let your experience and wisdom guide you. You would be able to get it a fair distance on the trail and leave it along side the trail.

Doesn't look like I'm going.

We are leaving town Friday night. Gonna be up in the gravelies all weekend.

Well i should be fine on 33's and no lift. and by challenges im sure you mean scraping skid plates or rockers . :)

How was the ride?
Snow is melted off and now it's pretty swampy at the top. We had a great time. I bent a rear lca and have some shiny new HD's coming from Slee. I'm thinking of getting a few winched and locked trucks to take a stab at McKelvey on Saturday July 21st. You want in on that?

How was the ride?
i had an amazing time. except for the bugs
the fjc tracks straight and tom going to give me his factory skids to replace mine if i want. they got pretty mangled but all the more reason to upgrade!

Snow is melted off and now it's pretty swampy at the top. We had a great time. I bent a rear lca and have some shiny new HD's coming from Slee. I'm thinking of getting a few winched and locked trucks to take a stab at McKelvey on Saturday July 21st. You want in on that?
I am backpacking that weekend. I think I can do the weekend after...

Hey TC, when did you do the damage? We didn't have any issues going back until we got on Norris road. Overheated the fuel pump again. Going to have to put an intank pump I guess. Thanks again, we had a great time just wished we could have spent the nite. Sam had it pretty well figured out by the time we were off the trail and the 40 survived

I think I made the right decision to skip this trip. While it's still my daily driver, I can't risk something breaking. Not to worry, I plan to attend other rides!

Instead, I went over to Potosi campground on Saturday afternoon and set up next to the creek. I'm glad I got there fairly early because even after nightfall people were still driving in hoping to find an empty spot. I'd like to say the time there was enjoyable, but the flies (both biting and non-biting) were out in full force and were voracious. It was a little bit annoying, to say the least. The next morning, I hurried through breakfast because the flies were returning and I headed over to Pony to hit the more mild (but still exciting) trails and do what I named, "The Pony Mine Tour". If you follow the link below, I tracked my route with my tablet that's mounted in the truck using an Android app called "GAIA GPS". It was a fun route that any of our vehicles can handle but full of beautiful views and lots of neat abandoned mining buildings. So, if anyone wants to retrace my route, check it out! And, if anyone is interested in going out there but don't want to do it alone, let me know and I'd be happy to lead the way.

GaiaGPS - Pony mine tour

Hope everyone has a good week and I'll see you Saturday for the meeting.

Rover Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom