Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to be buying some 33's and am deciding between the BFG Mudterrain and the Goodyear MTR. Are there some others I should look at? I want to use them for road/offroad/show driving. I have heard the Goodyear are better on road and off but dont know if they are worth the extra $ over the BFG. Should I look at Super Swampers or are they strictly offroad. Also, can I mount them on my stock 69' fj40 wheels if they are 12.5" wide? Thanks.

in a 33x12.5 I would pick the Goodyear over the BFG, either way have them sipped.

and no IMOP you can not run a 12.5 on a 5.5 wheel.

John H

12.5 section x .66 = 8.25 or 8" wide rim
10.5 section x .66 = 6.93 or 7" wide rim
9.5 section x .66 = 6.27 or 6" wide rim - and I do know guys who run 33 x 9.5 tires on stock Cruiser rims with no problems. BFG may still have that size available.

Swamper Radials are another more aggressive option.

As noted, sipe the centers for wet/street traction.

From the people I've talked to, Firestone Destination MTs are the up and comming tire. Not a lot of them out there yet, but they are getting a lot of good press. I'm yet to hear anything bad about them, on or off-road. If they had them in my size, they would be my tire of choice, FWIW.

I just put a set of 31x10.50 interco trxuss mt's on my 80 and am liking them so far.
theyre not a whole lot louder on the freeway than the sport king at's that were on it, and the rides pretty comparable. Took them through some mud yesterday and really liked how they handled. I was going to go with bfg mt's but someone at work recommended these, so far im liking them, like the looks better too. other thing is supposed to be able to air down better than bfg's. Paid $118 a tire for these, think 33's are around $130, at that they're cheaper than the bfg's. probably dont wear as well, but then again its easier to convince your wife you need new tires when they wear out and you need them, i.e. going to be stuck with bfg at's on the 60 and 40 for a while. :beer:

I love my BFG KM's they do get louder after some highway wear but still similar to the At's I ran before. The guys that balanced my 35's commented on how true they were and compared them to Michelins in terms of roundness and ease of balance. They really dig deep in the nasty stuff and I've pulled a few Ford's and Chevy's out without spinning a tire 8)

How wide is stock? Mine came with 7in white spokes. I ran 33X12.5 BFG's. It was a squeeze though and sometimes they touched the draglink(?) between the steering box and the bellcrank. That was before I had PS.

[quote author=78 One owner link=board=1;threadid=5812;start=msg46297#msg46297 date=1064951968]
How wide is stock? Mine came with 7in white spokes. I ran 33X12.5 BFG's. It was a squeeze though and sometimes they touched the draglink(?) between the steering box and the bellcrank. That was before I had PS.
[/quote]

on a 78 fj40 stock wheels were 15x5.5(15x6 1980+) yours were a dealer add on, prolly with the wrong backspacing.

John H

Probably right about the add on. Wrong about the backspacing though. Every other aftermarket wheel I've tried since has been wrong though.

Got 33x12.5 TSL Radials, much better offroad than any other radial on the market besides other SS radials, but wet on road traction is not great, siping should help with that. Not very expensive and ride pretty smooth for a super swamper. Then again my daily drive is less than a mile round trip and I stay under about 30 mph, so its easily bearable for me, if your truck is a long distance commuter/DD then you might not want super swampers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom