To Swingout or Not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star
Threads
Lately, there's been a lot of talk and threads on rear bumpers and swing out spare carriers & attachments. Let's hear opinions both ways on this. It might help some who are undecided to understand what's involved, both good & bad. I'll start:

Anybody that has had to deal with the stock spare setup on the 80 and other rigs that have a similar setup in bad weather or wet and sloppy road conditions can relate to my first reason to get spare out from under the rear: Convenience. Second: Room in two categories. 1. Ground clearance/departure angle. 2. Room to add an aux fuel tank or rear winch or both.

OK, so we got the spare out from underneath - What to do with it? Put it in luggage compartment or on roof rack? That's OK for short trips or outings where not much gear is carried or for temporary spare storage. But what about expedition type trips that require a more permanent and convenient place? Which brings us to the swing out rack either JDM or after market setups, hitch or bumper mounted. This was my dilemma until I sat down and reasoned it out.

My vote is for the rear bumper mounted swing out for these reasons: Strength, convenience, and room. Most after market bumpers with the spare swing out option are far stronger and offer better protection than the OEM setup including the JDM swing out body mounted spare tire holder. For having to change a flat, no option that I can think of puts the spare in a more convenient place, without intruding into the cargo area inside or on roof rack, than the swing out carrier. True, it can be inconvenient on a DD or grocery getter to have to deal with the swing out. This actually, I think, is the biggest hurdle most have to deal with when deciding on a swing out or not. Having a swing out, is a more efficient use of space or room. Some may also choose not to go swing out for extreme clearance purposes such as rock crawling requirements with departure angle.

One nice thing, that some may not have thought of with the spare on the swing out is it gives you a very convenient place to hang your tire chains after using them until they dry out or get washed off, if you've been using them in the mud. Just clip them on your spare when your done with them out on the trail, and if you need them again before you get home, they're right there. If not, leave them on until you get home to help keep the interior dryer and/or cleaner.

Let's hear your inputs!

Last edited:
If you need the interior room, a swing is a good option. I don't, it's only the wife and I, so even on 10 day Moab runs there is plenty of room inside. When in town, the rig is used for biz, I'm in the back often, so a swing would be a pain. I prefer it inside, much less chance of getting stolen, it's not getting sun baked, no worries of dropping it on ledges, etc, most times I don't carry it in town, only load it for the trail, trips.

I like it under the back where the salt can get at it and corrode the rim real good. Where it scrapes on the ground on any incline a minivan couldn't ascend. Furthermore the surprise that it has flattened x number of hours/days/weeks/years would be lost if it were somewhere it could be seen. Nope - it's under the truck for me :)

I'm a little biased since I just finished up building a swing out tire carrier that mounts within my stock bumper, so I like the idea of a swingout. BUT, I don't carry a spare around town at all, since I have an OBA system and a patch kit, oh and I live in the city with a repair shop on every corner. But I ran Moab last year with my spare tire ratchet-strapped down to my cargo box and I didn't like it inside the truck much at all. So, I just attach my carrier to the truck when heading out to wheel or camp.

I'm a little biased since I just finished up building a swing out tire carrier that mounts within my stock bumper, so I like the idea of a swingout. BUT, I don't carry a spare around town at all, since I have an OBA system and a patch kit, oh and I live in the city with a repair shop on every corner. But I ran Moab last year with my spare tire ratchet-strapped down to my cargo box and I didn't like it inside the truck much at all. So, I just attach my carrier to the truck when heading out to wheel or camp.

How about posting a photo of your tire carrier? I am think about the same thing and would love to see a good example!

I have a 4x4labs bumper kit on order which is being shipped this week. I went without swingouts because the 80 is already rather large on tight trails. I really dont want the spare hanging off the rear all the time anyway.

Around town I don't plan to carry the spare at all. On the trail I will put it in the cargo area. On the rare occassion that I need all three rows for an out of town family excursion, I plan to carry it on a receiver mount that that can easily be removed. I even thought of having that mount swing out; we'll see.

Last edited:
I went with the swingout decision too, and don't regret it even though there have been times when there hasn't been room to swing the bar to access the rear cargo area.

Deciding to go with a swingout leads to more decision points:
- one pivot, or two?
- what else do you want on the bumper?
- pivot on driver or passenger side?
- tyre behind driver or passenger?

The answers for me:
- one pivot; I don't want to open and lock two bars every time I open the back
- tyre and fuel holders on one bar; I don't like the smell of diesel inside the Cruiser
- pivot on LHS; when parallel parked, don't want to have to walk around the bar to access the back; and since I have RHD the latch is conveniently on the driver's side
- tyre behind driver; blocks less of the view than on passenger side

Thanks Luke for the great setup!

what we need is a swingup! With motors. Attached to the roof rack... :)

I've oft wondered about a swing 'down' . . .

When open, would be an incline....tire on inside of frame....disconnect & let tire slide to ground...
Slide dead tire up, connect, swing up to lock....

frikken 35's (on my 60) are getting heavier and heavier as I get older & older :)

I'll throw my 2 cents in here, keep in mind I have a stock rear bumper and I am put off by the cost of a rear bumper with swingout. I have to access the back quite a bit, I have two kids with another on the way, so constantly swinging out the spare is going to be a hassle for me and especially for the wife when she drives it with kids/groceries in hand. Also, my wife drives the 80 whenever the weather is bad, and she likes the visibility of the cabin of the 80, adding a swingout would eliminate the rear visibility.

I plan to raise the spare when I get time to help with clearance, plus I don't wheel very difficult trails (yet) where I blow tires and beads on a regular basis.

I am voting no on the swingout for $$ and convenience for myself right now, but I am sure it suits other people better than myself. I do plan on getting a rear bumper soon, but no swingout for me.

Personally, I rarely carry a spare. I have OBA, a patch kit and a can of that fix a flat stuff tire shops love so much. However, my 80 is not daily driven and it is not an expedition rig. If I am going on a multiple day trip, we always have a base camp and my spare gets hauled up and chained to a tree. Personally, I have never needed my spare. Ever. I have always been able to drive out on the tires I drove in on.

Personally, I rarely carry a spare. I have OBA, a patch kit and a can of that fix a flat stuff tire shops love so much. However, my 80 is not daily driven and it is not an expedition rig. If I am going on a multiple day trip, we always have a base camp and my spare gets hauled up and chained to a tree. Personally, I have never needed my spare. Ever. I have always been able to drive out on the tires I drove in on.

True tires have greatly improved, are cut much less often than years ago. I have only cut one in the last ~5yrs and wheel mostly in rock. It wasn't that bad of a cut, probably could have been plugged enough to get off of the trail, but was easier just to change it.

On our new years run a 100 cut two, we were able to plug the second one, IIRC about a dozen plugs in the sidewall.:hillbilly: It made it off of the trail and the ~100 mile highway trip home, but could have been a real pickle. It was new years, so nobody open, we were in the middle of podunk, among 17 rigs his was the only one with that weird 5 bolt pattern, so were looking at swapping a tire onto one of his rims on the trail. On the same run a year ago that rig blew the front diff and had to be dragged off of the trail, big fun!:hillbilly:

It is a bit of a pain to have to open 2 swingouts to reach the back.

Should be noted,though, that for those of us who don't use the rig only or mostly for wheeling, and do use it mostly locally in town where help is as far as a phone call, that it's very easy to remove and replace the swingouts if they become too much of a pain opening and closing them. Takes all of 2 or 3 minutes. So, could take those off for town and put back for wheeling. And I've only had a flat once or twice if that in town over the last 20 years or so with flimsy street tires, so not too likely with MT/Rs.

Plus gives you a chance to inspect and squirt some grease in the bearings.

-edited for typo-

Last edited:
I have the JDM swingout on my truck, and I really like it. The only thing I would change would be having it mounted on the left side instead of the right. Visibility isn't a problem up to a 33" tire on it, and accessing the back isn't really that big of a pain. It just takes a two-step process to a three-step process. The only time my wife has complained about it is when people park too close behind.
Definitely big on the pros of not having it underneath, and not taking up space in the back (Need all the space I can get back there for the kid's stuff).

My vote is for swingout!

If I did not have a 3rd row (four kids), it would lay flat in the back with drawers on top of that for tools etc, and I'd just tie down my hi-lift. 80's are huge, if you have the full cargo area open that's easy.

I hate swingouts. Both because I get in the cargo area all the time, but more because I hate not being able to see out the back. A 35 fully blocks your rear view of traffic, unless you offset it so far that you've really added a lot of weight hanging off of one corner.

That is why mine is on the roof rack. I lose big trip roof rack capability to a degree, but you can pack around a spare and put some light stuff on top if needed, so it's not a big deal. If I can go on a big camping trip with four kids and loaded to the hilt with car camping stuff for kids aged 4-10, then I have no sympathy for all of you :princess: who don't even have 3rd rows :flipoff2:

Back on topic, if you have a 3rd row, a 35x10.5x16 (Interco SSR) will fit standing up in that area with a hi-lift up against the seats flat on the floor and tools beside it. This holds the spare very tight with cargo tie downs and doesn't cost you much in space in the sense that your entire roof rack is then free.

But if you take this same 10.5" wide tire and lay it flat if you don't have a 3rd row, you are only losing a foot of vertical cargo space and can put drawers on top of that. To me, that's a no brainer, but if a) you don't care about rear visibility and b) an extra couple of steps to get to the cargo area is no big deal, then the swingout is the perfect place for the spare.

Here is what the 35" SSR looks like standing up in the cargo area. Keep in mind these pics have the tire loose - once you strap in down it has to be in the middle.
SSR Inside.jpg
SSR Inside From Rear.jpg

I have gashed two tires on the trail and needed my spare - once it was on a steep/muddy hill climb strewn with sharp rocks. The spare was still under the truck at that time and was a real PITA to get it out and once I finally did it was flat (luckily we had compressor). Everytime you really bottom out with it under the truck you pull the seam on the tire and it goes flat.

The second gash I incurred I had finally bought my lightly used IPOR rear bumper with tire swing (took a lot of luck and patience). Cut the time in half to getting back on the trail having the rear swing, and my spare was operable.

On the downside - it is more of a pain to get the back of the truck. My wife cannot move the tire swing due to its weight and the slow seizure that is happening in the spindle - even though I used white lithium grease when I assembled it. Thinking about putting a grease fitting on the spindle.

Well I JUST got my IPOR. I hated using the stupid spare under the truck as a plow in the snow. I wanted it out of the way and wanted to ultimately add an aux. tank. I have zero interest in storing the tire inside the truck and that would just piss off the :princess:

Keeping it on the roof rack, yeah right, read my sig line. So I have two options: on the bumper or not at all. Now I will say that in 12 years I have never had a flat...that I can remember. So its just insurance. The spare I have is the spare the truck came with. And its 2" shorter than what I have on there now so its not a good idea anyway.

The problems we have encountered revolve around space and security. Our garage depth fits the LX now from the front bumper barely touching a pad I have on the wall, to the rear WITH the spare mounted and my wife and I BARELY have room to wiggle past it EVERY TIME w have to get into the truck. I have been parking the truck in backwards to make it easier of my wife.

So now. Do I just say hell with it, take off the spare? I've been thinking about it. I have the bitchin' tire repair kit: 01. Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit . I have the hi-lift, the CO2 (working on York OBA), I have just about everything I need to try and repair. But my wife drives this truck 90% of the time. Is she going to repair the tire herself? Ok that would be really hot if she did :grinpimp:

So I am in the middle of trying to decide. BTW, I dont mind at all opening up the swingouts. My wife is ok with it but would really prefer not to have to operate them.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here, keep in mind I have a stock rear bumper and I am put off by the cost of a rear bumper with swingout. I have to access the back quite a bit, I have two kids with another on the way, so constantly swinging out the spare is going to be a hassle for me and especially for the wife when she drives it with kids/groceries in hand. Also, my wife drives the 80 whenever the weather is bad, and she likes the visibility of the cabin of the 80, adding a swingout would eliminate the rear visibility.

I plan to raise the spare when I get time to help with clearance, plus I don't wheel very difficult trails (yet) where I blow tires and beads on a regular basis.

I am voting no on the swingout for $$ and convenience for myself right now, but I am sure it suits other people better than myself. I do plan on getting a rear bumper soon, but no swingout for me.

Agree with edog. I like the rear visibility when backing up and when I occasionally haul something large enough to require the tail gate down I would be out of luck unless I could drive with the swingout open. Not sure if this is feasible or not.

How about posting a photo of your tire carrier? I am think about the same thing and would love to see a good example!

Sure, I was planning on some photos after it was all done, but I can put some raw steel shots up for you guys. Still working out a few details though.. I'm working today but will put some up tomorrow.

Wow, we've got some excellent points and inputs here. There's some patterns developing, too. One reason for not having a swing out might be determined by where you live or park your rig, specifically security. Some have even commented that they don't carry a spare and their reasons sound convincing. (If I didn't carry a spare I would have a flat the 1st day!!! That's just my luck!) Visibility was also mentioned as a reason for not wanting a swing out. Nay, you got me confused, man. First you say that you hate not being able to see with a swing out mounted. Then you provide pics of standing your spare behind the 3rd row seats.....:confused: :D. DD usage or frequent access - almost a no brainer - no swingout. I got to admit, even though I vote for the swing out, when my :princess: was using the 80 for a DD to work, which of course includes shopping, I pulled off the swing arm and stuck the spare back underneath :meh:. That's after she threatened to just leave it unlatched and let 'r buck. The point that I really hadn't put much credo to originally, was from wussyPup in post#7 about which side to put tire swing out on. When I ordered mine, I remembered seeing pics of the JDM and did the same. But I think you would have better visability if spare was behind driver. Good discussion so far! Let's hear some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom