Title, and VIN # Qestion (Long) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
The frame on my 1979 4x4 p/u is rotted beyond repair here in NJ. So using the net, I found a few junk yards that have good rust free 79 frames in CA, and CO (for a good price!). So my first idea was to just get a new frame and swap my body and everything else onto the good frame(still illegal I guess). But when I was thinking about that I realized that my body would need some rust work as well, so why not just get a complete frame, bed, and cab, for almost the same cost and shipping cost as the frame would cost alone. So that is where I am headed.
However I when I called the NJ DMV they claim that any vehicle that is in a junk yard can NEVER EVER be put back on the road legally! They claim that all you can do with a junk yard vehicle is take parts, but the frame becomes null and void. So they told all I can do is buy a good truck that still has a current title.
Both junk yards will provide me with a bill of sale, and the CA yard will put a vehicle Acq number (whatever that is!) on the bill of sale. So, can I buy the good body/frame, get it to NJ, swap my interior, engine, trans, etc and then swap the vin plates from my rotted truck onto the good body/frame, and use the VIN ## from the rotted truck on the good truck? Then I could just have my rotted truck crushed. Where is the VIN number located on my 79? I know there is one VIN plate on the drivers door jamb, and one plate on the pass side wheel well, and there is no plate on the dash board. Am I missing any places where the vin is? Is it stamped on the frame?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Zack

Not sure specifically on a 1979, but there should be a tag welded to the frame on an outside edge of a frame rail. At least there was on my 1986.

Well, there is no way that I will find the VIN on my frame, as it is very rotted in that area. Also at some point, some work was done on the frame, and that spot might have been welded over. Is the VIN number stamped, or is it on a info plate?

Thanks,
Zack

So can I do as I mentioned, pull the vin plates off my rusty body and frame, and put them on the rust free body and frame, and use the orig VIN from the rusty truck, and forget about the orig VIN from the rust free truck?

Thanks,
Zack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom